website statistics
12 minutes ago, dcro said:

What? Maybe in America. Europeans don't pay attention to any of this.

Yeah! Europe has no clue about Snowboard and Freestyle Skiing that’s why they have 21 gold medals in Snowboard and 17 gold medals in Freestyle Skiing!

France shunned these sports so hard they hosted 3 Winter X Games Europe events in Tignes from 2010-2012. :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, rybak said:

So, athletics may have another new event? What this time? Mixed NOC mixed gender 4x333m hurdles relay?

No, it’s a Mixed Cross Country Relay. According to ITG they’ve also asked for the inclusion on the Women’s 50km Walk Race as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

ITG has confirmed that the following sports did not request additional events for Paris 2024: Archery, badminton, basketball, equestrian, football, hockey, rugby, tennis and volleyball.

Those numbers don’t match the information provided by the IOC originally, so either some have rescinded their requests, or they have requested other changes such as quota additions/reduction.  

Just now, NearPup said:

Good riddance on the 200 events IMO. I just wish they'd replace them with 5000m events rather than that BS kayakcross thing.

I guess I’m in the minority of people who actually like the 200m events. 

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So they removed the traditional 500 m events to bring in the more "hip and exciting" 200 m events, just to have the same removed after only 2-3 Olympics to bring in the next new "hip and exciting" flavor. And people wonder why ICF are a broke, bottom of the barrel federation in the Olympic family (and probably even outside of it).

I don’t know how much of this is the ICF’s fault. They’ve basically been asked/told to accept these changes by the IOC, or face loosing their place on the Olympic program. 

The ICF has it’s faults like every other international sports federation, but I’ve always found the ICF to be one of the better ones. They’ve done a fairly good job of growing the sport the last couple of years. They have a strong World Cup circuit. They broadcast all their major events. I’m not the most familiar with the politics of the ICF, but it seems like they are under good governance. Overall, they’re a solid IF in my opinion.

Canoe has been ever evolving distance wise. Began with 1000m and 10000m races, then 500m races, then 200m races, and now we see the occasional 5000m race at multi-sports games.

On 20/06/2020 at 09:27, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto I would guess ISSF is asking for Mixed Team Skeet, which would probably just be rubber-stamped by the IOC.  

Called it. 

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

And now we know what the ITU proposed: 

The IOC, which is due to confirm the Paris 2024 event programme at its Executive Board meeting next month, has outlined its opposition to new events if they increase the number of athletes but has suggested it is open to their inclusion if it is contested by the same set of competitors.”

Right, and when the ICF proposed a pair of events that would do just that, the IOC told them that they’re losing 12 quotas and won’t be allowed to have any more medal events then they currently have. :mumble::wall:

9 minutes ago, intoronto said:

12 out of 500...

500*transport*food*beds etc. Would imagine there would be savings, but cutting athletes, which make a part of the games makes 0 sense too me. What should be cut are things like "baskets of seasonal fruit' for each IOC member... etc.

Oh, you mean “the seasonal pastry to be presented to each IOC member upon entry into the country.” How the hell would we have Olympics without those measures!?! 

If the fridges weren’t “all filled with Coca Cola products,” the Olympic Games would immeasurably damaged forever!

What insane, outlandish reform will you propose next! Letting people use cards other than Visa to pay for Olympic goods? 

“No. Sports, athletes, and spectators must be cut from the Olympic Games if they are too survive.” said the IOC member while trying his second golden watch (got to have one for each hand).

I will say the comments on the Facebook posts of those articles are highly amusing. A lot of good arguments being made for deaf ears.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Losing 12 isn't so bad... but wtf @ no new events with no new athletes?

Bach needs to go

Right, that’s what pisses me off about this. They followed all of the IOC’s wishes (included more women’s events, tried to make better use of existing venues, came up with medal events that didn’t require additional athletes, etc.), and still got fucked over by them. 

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Which sprints events will get dropped? One has to assume it will be either K4 or C2.

K1 200 m is another option, but that would only unlock 24 places. 44 are needed (32 for 'extreme' + 12 ICF will lose).

I’d hazard a guess that they’ll cut C2.

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

But then again. We already have a sport for racing boats. It's called sailing. :facepalm:

No, I believe you’re thinking of rowing :p

Major news out of the ICF this morning! 

They have passed a proposal to ask the IOC to include 2 extreme canoe slalom events at Paris 2024. However, the IOC has previously informed the ICF that they will not grant them anymore medals, so the proposal is actually eliminate 2 canoe sprint events and replace them with 2 extreme canoe slalom events :yikes:

The ICF also revealed that they will lose 12 quotas from Tokyo 2020 to Paris 2024. They also penned an interesting explanation/essay that subtly attacks the IOC’s policies under Bach. 

I’ve posted links to the announcement and explain action below.

Announcement: https://www.canoeicf.com/news/extreme-slalom-one-step-closer-olympics

Explanation: https://www.canoeicf.com/news/why-icf-supporting-extreme-slalom-olympics

Confirmation of what we all assumed World Taekwondo wished to add: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101169/world-taekwondo-mixed-team-paris-2024

I’m a little surprised they haven’t asked the IOC to include Poomsae.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

In theory cross-country can be held in the first week of the games. Remember the Youth Olympics had the cross-country solely composed of those qualified in distance events.

Which is what I considered in my post above.

I tried figuring out different methods for quota allocation for the Cross Country Relay yesterday. I had the idea that athletes already assigned quotas for the distance races in track could be used to form the teams for the relay (meaning that no additional quotas would be needed, making this a fine addition to the program). However, it just seemed impossible to add the Cross Country Relay without athletes having to sacrifice their results in the individual events. So World Athletics (not IAAF you heathens) would have to get the IOC to add yet more quotas to Athletics. For me, this event isn’t worth adding to the program (which means the IOC will probably add it).

17 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Maybe a track built within the Eventing Course (without the jumps obvs) -  a MTB track would be very hard.  Hill running is a sport in itself, really.  Or the golf course perhaps.

Those are very commonly used for cross country in the US. 

I will say that the terms “cross country” and “hill running” are pretty much interchangeable in California. Most of the big high school invitationals have decent sized hills on the course. My favorite courses had climbs with 12% grades.

The building an alternate trail for cross country into the Eventing course would be more realistic than using the MTB course. The problem with MTB is that the course is mostly single track, and that wouldn’t work well for cross country.

8 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

IAAF propose to add the cross country in the Olympic event with a mixed relay

Alright, that is a proposal I did not see coming :yikes:

Just to clarify, is it men’s and women’s individual events + a mixed relay, or just a mixed relay?

48 minutes ago, Jur said:

This seems kind of unnecesary to me. At the time there are not 12 good teams in the world

One could argue that adding quotas would encourage nations to improve their programs, thus heightening the standard of play in women’s water polo, and increasing the number of nations involved.

26 minutes ago, rybak said:

Yes, 8 teams is enough for now, better to give those 52 qutoas to bring more quotas in some events in athletics or more events in karate/taekwondo.

There’s currently 10 women’s teams by the way.

We could use those quotas actually give Karate it’s full program of 2 Kata events and 10 Kumite events. Each event should only have 8 entries though, as is tradition for Karate at multi-sports games.

27 minutes ago, Jur said:

No word on Artistic Swimming when it's their biggest problem when we talk about equality in the games.

If they boot the sport they would have room and quotas for everything else they are asking.....

50m events probably have a good chance of being added, since they don’t technically require additional quotas.

It seems my High Diving prediction was right as well. I’m not sure the IOC will bite at this one though.

Women finally getting the 12 tournament in Water Polo would be nice too.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

This makes sense if UWW asks for women's beach wrestling events, it doesn't mean IOC is going to give that to them.

even though it just came to my mind , maybe they are thinking about using the same female freestyle wrestlers for the beach wrestling ? :facepalm: no more quota but more events, we can't say for certain that IOC won't like such an idea.

It would be smart. You yourself already said there’s already a large crossover between the two. 

28 minutes ago, MHSN said:

an interview with some Azerbaijani official (also has a position in UWW) made some headlines in wrestling community , that guy claims Greco-Roman will be replaced by Beach Wrestling ! :yikes: they did that for 2022 YOG and will do the same for 2024 Paris. (according to the Azeri guy)

to me it's really hard to believe that UWW will propose such a thing ! the current UWW president is from Serbia , and in most European countries Greco is more active than freestyle. in fact we usually have more wrestlers in Greco-Roman compeititon comparing to freestyle. replacing this with beach wrestling nonsense is like crime against humanity ! :thumbdown:

Seems as though I was correct in my original prediction then. Myself and @Vojthas seem to know these federations too well.