website statistics
17 minutes ago, phelps said:

this makes more sense than all the other jokes reported in the last few months, but still...

I just can't stand those mixed gender team events anymore...this thing's really got pandemic...:yikes: :facepalm: :hairpull:

and the most recent news about Bach's unopposed candidature for another mandate as the IOC President could make more damages than another Trump's mandate as US President...:nopompom: :wall:

Totally agree, they're pushing way too hard these mixed gender events, I wonder what the perception of it will be in Tokyo, as it could also backlash on the IOC if everything becomes more "artificial".

And I'm not even gonna comment on your last statement :facepalm:

This whole debate about where to reduce quotas makes for a nice reading. @intoronto went in quite details about the numbers, but each IF will have to go even further, as the IOC will encourage them to look at quota reduction on event to event basis, keeping in mind the main principles (gender equality a priority).

I would say IFs will have to find a way to get as many athletes as possible to compete in various events (like for example archery, where an athlete competes in 3 events with interesting format, but the quota number is small). But also, we shouldn't take this 10.500 limit by the IOC literally; they are forcing it for a long time, but at every Games the number is exceeded by hundereds. They aim to achieve it, but this doesn't mean they will.

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Athletics and swimming had sharp cuts from Rio to Tokyo. 

Which team sport can you cut from? Water polo received and fought back.

To be honest, athletics and swimming both exceed their quotas by hundereds at every Games & just athletics has 1900 athletes quota allocated, which is definitely a number that could be cut (and don't get me wrong, I'm an athletics fans, but 1900 really is huge number).

In team sports if only 1 player per team would be removed, it would already make a difference (as it happened with waterpolo, but the IOC caved to FINA and their request).

I'm not saying reducing quotas is necessary, but if the IOC is going to push forward with it, they will make it like this, now with any radical decisions.

I don't think the IOC is just going to drop any sport, in my opinion they will, for starters, reduce the number of team members in all team sports, a lot can be done by limiting athletics and swimming quotas, and there are also disciplines where small reductions can be done (like equestrian where teams had 4 members in Rio, but will have only 3 in Tokyo). And when we count all these small reductions the numbers could add up

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wikipedia has the total at 11,091. It seems no one is really sure on the numbers. I guess I could go through and add up all the quotas, but that’s a lot of work I don’t want to do.

No need to do that, I already added all the numbers up (this means I opened each individual official qualification process document available and summed all the ˝total athletes quotas available˝).

The number of quotas available for Tokyo 2020 through all sports is 11.136, out of which 6.886 has already been distributed, according to my counts.