website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

Today is firts day of world junior championship. Live results here: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-u20-championships/iaaf-world-u20-championships-bydgoszcz-2016-5680/live#timetableSession

Bibic in final in 1500 :yikes: He won gold at EYC few days ago and he came yesterday to Poland and he ran close to his pb :lol:

22 minutes ago, dareza said:

Today is firts day of world junior championship. Live results here: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-u20-championships/iaaf-world-u20-championships-bydgoszcz-2016-5680/live#timetableSession

Bibic in final in 1500 :yikes: He won gold at EYC few days ago and he came yesterday to Poland and he ran close to his pb :lol:

I wonder if it's smart for a world class shot putter/potential medalist to come down to the junior weight less than a month before the Olympics :mumble:

92868729c6.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder if it's smart for a world class shot putter/potential medalist to come down to the junior weight less than a month before the Olympics :mumble:

92868729c6.png

Lol...who would miss the opportunity to become world junior champion in front of his home crowd? :) Konrad is 19 yo, he didn't get a medal in European Championships; do you think he'll get it at Olympic Games?

6 minutes ago, zob79 said:

Lol...who would miss the opportunity to become world junior champion in front of his home crowd? :) Konrad is 19 yo, he didn't get a medal in European Championships; do you think he'll get it at Olympic Games?

Yeah when posting that I completely forgot that of course it's in Poland, so it's logical that he's here :p 

I think he has a chance at the Olympics. I don't think he is one of the main favourites, but if one of the big guys fails (which is always an option) he definitely is one of the guys that could step in and grab a surprise medal. Realistically I'd say he has like 15% medal chance if he is in top shape in Rio. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah when posting that I completely forgot that of course it's in Poland, so it's logical that he's here :p 

I think he has a chance at the Olympics. I don't think he is one of the main favourites, but if one of the big guys fails (which is always an option) he definitely is one of the guys that could step in and grab a surprise medal. Realistically I'd say he has like 15% medal chance if he is in top shape in Rio. 

You're very close to my estimation: 15%-20%; I think he doesn't yet have the mental power to battle those big guys (Kovacs, Crouser, Storl, maybe not even his countrymen Majewski and Haratyk). But in the future, if nothing bad happens, he can become one of the great performers of this event.

4 minutes ago, zob79 said:

You're very close to my estimation: 15%-20%; I think he doesn't yet have the mental power to battle those big guys (Kovacs, Crouser, Storl, maybe not even his countrymen Majewski and Haratyk). But in the future, if nothing bad happens, he can become one of the great performers of this event.

I even literally wrote "15-20%" but edited my post to only 15% :d 

Yeah, that he is talented is very clear to anyone. To win a medal in Rio he will have to improve even more, but especially for a young guy that's definitely not impossible (unless his nerves are a problem), and then have some luck with other guys not throwing as far as they can. Which will probably happen because I doubt everyone will throw PB-distances, so that's where I think he has a decent chance :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

I even literally wrote "15-20%" but edited my post to only 15% :d 

Yeah, that he is talented is very clear to anyone. To win a medal in Rio he will have to improve even more, but especially for a young guy that's definitely not impossible (unless his nerves are a problem), and then have some luck with other guys not throwing as far as they can. Which will probably happen because I doubt everyone will throw PB-distances, so that's where I think he has a decent chance :p 

Not all of them will throw PB distances, but Kovacs and Crouser were impressive lately, Storl always performs up to its best in important competitions, and Majewski & Haratyk had a solid season (they're not one-hit wonders like that Bulgarian-portuguese who won a medal in ECH). I see Konrad in the 4-6 place range at Rio