website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

By the way, 19-year old Greek Maria Tsakiri finished tied 40th after being the only one to shoot clean today. Last season she finished as 259th on the IBU Points List, out of 278 athletes, with 254 points...today she scored 109 points and so has qualified for the World Cup in competition #1 of the season! 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, 19-year old Greek Maria Tsakiri finished tied 40th after being the only one to shoot clean today. Last season she finished as 259th on the IBU Points List, out of 278 athletes, with 254 points...today she scored 109 points and so has qualified for the World Cup in competition #1 of the season! 

We'll probably see her at the WCH!

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

We'll probably see her at the WCH!

I doubt it, because if I recall correctly, you have to be 20 to compete there :p 

Qualifying for the World Cup is a lot harder though and I really hope we'll see her there! 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I doubt it, because if I recall correctly, you have to be 20 to compete there :p 

Qualifying for the World Cup is a lot harder though and I really hope we'll see her there! 

Seriously? There's an age limit?

Now THAT is a joke.

3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Seriously? There's an age limit?

Now THAT is a joke.

I'm not completely sure :d 

But I thought not long ago I read that and I remember thinking "Oh that's why certain high-profile juniors still compete at junior worlds even though they have the level for the WCH" :p 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not completely sure :d 

But I thought not long ago I read that and I remember thinking "Oh that's why certain high-profile juniors still compete at junior worlds even though they have the level for the WCH" :p 

Well if that's true Tsakiri's birthday is in March :/ So one month too young. Hopefully she can get a wildcard for the World Cup for next year, in this race she did outperform Hernandez, Szoecs and Karisik, all of whom do have WC spots.

On an unfortunate note they've cancelled the relays and postponed the men's sprint to tomorrow. No word on the women's sprint yet.

10 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Well if that's true Tsakiri's birthday is in March :/ So one month too young. Hopefully she can get a wildcard for the World Cup for next year, in this race she did outperform Hernandez, Szoecs and Karisik, all of whom do have WC spots.

On an unfortunate note they've cancelled the relays and postponed the men's sprint to tomorrow. No word on the women's sprint yet.

No, she did qualify for the World Cup and there is no minimum age limit for that (well maybe like 16 or something). The problem is the minimum age for the World Championships, not for the World Cup :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

No, she did qualify for the World Cup and there is no minimum age limit for that (well maybe like 16 or something). The problem is the minimum age for the World Championships, not for the World Cup :p 

I thought World Cup quotas were only given by Nation cup standing and subsequent wildcards?

9 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I thought World Cup quotas were only given by Nation cup standing and subsequent wildcards?

Oh yeah, it looks like you're right as well:

http://www.old.biathlonworld.com/media/files/ibu_rules_2016_en/IBU_Rules_2016_EN_cap03a.pdf

Well I'm really curious what will happen, hopefully she can get some more similar results in Ridnaun and Obertilliach :)

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh yeah, it looks like you're right as well:

http://www.old.biathlonworld.com/media/files/ibu_rules_2016_en/IBU_Rules_2016_EN_cap03a.pdf

Well I'm really curious what will happen, hopefully she can get some more similar results in Ridnaun and Obertilliach :)

I certainly hope so! But the WC isn't looking too good for next year, unless she gets a wildcard, since Greece would have to beat one other nation in the Nations Cup, and IBU Cup doesn't count towards that. UNLESS she manages to put Greece as the best IBU Cup nation not counting the 25 top ranked in the nations cup, which is what Bosnia did last year and why Karisik has a consistent WC spot. So far she's managing to do that, but it was an unusual race. Still rooting on her though :d