website statistics

Team AUS at Paris 2024 | Daily

Day 8 :AUS Review 

Another solid day with medals for Australia

Thankfully our disastrous rowing campaign came to an end and just a woman’s pair bronze to show for it.

An absolute disgrace considering how it is traditionally one of our stronger sports at the Olympics. Rowing Australia will have many questions to answer. The mens 8 gamble they did was just laughable, it destroyed our men’s 4 boat and the 8s ironically did worse than Tokyo.

All alone an absolute joke but I’m glad that I predicted we wouldn’t win a gold in rowing before the games started. But not even a silver is just more laughable! 

The men’s doubles tennis gold is my favourite result of the games so far as I wasn’t expecting a gold on clay. First tennis gold since Atlanta. So happy for ebden/peers.

As for the sailing, it was unfortunate that morris could only get the silver as he was the leader overall in the qualifying but that is still a solid result. 
Wearn meanwhile has extended his lead on the top and is looking good to defend his gold.

Water Polo has been impressive at these games so for as the men’s defeated Hungary 9-8.

Woman’s 3x3 basketball crash out and they can only blame themselves for losing to France in what was a very winnable game.

We are guaranteed a boxing medal as Charlie Senior won his quarter final. 

Swimming largely went as I expected, another gold for Kaylee was always gonna be unlikely but bronze is fine. Mixed medley bronze is ok. Titmus pushed Ledecky all the way in the 800.

Woman’s medley relay will be our last chance for another swimming gold, but that is also unlikely. 

Surfing has been postponed once again.

Overall an ok day and I’m so happy about that tennis result. 

Total medal count

Gold 12  Silver 8  Bronze 7 

Day 9 Preview 

First major Australian interest in the day comes with Caitlin Parker in the woman’s 75kg boxing quarterfinal. If she wins she will also along with Charlie senior be guaranteed a medal.

Another big day for sailing, hoping Matt wearn can extend his lead in race 7 and 8, and Breiana Whitehead gets underway in the first 4 races of the woman’s kite.

Next round of the Kayak begins, with both foxes, Carter and Anderson contending.

Mariafe/Clancy in the beach volleyball round of 16

A massive quarter final game for the men’s hockey against Netherlands. They need to perform much better than they have so far 

As for the final night of swimming let’s hope Jack can at least get a medal in the 50, maybe men’s medley could contend for a bronze, and woman’s medley is our last chance for another swimming gold, although it’s very unlikely due to the breaststroke situation.

As for athletics tonight, olyslagers and Patterson will be in the mix but it’s hard to look past the Ukrainian for the gold. At the very least let’s hope for a silver and bronze.

Woman's basketball with a must win game against France 

Not expecting a gold today but anything could happen

Day 9 Review 

No gold today, but plenty of medals in a mixed day of results.

Boxing was the first positive of the day as Caitlin Parker won her quarter final and now joins Charlie senior in being guaranteed a medal.

Not the best day for Matt Wearn with two 10th place finishes but he’s still 14 points clear on top with just 2 races and the medal race to come. Hopefully he can wrap up the gold before the medal race like he did in Tokyo.

In the woman’s kite it’s an ok start for whitehead as she is 8th overall after 4 races.

The crazy good results in water polo continue with the woman defeating Hungary in the shoot out which means they top the group. As far as team sports go water polo has been the best for us these games which I wasn’t expecting.

A little disappointed with the Kayak cross as Jess Fox crashed out, however I’m gonna fully back noemie to medal. Carter and Anderson both through on the men’s side.

Mariafe/Clancy through to the quarter finals 👍👍

Hockey the ugly duckling of the day as the men crash out against the Dutch. Time for a complete revamp of the squad now as they threw away their chance to win in Tokyo and they have been horrible at these games. Lots of old names that have to move on. Hugely disappointing and it shows how winning in the pro league means jack shit as the Olympics are a different ball game.

Swimming was frustrating for many reasons.

Hugely impressed by Meg Harris with silver. Have no idea what happened to Shayna Jack.

Men’s medley really never had a chance for a medal until we get a backstroker, and woman’s medley silver was expected. 

Really happy with silver and bronze for Olyslagers and Patterson.

Total medal count after day 8

Gold 12  Silver 11  Bronze 8

Swimming may be done but it’s not all depressing as I’m still optimistic about our chances that remain. I’ve probably got us at around 10 solid chances left for gold, some are more likely than others. 

listing them from most likely to least likely

1. Men’s Dinghy- Matt Wearn

2. Woman’s Park- arisa trew

3. Men’s Park- Keegan Palmer 

4. Woman’s Pole Vault- Nina Kennedy  

5 Canoe Sprint- Men’s K2-500

6. Surfing- Jack Robinson 

7. Cycling Track- Woman’s Madison 

8. woman’s javelin throw- Little 

9. Cycling Track- Men’s team sprint 

10. Diving 10m platform- Rousseau 

these 10 are all genuine chances for gold. 

other smaller chances include woman’s hockey, cikamatana in weightlifting, Denny in discus, Richardson in keirin and sprint (he will be massive underdog to Lavreysen but has beaten him before)

Gubecka in marathon swimming. N.Fox in cross you can’t rule out
Men’s K4-500 could be surprise to many as they were very close to the Germans in Szeged.

Much to be optimistic about heading into the final week 💪

Day 10 Preview

Australia vs China Quarter final hockey the main interest early on 

Denny and Kennedy in athletics qualification, with Marchshall in pole vault final later and a small bronze chance 

Track cycling begins and men’s team sprint and team pursuit qualifying the main events to keep and eye on 

Kayak Cross medals today and 3 aussies in the mix

Surfing semi finals and final happening today and I so hope Jack Robinson gets past Medina 

💪

Day 10 Review

Not a bad day

Woman’s hockey waa very disappointing as they crashed out against China in the quarter final.

No medal for Kurtis in the pole vault, but Kennedy and Denny easily qualified into their respective finals

Track cycling was interesting as the men’s team sprint qualifying wasn’t perfect but men’s team pursuit interestingly topping the qualifying. 

Kayak Cross was incredible as Noemie Fox delivered Australia’s 13th gold.

As for the surfing Robinson gets through the semi but unfortunately can only settle for the silver. 

Total Medal Count 

Gold 13  Silver 12  Bronze 8

Day 11 Preview 

Big day ahead

First interest comes in the Canoe sprint, particularly the men’s k2-500m heats where we are a genuine chance.

Quiet day of athletics heats but Jess Hull in the 1500m heats the main thing to watch.

Basketball quarter finals today as the men’s are against serbia

Mariafe/Clancy in the quarter finals of the beach volleyball 

Woman’s park skateboarding, Arisa trew is a massive chance as she won both qualifying legs and is ranked 2nd in the world.

Water polo woman’s quarter final against Greece

Sailing medal race for Dinghy should happen today so hopefully wearn gets the job done.