website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens WR Final World Olympic Qualification Tournament 2024 Road to Paris 2024

I mean 7s has *always* been a different beast.

Fiji have been world beaters since I was a kid. Serevi is Mr 7s. But Fiji in 15s are only now starting to be regularly competitive in the 15s game. So being good at one doesn't automatically make you equally good in another, no matter your resources.

Spain are a cracking example of a team which wouldn't get anywhere near any of the home nations in XVs. But they can be competitive in 7s.

And the idea of "nabbing" League players assumes that they 1) could make the change. Not all of them can or 2) would want to.

I'm happy for this to be seen as a wakeup call if the governing bodies want it to be. But this team tried its best. Its best - coupled with the way qualification fell - wasn't good enough.

Getting complacent for me is assuming that we're automatically good enough, or that it should be a doddle. International sport just isn't like that.

1 hour ago, Olympicsnell said:

I think he means that our squad should be better than it is given how strong the british nations are at rugby, we had some good playmakers in the 7s team sure but not one bit of pace in the entire squad, qualifying for the olympics in rugby as gb should be a given i feel

I mean, that's just not true. We have pace in that team. We just didn't have pace that was obviously quicker than RSA.

Besides which, pace in itself is nowhere near as important in 7s as it used to be because every team is better conditioned than they used to be.

Ball handling, organisation, ability to break a line and defensive skills are arguably all more important than pure pace.

22 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

This is exactly what I mean @dodge @Epic Failure. As a rugby nation we should be making sure that we challenge the likes of Australia and Fiji every tournament, not accepting our position in the sport. That's how you get complacent and that's how things like this happen. The team should be doing way better considering the foundations we had in the sport, and even if we were struggling for 15s players I dunno why we didn't try to nab a couple quick rugby league players who have some experience playing union. This should be touted as a massive embarrassment, not a disappointment.   

That’s a bit harsh to ignore NZ who has the most successful Rugby 7s team of all time (both men’s and women’s) 

6 minutes ago, Nish said:

That’s a bit harsh to ignore NZ who has the most successful Rugby 7s team of all time (both men’s and women’s) 

The post isn't even about NZ, so it's a bit of weird comment to give. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

The post isn't even about NZ, so it's a bit of weird comment to give. 

You’re literally saying you’d expect GB Seven’s team to compete with the likes of Fiji and Aussie. When clearly those 2 haven’t quite been dominant off recent history. Fiji men’s side might remain 2nd greatest Sevens nation of all time.  

Just now, Nish said:

You’re literally saying you’d expect GB Seven’s team to compete with the likes of Fiji and Aussie. When clearly those 2 haven’t quite been dominant off recent history. Fiji men’s side might remain 2nd greatest Sevens nation of all time.  

I said the likes of, meaning it's not just exclusive to Australia and Fiji. Like I said , the post isn't about NZ (or Australia and Fiji for that matter) it's about the development of GB's Men's team and the mistakes we've made which have led to our embarrassing NQ. Anyway I don't know why you've got this agenda that everyone in this forum disrespects NZ when that's clearly not the case. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

I said the likes of, meaning it's not just exclusive to Australia and Fiji. Like I said , the post isn't about NZ (or Australia and Fiji for that matter) it's about the development of GB's Men's team and the mistakes we've made which have led to our embarrassing NQ. Anyway I don't know why you've got this agenda that everyone in this forum disrespects NZ when that's clearly not the case. 

I would’ve taken Australia comment fairly if they had actually dominated or were ranked as a top side. But clearly they aren’t. Regardless you’ve proven my point. 

Anyway 30 more days till we see the men’s team play.

Just now, Nish said:

I would’ve taken Australia comment fairly if they had actually dominated or were ranked as a top side. But clearly they aren’t. Regardless you’ve proven my point. 

Anyway 30 more days till we see the men’s team play.

How I have proven your point? If anything you've mostly proven mine. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well this is interesting :popcorn::drama:

I don't even know why he's commented. The post wasn't even about NZ, and I just used Australia and Fiji as examples to prove my point. Seems to think everyone on here has it in for NZ when we don't.