website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2024

Totallympics

If there’s not enough drama, I mightily curious of how Olympic champion Thiam will do. This is her only chance to qualify. I can’t remember that I’ve seen any results of things she has done, but I might well have missed that.

20 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Again, if they are *just* doing it to favour the big country, why have Habz and Bedard not been allowed in then?

If they don’t why not put in the Swedish and Austrian ladies where the belongs? In ECH. 

1 minute ago, Noorderling29 said:

If there’s not enough drama, I mightily curious of how Olympic champion Thiam will do. This is her only chance to qualify. I can’t remember that I’ve seen any results of things she has done, but I might well have missed that.

She hasn't competed at all this year. Nothing since last July.

It'll be interesting to see how she approaches Rome, assuming she's fit enough to get through the 7 events. She probably doesn't need to push too hard - her WR in the pentathlon from the Euros last March would count towards a ranking place if she is able to put something competitive in place here.

Just now, Belle said:

If they don’t why not put in the Swedish and Austrian ladies where the belongs? In ECH. 

That doesn't change the fact that they are clearly not just doing what they can to help the 'big country', which is what you said they were doing.

They are helping one athlete. That's it. They couldn't care about the other less famous athletes, whether they are French, Swedish or Austrian.

It's athlete specific bias, not country bias.

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

That doesn't change the fact that they are clearly not just doing what they can to help the 'big country', which is what you said they were doing.

They are helping one athlete. That's it. They couldn't care about the other less famous athletes, whether they are French, Swedish or Austrian.

It's athlete specific bias, not country bias.

And that athlete is from France. What a surprise. Not. 

1 minute ago, Belle said:

And that athlete is from France. What a surprise. Not. 

That's a coincidence. It'll be only be an actual conspiracy if they let Habz and Bedard in. Or the French heptathletes.

28 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

She hasn't competed at all this year. Nothing since last July.

It'll be interesting to see how she approaches Rome, assuming she's fit enough to get through the 7 events. She probably doesn't need to push too hard - her WR in the pentathlon from the Euros last March would count towards a ranking place if she is able to put something competitive in place here.

I remember her in the past doing a couple of smaller meetings, for instance hurdling and/or long jumping, before going to a championship. The fact that she has not done any, does not bode well for her. Just as the fact that she leaves it to almost the last minute to qualify. If for whatever reason she fails in Rome (bad weather, small injury, no measurement in long jump), what alternatives has she left. She must be either supremely confident or pretty desperate to make this choice.

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

If Mayer were to perform well enough here to get a place in Paris/medal, I've no problem with it.  

If Mayer performs well enough to medal in Paris, he can easily qualify at another Meeting as well and does not need this present. There is for example the category A meeting in Ratingen just one week after the European Championships. This decision by the EAA stinks.

31 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

I remember her in the past doing a couple of smaller meetings, for instance hurdling and/or long jumping, before going to a championship. The fact that she has not done any, does not bode well for her. Just as the fact that she leaves it to almost the last minute to qualify. If for whatever reason she fails in Rome (bad weather, small injury, no measurement in long jump), what alternatives has she left. She must be either supremely confident or pretty desperate to make this choice.

Possible 3rd choice - as a 2 time Olympic champion, she's not stressed too much if she does or doesn't make it. If she does, great. If she doesn't, well, she's got those other golds to console her!

34 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

If Mayer performs well enough to medal in Paris, he can easily qualify at another Meeting as well and does not need this present. There is for example the category A meeting in Ratingen just one week after the European Championships. This decision by the EAA stinks.

I mean, if we're talking about poor decisions by EAA we could be here all day. The byes in the sprint events bother me far more than one decathlete getting an unearned opportunity.