website statistics

GB Athletics

28 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

This is kind of where i stand, i am a HUGE athletics fan, but when UKA leave an athlete at home who probably wont make a final, probably struggle for a semi spot, i am none to botherd. 

UKA have their standard and that is what the athletes should aim for, not a lesser qualification standard that just gets you to the show. If this was GB of old (92...96) then sure, send as many as possible and just be happy to be there, but GB now are a global powerhouse of sport and the athletes should be pushed to achieve higher standards of qualification. Some athletes will be upset to miss out, but GB have layed out exactly what you need to do to qualify, if you give them the option of leaving you at home, then do better. 

The general public will notice when there are track events without a single British entrant even the heats and the filed events are a mess. If the team gets the medals it’s expected to those issues won’t matter through but if things do not go quite as well and the medal count is down things could get a lot of notice. A lot of pressure comes on the medal hopefuls. 

This also is linked to the wider entire games GB performance. Get above 50 - 55 medals and everything will be seen as reasonably successful but below that and questions will get asked about the funding model and if it’s sustainable.

Edited by Orangehair43

28 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

This is kind of where i stand, i am a HUGE athletics fan, but when UKA leave an athlete at home who probably wont make a final, probably struggle for a semi spot, i am none to botherd. 

UKA have their standard and that is what the athletes should aim for, not a lesser qualification standard that just gets you to the show. If this was GB of old (92...96) then sure, send as many as possible and just be happy to be there, but GB now are a global powerhouse of sport and the athletes should be pushed to achieve higher standards of qualification. Some athletes will be upset to miss out, but GB have layed out exactly what you need to do to qualify, if you give them the option of leaving you at home, then do better. 

Agreed, especially when the trials are so close to the games, that barring injuries + weather, if you are not there now, you probably won't be there in Paris. 

In the end, there are enough events going on at the olympics for viewers not to be that disappointed with the lack of a GB athlete, and given that the primetime TV slots are in the evening, which coincides with Semi's and Finals, the viewers would barely see a difference between an athlete who missed out in the heats vs wasn't there at all.

11 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The general public will notice when there are track events without a single British entrant even the heats and the filed events are a mess. If the team gets the medals it’s expected to those issues won’t matter through but if things do not go quite as well and the medal count is down things could get a lot of notice. A lot of pressure comes on the medal hopefuls. 

This also is linked to the wider entire games GB performance. Get above 50 - 55 medals and everything will be seen as reasonably successful but below that and questions will get asked about the funding model and if it’s sustainable.

i dont think there will be riots because we (potentially) don't have someone in the mens 400mh and men's steeplechase, i honestly don't think anyone will care at all. Otherwise britain will be represented in every other track event, guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, TeamGB said:

He got the time under protest which feels even worse. You never know, they might select him knowing he can run the time (kind of), but I'm not confident.

i'm not confident of that either, he was flying, but probably running off pure anger, who knows maybe UKA will do the right thing but he does only have himself to blame sadly, resident misery guts will have a field day with this story if they don't take him 

5 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

i'm not confident of that either, he was flying, but probably running off pure anger, who knows maybe UKA will do the right thing but he does only have himself to blame sadly, resident misery guts will have a field day with this story if they don't take him 

He might be one of those pencilled in for a possible group interview. 

On 6/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, Epic Failure said:

In related news, Phoebe has been selected for the Euro U18 Champs. I'm guessing (with absolutely *zero* special knowledge) that she will withdraw from that if she were to make Paris, as it is the week before the Olympics.

Really don’t see the argument over not taking Chalmers. He ran the time without gaining any advantage.

Dina with a really impressive performance! 22.18 into a headwind in the cold conditions.