website statistics

Taekwondo WT Grand Slam Champions Series 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Both Brits bow out in the semi-finals but have done enough to qualify for the Champion Series Final. 

Great result for GBR. Good result for Powell in particular having gone up a weight to try and grab this spot. Williams matches do look messy, but to use a swimming aphorism, 'gotta lane, gotta chance', and she seems to be building back her form - more to the point, having both go through in the top 4 increases the chances significantly - Powell the more likely

I have a couple of questions regarding Olympic quota here, sorry if they are obvious!

1- Will the point system for Wuxi 2 be the same for the Wuxi Grand Slam in march?

2- World Taekwondo only promotes Grand Slam events in Wuxi? WTF?
3- So, if the rankings will be released only in January what happens when athletes classify via Grand Slam and rankings? where does the reallocation takes place?

thank you so much :D

Edited by Mateus Nagime

41 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

I have a couple of questions regarding Olympic quota here, sorry if they are obvious!

1- Will the point system for Wuxi 2 be the same for the Wuxi Grand Slam in march?

2- World Taekwondo only promotes Grand Slam events in Wuxi? WTF?
3- So, if the rankings will be released only in January what happens when athletes classify via Grand Slam and rankings? where does the reallocation takes place?

thank you so much :D

1. No, this GS has 25% more value, the previous was supposed to be held in 2022, they treat it like a 2022 event. 

2. looks like their GS sponsors are from China. so Yes

3. I assume WT will publish the list (if they ever do) in January but we can already know who is qualified. I have to repeat again, 4 years ago they never published a list of qualified athletes. they probably simply only notified the NOCs. yes, that's a very shitty organization 

btw I have a hard time to find out which 3 athletes in each weight were exempt from the qualification. WT didn't bother to publish this one as well

I just found out FIruza Sadikova (W67) and Nikita Rafalovich (+80) from Uzbek sources, and Firas Katousi (80) from Tunisian sources and I also know Mehran Barkhordari (80) from our team. 

I can assume Maicon Andrade is another one at +80kg. it was also weird to see Ivan Sapina in the qualifiers, being rank #3 he could be exempt . no idea whey he participated in the qualifiers ?! :mumble:

Edited by MHSN

45 minutes ago, MHSN said:

1. No, this GS has 25% more value, the previous was supposed to be held in 2022, they treat it like a 2022 event. 

2. looks like their GS sponsors are from China. so Yes

3. I assume WT will publish the list (if they ever do) in January but we can already know who is qualified. I have to repeat again, 4 years ago they never published a list of qualified athletes. they probably simply only notified the NOCs. yes, that's a very shitty organization 

btw I have a hard time to find out which 3 athletes in each weight were exempt from the qualification. WT didn't bother to publish this one as well

I just found out FIruza Sadikova (W67) and Nikita Rafalovich (+80) from Uzbek sources, and Firas Katousi (80) from Tunisian sources and I also know Mehran Barkhordari (80) from our team. 

I can assume Maicon Andrade is another one at +80kg. it was also weird to see Ivan Sapina in the qualifiers, being rank #3 he could be exempt . no idea whey he participated in the qualifiers ?! :mumble:

So, just to be clear, in a scenarion in which an athlete at the top5 in the rankings also gets to be number 1 in the Grand Slam Rankings.

Would he/she get a quota through the Rankings? and the second place at Grand Slam would qualify?

Or the athlete would qualify through the GS and the 6th ranked athlete would get the quota?

According to Brazilian Taekwondo Federation, Maicon will not go to Wuxi. Only 6 athletes who were already travelling to the Team World Cup competed plus one who did the trip by himself. The logics of the federation is that they went bad at the first Grand Slam they did not have a chance at the Olympic Quota so it did not make any sense to travel there. Instead they will focus on the Pan-American Qualifier

I think this was a bad thing to do, specially for Icaro and Maicon who could still win a quota in case they won.

38 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

So, just to be clear, in a scenarion in which an athlete at the top5 in the rankings also gets to be number 1 in the Grand Slam Rankings.

Would he/she get a quota through the Rankings? and the second place at Grand Slam would qualify?

Or the athlete would qualify through the GS and the 6th ranked athlete would get the quota?

This, the 6th athlete in the World Ranking will grab the quota

:CHN OQT Grand Slam Champions Series Final Qualifiers - Day 1 :CHN

(X) indicates the athlete's current Olympic Ranking List.

Women's 49Kg

1 :IOC Alisa Angelova

2 :CHN Yanying Zhang (318)

3 :CHN Xueqin Tan (242)

4 :TUR Elif Sude Akgul (131)

5 :CHN Xiaoxue Yang (19)

6 :IOC Irina Rogozina 

7 :CHN Ju Zuo (18)

8 :CHN Xiaoting Ye

Women's 67Kg

1 :KOR Hyo rim Hong (18)

2 :IOC Lilliia Khuzina

3 :GBR Aaliyah Powell

4 :GBR Lauren WIlliams (14)

5 :CIV Ruth Gbagbi (4)

6 :UZB Ozoda Sobirijonova (66)

7 :BRA Milena Titoneli (9)

8 :CHN Mengyu Zhang (7)

Men's 68Kg

1 :CHN Yushuai Liang (11)

2 :IOC Ilia Danilov

3 :CHN Lei Yan (461)

4 :IRI Martin Rezaei (15)

5 :IRI Abolfazl Yaghoubijouybari

6 :IOC Maksim Osin

7 :KOR Tae young Kim (36)

8 :CHN Chenming Xiao (38)

Men's +80Kg

1 :CHN Yaoxi Wang (89)

2 :IOC Vladislav Larin

3 :IRI Arian Salimi (23)

4 :CRO Ivan Sapina (3)

5 :BRA Pedro Arthur Alves Jesus (155)

6 :IOC Rafail Aiukaev

7 :KOR Sanghyun Kang (12)

8 :CHN Zhaoxiang Song (8)

So of the 32 qualifiers on day 1 the national breakdown is:

:CHN - 11 qualifiers 

:IOC - 7 qualifiers

:IRI :KOR - 3 qualifiers

:GBR :BRA - 2 qualifiers

:UZB :CIV :CRO :TUR - 1 qualifier

I don't pretend to understand how the entry list for the Grand Slam Final/OQT worked but there were some pretty high ranked athletes who didn't make it through:

Women's 49Kg

:CHN Qing Guo (6)

:KOR Mi-reu Kang (9)

Women's 67Kg

:ESP Cecilia Castro Burgos (10)

:UZB Feruza Sadikova (12) 

Men's 68Kg

:KOR Ho-jun Jin (5)

Men's +80Kg

:MAR Ayoub Bassel (16)

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:CHN OQT Grand Slam Champions Series Final Qualifiers - Day 1 :CHN

(X) indicates the athlete's current Olympic Ranking List.

Women's 49Kg

1 :IOC Alisa Angelova

2 :CHN Yanying Zhang (318)

3 :CHN Xueqin Tan (242)

4 :TUR Elif Sude Akgul (131)

5 :CHN Xiaoxue Yang (19)

6 :IOC Irina Rogozina 

7 :CHN Ju Zuo (18)

8 :CHN Xiaoting Ye

Women's 67Kg

1 :KOR Hyo rim Hong (18)

2 :IOC Lilliia Khuzina

3 :GBR Aaliyah Powell

4 :GBR Lauren WIlliams (14)

5 :CIV Ruth Gbagbi (4)

6 :UZB Ozoda Sobirijonova (66)

7 :BRA Milena Titoneli (9)

8 :CHN Mengyu Zhang (7)

Men's 68Kg

1 :CHN Yushuai Liang (11)

2 :IOC Ilia Danilov

3 :CHN Lei Yan (461)

4 :IRI Martin Rezaei (15)

5 :IRI Abolfazl Yaghoubijouybari

6 :IOC Maksim Osin

7 :KOR Tae young Kim (36)

8 :CHN Chenming Xiao (38)

Men's +80Kg

1 :CHN Yaoxi Wang (89)

2 :IOC Vladislav Larin

3 :IRI Arian Salimi (23)

4 :CRO Ivan Sapina (3)

5 :BRA Pedro Arthur Alves Jesus (155)

6 :IOC Rafail Aiukaev

7 :KOR Sanghyun Kang (12)

8 :CHN Zhaoxiang Song (8)

So of the 32 qualifiers on day 1 the national breakdown is:

:CHN - 11 qualifiers 

:IOC - 7 qualifiers

:IRI :KOR - 3 qualifiers

:GBR :BRA - 2 qualifiers

:UZB :CIV :CRO :TUR - 1 qualifier

I don't pretend to understand how the entry list for the Grand Slam Final/OQT worked but there were some pretty high ranked athletes who didn't make it through:

Women's 49Kg

:CHN Qing Guo (6)

:KOR Mi-reu Kang (9)

Women's 67Kg

:ESP Cecilia Castro Burgos (10)

:UZB Feruza Sadikova (12) 

Men's 68Kg

:KOR Ho-jun Jin (5)

Men's +80Kg

:MAR Ayoub Bassel (16)

I would assume they just didn't bother to go there. 

2 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

I would assume they just didn't bother to go there. 

The athletes I've flagged as missing out were in the qualifying tournament and were seeded to make the quarter finals but lost out in the early rounds. That being said, looking at the entry criteria for the GS Series Final, some of them could still be in the Final if they are a pre-registered athlete. 

so 10 out of our 20 athletes made it to the Grand Slam main round. not great but still all of our top guys qualified and that's what matters. now they just have to win 3 or 4 more matches to qualify for Paris :p

in 58 and 68 things are very simple, whoever wins the gold will qualify no matter what. no more calculation needed. but things can get complicated in 80 and +80. 

hard to predict things though, we still don't have the full list of participants (I'm talking about those 3 prequalified athletes), specially with Olympic Champions Khramtcov and Larin here competing after a while.

Mehdi H.Mousaei is absent here, no explanation from our federation but apparently he is still injured. he got robbed of his chance in the Final Grand Prix and most probably won't get a 2nd chance. (even if we fail here I don't think they send him to the Asian Q)