website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, by rather unsavory behavior in the case of one of them.

Depends what side of the debate you find yourself on their :cool:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Most people outside the USA know who James is but have zero idea other than "he plays basketball".

Right, but still know him by name. That’s not an accident or mystery. He is definitely one of the most recognizable figures of the decade.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know. I mean Serena and LeBron have really defined the decade in my opinion. Most people know who both of them are. They have both incredible success. They’ve both used their voices to fight for social change. They both came from nothing to be the greatest in their sports. 

Tennis remains a sport for the privileged. You have to invest millions early on and then maybe your kid becomes a great player and you get all that money back. It's one sport I'd never bring up when talking about social changes. You'll never see orphans or homeless kids getting a career in tennis.

LeBron is LeBron but Roger Federer has had more success in this decade and I'm not even gonna mention people like Messi or C.Ronaldo which dominated the last decade. Then again, soccer is a second rate sport in USA so obviously they stood no chance of competing vs NBA star like James.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but still know him by name. That’s not an accident or mystery. He is definitely one of the most recognizable figures of the decade.

Social media impact is more important than actual sporting result. That's why Kim Kardashian is getting paid millions for "promoting brands". LeBron is a product of the social media generation, gone are the days with only one game on live TV over the weekend. Sports has become business more than anything in 21st century.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Tennis remains a sport for the privileged. You have to invest millions early on and then maybe your kid becomes a great player and you get all that money back. It's one sport I'd never bring up when talking about social changes. You'll never see orphans or homeless kids getting a career in tennis.

LeBron is LeBron but Roger Federer has had more success in this decade and I'm not even gonna mention people like Messi or C.Ronaldo which dominated the last decade. Then again, soccer is a second rate sport in USA so obviously they stood no chance of competing vs NBA star like James.

That is literally the case in every sport in the United States currently. It’s another part of an insanely broken system. 

Serena‘s didn’t come from a lot. Her dad wasn’t poor, but he wasn’t rich either.

Yes, Messi and Ronaldo (more Ronaldo) would’ve been great candidates too (and are more deserving), but it’s worth noting that the AP is an American organization. I don’t think they’ve ever chosen non-American athletes for that honor. 

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Social media impact is more important than actual sporting result. That's why Kim Kardashian is getting paid millions for "promoting brands". LeBron is a product of the social media generation, gone are the days with only one game on live TV over the weekend. Sports has become business more than anything in 21st century.

And LeBron James has played the game well. Also, I agree with a lot of what you say here. Sports becoming business is why I do not watch professional sports myself. All teams should be non-profit, but we all know that ain’t happening.

22 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That is literally the case in every sport in the United States currently. It’s another part of an insanely broken system. 

Serena‘s didn’t come from a lot. Her dad wasn’t poor, but he wasn’t rich either.

Yes, Messi and Ronaldo (more Ronaldo) would’ve been great candidates too (and are more deserving), but it’s worth noting that the AP is an American organization. I don’t think they’ve ever chosen non-American athletes for that honor. 

Yeah, that's why I pay little attention to ESPN or AP polls. You have to be a global icon like Bolt or Federer to be even considered over some baseball player nobody in Europe has even heard of.

Tennis is the rich man's sport like no other. It's not even close. And the funny thing is, it's the richest paying sport for women aka the rich are only getting richer. Megan Rapinoe should have played tennis, she'd be a billionaire by now instead of complaining about salary in soccer :roflmao:

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Depends what side of the debate you find yourself on their :cool:

Not a fan of the dodging drug tests and fucking up the greatest moments of other people's careers because you're an incredibly sore loser and attacking referees because you're an incredibly sore loser. Even less of a fan when pulling the racism card every single freaking time something doesn't work out.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Most people know his name, not his figure - they'd have no clue what he looks like.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

35 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Social media impact is more important than actual sporting result. 

Which is why Messi and C Ronaldo would have a chance....purely because football is the most known sport in the world and they're the best players (of the past decade, that is) :p