website statistics

Wrestling 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

rumors/reports say that Alexander Komarov (World U23 Champion 2021) will wrestle for Serbia from 2024.

it didn't take long for Serbia to buy a "replacement" for Zurabi Datunashvili. :d apparently he is married to a Serbian girl so this one makes sense. I mean comparing to Arsalan, Datunashvili, Kajaia, Tibilov and Tsabolov , but who cares, he is good and will one of the contenders for the quota.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:48 AM, MHSN said:

UWW provisionally suspended multiple time World bronze medalist Mohammad Ali Geraei because of what happened in Belgrade during the World Championships.

his brother M. Reza (World and Olympic Champion) was about to lose his lead in 1/8 final match against a Japanese wrestler until someone from the crowd (later revealed to be his brother) threw a bottle of water to the mat, stopped it for few minutes, giving his already-dead-brother some minutes to recover a bit and somehow survives the match 10-10 or 11-10. Reza lost his next match heavily (he was already dead) but came back the next day to win the bronze and the Olympic quota.

that was a very shameful act and he deserves a long ban :thumbdown: I would gladly give up that quota/medal. we were always proud of our wrestlers being fair and committed to sportsmanship

Geraei is now officially banned for 1 year. of course he will appeal but if that stays, he will miss the Olympics and I believe that will be the end of his career. indeed he deserved it.