website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker

Interest in the men's side thinning out now. A one in four box off for Walsh and McDonagh is the only other still involved.

It's all over for Amy Broadhurst as well, which in truth is no harm from our point of view. If Grainne Walsh qualifies her selection will be very much vindicated now. Broadhurst has missed her olympic opportunity and probably significantly damaged her potential appeal as a pro boxer by switching nations. Who will pay to watch her box as a pro now...a question for another forum I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Interest in the men's side thinning out now. A one in four box off for Walsh and McDonagh is the only other still involved.

It's all over for Amy Broadhurst as well, which in truth is no harm from our point of view. If Grainne Walsh qualifies her selection will be very much vindicated now. Broadhurst has missed her olympic opportunity and probably significantly damaged her potential appeal as a pro boxer by switching nations. Who will pay to watch her box as a pro now...a question for another forum I suppose.

To be fair, Ireland only brought 4 men, already having three Qs, and 2 of those 4 are still in the game

As for Amy, wish her well with my GBR hat on, but she's no longer Ireland's problem

2 minutes ago, dodge said:

Well she’ll still Irish, but if she goes pro she’ll have no appeal. She had 2 chances to qualify for the Olympics and failed. That’s more than most get 

"she'll still Irish".

So's Graham Norton. He's not our problem either.

i'm odd on this stuff; on the one hand I despise racism in Irish sport, have done since I hero-worshipped Paul McGrath. I don't care where the hell you come from if you pull on that jersey legitimately, you're one of ours, whether by birth, birthright, heritage or later choice. Whether you're Rhasidate Adeleke, Ciara Mageaan, Ben Healy/Dan Martin (cycling) or Bundie Aki, you're ours and we'll circle the damn wagons around ye if needed.

But if you're Ben Healy (rugby), Kyran Bracken, Bethany Firth or Amy Broadhurst, I wish you well (well, not Kyran Bracken, the gobshite - can you see the scars of past thumpings>!) but you're not our problem...

Even if, weirdly, I actually would cheer for you with my GBR hat on (which for Firth I do, and for Broadhurst I might have done)!

And then to cap off the oddness, the only golf I care about is the Ryder Cup, and I couldn't care less about the B&I Lions.

I desperately wanted Amy to lose and I definitely don’t cheer on Irish born folk who represent other nations (or those who represented Ireland and switch). I suspect most are the same.

Just pointing out that she’ll likely end her “amateur” career now and go pro, where nationality doesn’t really come in to it. She can still be Irish but she’ll be representing team Amy and that’s a harder sell than before (and without an Olympic boost to her profile).

I’m with you on the broader point. Paul McGrath is a national treasure. Rhasidat Adeleke is on the way to becoming one. I love that our badminton team is an immigrant from Vietnam and a Protestant from Donegal. All are welcome in Irish sport

Hard to know what next move dor Amy Broadhurst is, obviously she can't come back to Ireland, she's ruffled a few feathers in GB Boxing, but does she stay with them now and plan her ultimate revenge for 2028? Pro is obviously an option, but how much money is there really in the women's game apart from for Katie Taylor and a select few others, especially now going into it without an Olympic medal or even appearance, not as attractive for promoters. I wasn't a fan of her switching to GB but on a human level you'd have to feel for her a bit too, obviously the Olympics was her childhood dream so she was prepared to explore all possible avenues to try make it happen and its ended up a bit of a mess for her really.

I really hope Gráinne Walsh gets through, she seems a really nice person and looking at her results as a youth, she lost a lot at national level but has persevered with hard work to get to where she is now.

Broadhurst gambled the house and lost. As much as any pro career would be Team Amy, like any Irish boxer her marketability would largely need to be based on her Irishness and an ability to sell tickets off the back of that. That's gone now with her defection, and it doesn't seem as though there's any love for her in the GB setup either.

Her best/only hope might be to stay amateur, come home with her tail between her legs and try to build some kind of redemption narrative in Ireland. But the more likely outcome of all of this is that she's finished.

Good morning for the boxers. Lehane had a great win over the Ukrainian and fights an awkward looking Hungarian for the quota next 

Martin McDonagh looked great with a commanding win at super heavy. He fights a former world medalist from Armenia for the spot. That will be some contest

Good wins this morning for Jenny Lehane against 🇺🇦 at W54kg and Martin McDonagh at +92kg against 🇧🇬 to advance to quarter final quota bouts.

Lehane faces 🇭🇺 next for a place in Paris while McDonagh faces a former World silver medallist from 🇦🇲 

2 minutes ago, dodge said:

Good morning for the boxers. Lehane had a great win over the Ukrainian and fights an awkward looking Hungarian for the quota next 

Martin McDonagh looked great with a commanding win at super heavy. He fights a former world medalist from Armenia for the spot. That will be some contest

Looks like we were typing at the same time 😂