website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I know people will be upset about this, but our public health situation isn’t suitable to celebrating a holiday like this. I’ll just have to buy a big bag of candy for myself this year (at least now I can justify that purchase :p).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Thankfully, My family and I have been largely unaffected, but the devastation to my beautiful states (and our equally beautiful neighbors) is unimaginable. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

@hckosice What’s the tradition with those stones? I can see her placing one on the memorial, and it’s obvious others were placed there.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Is the India National Thread the first thread on Totallympics to be more than 1,000 pages?

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Utterly ridiculous. 'Ben Hur', 'Braveheart' or 'Titanic' would never win an Academy Award based on these criteria :lol:

To be honest, those don’t seem like ridiculous criteria.

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
4 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Why doing so?

I think there’s a couple reasons.

Disney’s ridiculous business model. You have to pay for a streaming service, and then pay an additional large fee to see the movie.

The lead actress came out in support of the Hong Kong police a few months ago.

People also just hate Disney in general for versions social, political, and economic reasons.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Is it just me, or does China always have bad websites for multi-sports games? The web design is just horrible for Sanya 2020 (2021) and Beijing 2022.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

You're barely 21-22 yo? If you think life is tough at this age then sorry for the bad news, but life gets tougher once you get older. I wish I was in my early 20s again, those were some fun times :evil:

How do think telling this to someone is helpful? I get your cynic, and that you don’t like me, but how is this comment constructive or helpful? Do you think it’s possible that there might be events in my life that I find incredibly depressing, tragic, and challenging at the moment? If someone says “Gee, my mental health isn’t great right now,” that the best response is “If you think your life is bad now; you should just wait a couple of years.” I really hope you understand what a useless, idiotic, and harmful statement that is. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If you really are ethical and have a good standard of integrity in whatever you write and such, people will notice and you won't need to put any emphasis on it. Just trust on that.

I know that. I’m just flustered right now.

There’s just so much going on in my country and personal life at the moment, and it’s wearing me down. I know I don’t need to defend my reporting, but I’m just tired and mentally drained. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just my personal opinion: the most 'neutral' and fact-based journalists usually don't put so much emphasis on their 'ethics and integrity' standards, simply because it's obvious from their work and they don't need to press it :p 

Not meant as some sort of negative criticism or something, to be clear, just something I've noticed over the years.

Again, fair.

I shouldn’t feel the need to justify myself as a reporter. I took an hour to write that post because I kept correcting it, and I’m still unhappy I posted it. I would obviously hope my writing speaks for itself, but I felt the need to say that.

I don’t care if people want to debate my political views, argue my opinions on international sport, etc. I do care when people question my ability or ethics as a reporter. I don’t think that was your intention, but I choose to respond anyway. You’ve read my reporting you can be the judge I guess. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Absolutely, much as I am sometimes surprised you don't work for the exact opposites on the other far end of the spectrum :p 

Yeah, fair enough. 

I have very little respect for MSNBC, CNN, Palmer Report, Daily Kos, etc. 

My job as a journalist is keep people informed. I do that through facts and research. I don’t attempt to disagree with, or spin the facts. I maintain a very high standard of ethics and integrity for any project I’m a part of.

It’s not my opinion that those organizations share those same values. 

Their politics may align with mine in some areas, but their job is to inform people. Telling people what they want to hear isn’t journalism.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Because everything and everyone in the USA exaggerates literally everything about literally everyone. I wish we had a prime minister who had a light moment with some honeybees (which are in rather serious trouble anyway, and barely anything is being done to help them).

+1 for the Slovak lady.

I wish I could give this like a hundred of this little green upvotes.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Her efforts make no difference in the global scale tbh. Then again, USA wants to dump GMO crap on Europe and Japanese are making hamburgers from cow shit so what's the point. In 50 years time kids will have no idea how real milk or butter tastes like :lol:  Plastic food is our future!

I’m honestly surprised you don’t work for FOX, Breitbart, or InfoWars sometimes.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
8 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

The bees do 99% of the work, to be fair.

And humans have done 99% percent more of the work to make then a threatened/endangered species ;)

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Slovakia must be a very rich country if their President has the luxury of producing bee honey while in office :coffee:

Clearly someone isn’t familiar with “Honeyland.” That women eemed like she was just rolling in the dough.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

This happened back in March I guess, but it’s finally getting publicized today. I can’t even! How, the fuck, are we allowing police officers to get away with this kind of conduct.

Posted

Great, she’s making it worse. Her response should be “I made a big fricken mistake. It was hypocritical of me. I apologize.” Instead, it’s just a bunch of excuses. 

Becuase what we need right now is the main opposition party shooting itself in the foot months before the election :facepalm:

Posted
5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Trump is a businessman, first and foremost. He treats politics like business. USA has bankrolled Israel for the last 60 years, I suppose Trump wants the Jewish lobby in USA to give him some of that money back. Muslim countries are traditionally against USA, you've lost Iran, Turkey and Saudi Arabia isn't as US-friendly anymore either? No wonder Trump has picked the Jewish businesses over the Muslim.

I'm shocked that after all those years you guys still judge Trump by political measures. He's not a politician and never will be - even though he was voted into a political office.

Trump is failed businessmen who only looks after his own interest. He runs this country, like he ran his businesses, for his own profit. Any policy he makes is to advance his name or gain profit, not to improve or strengthen the country in any way.

Trump loves white collar criminals and strongmen. Just look at how many he’s hung out with. Of course he loves Netanyahu! Not only is Netanyahu a criminal, but he’s also a strongman. Plus, Netanyahu acts like he’s protecting Western interests against Muslims, when all he’s doing is stoking further conflict with them for personal gain, or to satisfy a personal vendetta. 

Trump has never been a leader, politician, or businessmen. He’s failed miserably at all three.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Really dude, I came for the wholesome pictures, not a practical joke :p

D15AF9C6-ABBC-49E2-8C9F-D07059BE4BCD.jpeg

Spoiler

Clever kid. I wonder how many people he’s gotten today :d

Posted
9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You can't be a Nazi and pro-Jewish at the same time :p Trump is the most Jewish-friendly US President in history and setting up the embassy in Jerusalem proves that after all :evil:

No, setting up an embassy in Jerusalem only proves that you are loyal to a certain unpopular Israeli Prime Minister. Plus, he definitely only did it as a vanity project so that his name would be praised.

Well he’s both a fascist and a white supremacist, so make of that what you will.