website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I really needed that 4.6 earthquake in my at 23:30 tonight, thanks Earth. Now I get to spend the rest of my night trying to fall asleep while hoping that wasn’t a foreshock ?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

I fear we’re about to see a very, very partisan fight over who the next Supreme Court justice will be.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg has passed away this evening :cry:

This has huge consequences for American politics. Trump will most likely be able to nominate his third judge to the Supreme Court. He actually released a list of potential picks not that long ago, and they were mostly far-right. In that scenario, conservatives will have a 6-3 majority in the Supreme Court. 

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted
11 hours ago, dcro said:

Nobody seems to talk about the current hurricane season. It appears as though a storm will be named with the letter W- for the first time in history!

They have even added an auxillary list for beyond that.

Yep, I believe we had a W once before though.

We’ve completed the designated English names for the year, so now we’re on to the Greek alphabet.

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is there any list of things that qualify for that? Because the three examples sound....not very interesting (to me, surely to some people it does) :p 

I listed the classes I was considering taking for that requirement :d

Yes, there’s a list, but I can’t find it at the minute. I’m not in “semester planning” mode right now, so I have all my paperwork scattered around :d

Posted

Whelp, I guess we’re following the lead of great democracies like the USSR, PR China, and Cuba by teaching propaganda in the classrooms now. 

I feel it’s worth noting that California recently made it mandatory for all students to take an “Ethnic Studies/History” class before graduating high school. Colleges in the state also require a “diversity credit”, which means that you have to take a class that focuses on the study of a minority groups influence on a subject (Women in Rock’n Roll for instance, or Intercultural Communication, History of Hip Hop, etc.).

Posted

This used to be grounds for expulsion from the Commonwealth, but I believe current rules allow for republics.

Plus, everyone knows there’s only one queen of Barbados, Rihanna.

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread
Posted
Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Latin American Spanish in general can be frustrating because of all the colloquial/slang words. Some words have different meanings in different countries, and can even be offensive in some cases. Some items just have two names for no real reason. It can be confusing for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish as a first language. 

I guess a lot of this is true about English too, but I feel like it’s worse in Spanish. Maybe that’s just because it’s my second language though.

Posted
1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

That's why I feel about Chilean and Brazilian Portuguese

Latin American Spanish in general can be frustrating because of all the colloquial/slang words. Some words have different meanings in different countries, and can even be offensive in some cases. Some items just have two names for no real reason. It can be confusing for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish as a first language. 

[OFF TOPIC] Science & Technology Thread
Posted

The Milky Way Galaxy was first measured at the Mt. Wilson Observatory. Our position in the Milky Way Galaxy was also calculated using data from observations at Mt. Wilson. Edwin Hubble discovered other galaxies besides our own at Mt. Wilson. Data collected at Mt. Wilson also helped lead to the formation of the Big Bang Theory.

Mt. Wilson Observatory is now endanger of burning down in one of the massive California wildfires. 

Posted

Alright, well that pretty much ruins my suggestion about how to lessen Slovakia/Slovenia confusion.

Posted
1 hour ago, Bohemia said:

This thread having 666 pages seems appropriate :lol:

I was just thinking that this morning :d

Posted
5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

If you're fixing the grammar, also take away the capital P in president :p 

When referring to the “President of the United States,” even if you’re just using “President,” grammar rules say it has to be capitalized. Even if I don’t endorse him as President, I do endorse good grammar (even if I often don’t display it on here). :p

Posted

Comedy writers couldn’t make this shit up. “...your Favorite President, me...” This is clinical level narcissism.

Also, if you have to actually say “your favorite President, me” (I even fixed the grammar for him), then you probably aren’t people’s favorite President. Just saying.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yes, because I too go to “thegatewaypundit.com” for all the most accurate news. 

Their motto :roflmao:

I think I actually lost a couple brain cells visiting that website. I’m a little insulted that people consider that journalism. It’s entertainment at best, conspiracy reporting at worst.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
32 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Oh man, Netflix are getting a lot of backlash now online. They released a show of little girls twerking and finding their sexuality it seems. Probably won't lead to any big subscriber loss, but it's a rare mistake for their image. They have been releasing major garbage these last 2-3 years, but this seems next level misfire. 

I know a little about this controversy because it started in the US last week. From what I’ve read, “Cuties” is a French film that explores a young girl (tween, early teen) finding herself and connecting to a different culture through hip hop. According to the Director, the film is an attack on the hyper-sexualization of young girls. It did very well at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival from what I understand.  

Netflix has marketed it poorly (understatement), and has been excused of trying to sexualize the young girls.

This article does a really good job of summarizing and explaining the controversy around the film: https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/netflix-cuties-controversy-explained

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
13 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Well it is a lot of money for a movie, I admit it. But... First of all you get the movie the same day it's in cinema. Second you can watch it as many times as you want and with as many people as you want. It is like you get tickets (not one) to the cinema plus Blu-ray/DVD in one price. It's not a good deal for single person, especially if he or she won't like the movie but for families or group of friends? It's even better (unless they really enjoy cinemas but in this case they can just go there, right?).

Right, but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, and HBO have all released movies directly to their platforms for free*

*besides the streaming platform monthly/yearly fee

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
11 minutes ago, Agger said:

At least here in Denmark that has been the way with movies that didn't go to the cinema due to covid

$30 + streaming platform fee seems a little excessive to me. Plus, if Netflix, Hulu, Amazon release a film it’s generally free (besides the streaming platform fees, which aren’t bad).