website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

But the Trumps made their money out of providing things people pay for of their own free will.  The political class get rich by selling goods & services that properly belong to the Republic.

Which is actually what the Trumps are doing right now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Perhaps you’d care to tell us how a whoremongering crackhead who’s never done a proper job In his puff ended up a multimillionaire then?  Because I find it very curious how so many Americans have come to think it natural that families whose only career is the poorly-paid job politics - the Obamas, Clintons, Pelosis, Feinsteins, Ryans, McCains & Bushes of this world - seem to end their careers with literally hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank.

Oh, they guilty as fuck for sure, but the Trumps are absolutely just as guilty, if not more.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
18 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Senate reports on Joe Biden’s son Hunter’s many dodgy dealings with the corrupt Oligarchs, government-controlled businesses and organised crime in many nations hostile to the USA.

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/media/majority-media/johnson-grassley-release-report-on-conflicts-of-interest-investigation

I am glad to know they are investigating the dealings of candidates’s children. I hope to see their report on Trump’s children soon. Oh wait...

(I am not defending Hunter Biden in any way, but I am calling this what it is “a partisan sham.”)

Posted

What a load of bullshit! I try really hard to believe in justice, due process, our legal system, our policing system; but damn is it hard nowadays.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Of course they are. The 2,000+ world billionaires own more than the rest 4,6 BILLION people combined! Forbes ranks Trump as 700th something so he's in this club and doing very well.

World Economic Forum says so and you're gonna question them? :p

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/worlds-billionaires-have-more-wealth-46-billion-people

As for Trump running USA as his own company I told you the federal system makes it very possible and he takes advantage of it. He's not tied to any party groups or lobbyists so he can put his ego in front of everything else like he's done his entire life. Bankrupt 7 times? Who cares? You voted him for President and Hilary Clinton wasted 20+ years of holding onto Bill's coat-tails for this clown to smoke her in the elections :lol:

Right, and that is a big fucking problem. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Trump is a member of the lucky sperm club. A guy who has never heard "no" as an answer. He acts exactly like someone from high-upper class. These people think they're entitled to own the world and they are correct. People like you still judge Trump as a politican, he is not. He's a businessman who always does things his own way. That's how business and successful business works. He runs USA like a major corporation he owns. It sure helps USA is a federation, most of the stuff Trump doesn't even care about is handled by state politics and he can focus on the "bigger" things. The US President office is set up ideally for someone with a huge ego like Trump and he takes full advantage of this setting alright.

No, they are not.

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

That's how business and successful business works. He runs USA like a major corporation he owns. It sure helps USA is a federation, most of the stuff Trump doesn't even care about is handled by state politics and he can focus on the "bigger" things. The US President office is set up ideally for someone with a huge ego like Trump and he takes full advantage of this setting alright.

Trump’s never ran a successful business. Dude must have the Guinness World Record for bankruptcies. He runs the U.S. government like a mafia boss; for his own benefit and profit.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

You simply are not going to be able to sustain an advanced industrial civilization with solar power.  The sums just don’t add up.

Neither will coal, it’s not a renewable resource. 

California’s plan isn’t just to rely on solar power though. We will use solar power, wind power, and hydro power to fuel our great civilization.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Congratulations, you have just learnt rule Number One of politics.  You don’t get something for nothing.

Well accept, as the conservationist explained, we could. At the very least, we could do more to both protect the environment, and grow our renewable energy industry. It just requires more planning and critical thinking.

If one sides says: raze all the Joshua Trees

And the other says: don’t touch a single Joshua Tree

I feel like there’s a much better third option than the two presented in that case. That’s why I’m more inclined to agree with the conservationist, who has an idea worth considering (i.e we can protect the trees, and build better solar infrastructure (which might actually improve our city come to think of it)). 

Posted

Interesting video on a very local issue for me.

A lot of the footage used in this video is from right outside my town (the outskirt communities). We embraced solar technology in the late 2000s, and that shit took off out here. It quickly became a major sector business, and got our communities a lot of state and national interest. There are now miles and miles of solar farms across our deserts, and much more planned. My town is one of the sunniest places on the entire planet, so it’s an ideal place to build solar farms. We also have consistently strong winds, which makes us an ideal candidate for wind turbines like you see in the video. 

However, these companies are razing our desert to make this happen. Like the conservationist says, our desert is an amazing place filled with biodiversity (even if it isn’t as beautiful as a mountain peak, or rainforest, or ocean). We’ve seen animal habitat decreased greatly. We have many threatened and endangered species that call the Mojave Desert home. 

These companies caused horrible and dangerous dust storms when they removed all the plants from their plots of land about a decade ago. It made it dangerous to go outside for days at a time. They have also chosen to build their solar farms on lands where our beloved California poppies grow, thus reduced their habitat and making our desert ugly. 

There’s now fierce battles going on between people town. Our communities are very divided by this. We love the jobs and investment it brings, but it destroys a lot of what’s special about living here.

I just thought I’d share this, since it’s personal to me. I’d be more inclined to agree with the conservationist, especially when he says we should build solar farms on roofs and over roadways as alternatives.

Also, a fun fact about Joshua Trees, they only grow in the Mojave Desert and in Israel (at least that’s what I was told growing up).

Posted
1 minute ago, Dolby said:

Progressives wanted even older Sanders. Also, if you want to run as anti-establishment candidate, be prepared to defeat the establishment. Once you defeat the establishment, you own the party. Like Trump did with Republicans. 

More than fair points.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dolby said:

This is what I find hillarious. Democrats and leftist media for the past 5 years kept on telling us that Donald Trump is not fit to be president because he is senile and makes a lot of gaffes. So, naturally they choose Joe Biden, who is older than Trump and repeatedly makes mistakes even while reading speeches. 

They = The moderates and elites in the party who fixed the primary.

Posted
1 minute ago, dcro said:

I do not agree. Like I said, they make videos on subjects like film making and wine tasting, seemingly just to push their agenda on as many feeds as possible.

Combining slanted politics and non-politics content on a single channel is honestly alarming...

I don’t agree that’s what they’re doing though. I don’t watch one of their videos on the history of photography or science of race walking and go “I should vote against Trump based off the evidence in this video.” 

Posted
41 minutes ago, dcro said:

Another thing I hate about Vox is how they actually have some decent reporters, dealing with largely apolitical subjects.

I will say that Vox’s editorial standards (in terms of factual reporting, not bias) are higher than other biased media in my opinion. In both their news articles and opinion pieces, they generally include links to the academic research or primary sources they based their opinion/reporting off. That makes it easier to fact check their reporting, and check those studies/sources against others.

Posted
2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Another thing I hate about Vox is how they actually have some decent reporters, dealing with largely apolitical subjects.

But when you actually watch these videos, you immediately start getting this anti-Trump propaganda all over your Youtube feed. Ugh.

Yep, you can thank advertising/media interest algorithms for that.

Posted
1 minute ago, dcro said:

What's really problematic about Vox's video is their author claiming: "None of this has to do with Trump's political positions." And yet they have an entire assembly line for such videos. I'd like to see an example of someone bashing Biden and claiming it has nothing to do with his political positions. There is a difference between hidden subjective reporting (when you claim to be objective even though you clearly are not) and honest subjective reporting (when you do not claim to be objective).

However, just to be clear here, I am not a follower of any partisan media outlets.

It’s actually not wrong to be. It’s just important to check the information you read against other more credible/less biased sources. That’s the main idea of media literacy. I would agree that Vox is biased on their reporting here; I’m just saying that “right-wing media” is no less guilty of that bias.

Posted

@dcro I’d be nice to see rightist media cover Trump’s mental health the way they cover Biden’s. (I would never use the term “rightist”, but I want show how easy it is to make these politically biased statements against only one side of the issue.) Dagger goes both ways, and it’s the people who ultimately suffer in the end. 

Americans have a very low media literacy level unfortunately.

Posted

The GOP appears to have enough votes in the Senate to appoint Trump’s nominee. If they go ahead with this before the election, Democrats have vowed to increase the number of justices on the Supreme Court. This would most likely be the start of a major Constitutional Crisis, and obviously that would not be good. 

There’s a lot a stake with a conservative majority on the Supreme Court. Outside of the ACA (Obamacare), the U.S. government has failed to pass any substantive social legislation since the 1980/1990s. That means that the legality of things such as abortion, gay marriage, gender discrimination, sexuality discrimination, religious discrimination, racial discrimination, etc. all rely on decisions in Supreme Court cases. Of course those precedents can always be overturned by a new ruling, which is why this is such a big deal. 

Posted

She also doesn’t seem to know the difference between Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan, since she’s clearly meaning to reference him. Also, how can one be “more conservative than Attila the Hun”?  

Posted
21 minutes ago, NearPup said:

No he can absolutely nominate someone and get them confirmed even after the election.

The only real leverage Democrats have is that the number of justices can be changed by simple legislation.

Which could begin a potential Constitutional Crisis where the party in power just changes the number of justices to stack the Court in their favor. 

Posted
5 hours ago, dcro said:

And yeah, I wonder if RBG destroyed her own legacy with these decisions (or poor judgements of her own abilities, if you will...).

Two years ago a hagiography about her somehow got Oscar-nominated, but right now it feels like her aura just went down.

She’s a cultural icon in the US. Her legacy was cemented years ago. 

She couldn’t have stepped down after 2010 because the GOP controlled the legislature, and wouldn’t approve any Obama nominees.

Posted
6 hours ago, NearPup said:

And this will further radicalize everybody.

Yes, this will absolutely further radicalize everyone.

Posted
4 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, but after the elections he can't choose a Supreme Court judge anymore, he can only keep the "ordinary administration" (unless the US enter an official war...in that case he mantains his "commander in chief" role with full power) with no more chance to sign "special acts" like that...

at least, this is what I read on the Italian newspapers about this question...

I believe he can still nominate a judge until his term expires in January.

There’s a few Americans presidents that are famous for stacking the courts the night before they leave the White House as a nice “fuck you” to the next guy.