website statistics
Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count
Posted
10 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

:nopompom:Have you watched the video ? This is not a per capita table, it's specifically designed in a way so that the biggest countries have a shot without winning "thousands medals".

Yea I did.   And it seems like a really smart mathematician tried to make a crazy formula that makes no sense.    If anything I like giving points up to 8th place and add them all up.  But what we have now is good enough, besides that there will always be discussions about the way the table should be sorted.  By golds or by total

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count
Posted
On 9/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, De_Gambassi said:

:hearts: The definitive olympics dick-o-meter has been found. It's called the "impressiveness-o-meter" and I love it :hearts:

Short story: basic medals table sucks, per capita table sucks, this does not. Long story here (actually not that long, don't worry) :

So usa or China have basically no chance to be number 1.   We can't win thousand medals 

Israel: 10/10, amazing games, most medals, 2 golds, making russia cry, 4th in open water, close to winning a medal in cycling.

2 - Surprises: Matan Roditi, Avishag Semberg, Mixed Judo Team             Hearbreaks: Katy Spachikov, Sagi Muki, Peter Paltchik, Anastasia Gorbenko

3 - Absolutley

4 - Hopefully Taekwondo, Gymanstics and Swimming

USA: maybe 5/10, lost in swimming, lost in track, 7 less golds then rio, 8 less totals, i'm glad we ended up leading the medal count but it shouldn't have been that close

2 - surprises: Jennifer Valente, Nathaniel Coleman, Xander Schauflee, Shooting team, Katy Ngeotte, Valerie Allman, Bobby Fincke. Heartbreaks : Ledecky in 200/400, Biles, Rai Benjamin, Deanna Price, Noah Lyles, Travon Brommell, the entire Archery team.

3 - Not at all, can't imagine the goal was less then 40 golds

4 - Perhaps canoeing with Nevin Harrison, Hopefully handball in anticipation for local participation in 2028. Otherwise all sport is very well funded here

17 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

My top one too for team sports.  Individually, first two to come to mind are Bobby Finke and Lee Kiefer, then add in Jennifer Valente.  

I loved valente's gold, but i had 0 expectations going in, plus i didnt watch it live and only after watching the volleyball final. She was lucky Laura Kenny got into an accident, but doesn't matter, amazing achievement. I remember in London2012 when Sarah Hammer lost on the very last event after leading through all 9 previous ones

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Draw dates subject too change:

Boxing: July 22

Karate: August 4, 17:00 local time. Top 4 will be seeded, rest will be randomly drawn

Table tennis: July 21

I saw that for Fencing it will be done every day before the competitions, and if i remember correctly wrestling is the same idea, that leaves Judo and Taekwondo, and last time Judo was 2 days before, so that would be on the 21st

24 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

As bad a history as NBC has about holding things to primetime, there still were some great moments I saw live on the 2008 streams.  One of the most satifying to watch was actually the first stream I ever saw, the 2008 Women's sabre final, sometime around 6AM Eastern.  And it was done without commentary, IIRC. To the best of my memory, they withheld so much from streams, there were probably only 10 events or so streamed where there was a US gold medal.

Vancouver as you say was even worse, I think they only streamed hockey and curling.

Then The Dick Ebersole Era ended at NBC and things started to improve.

I have exactly the same memory, i believe we won all 3 medals with Zagunis winning the gold, at the same time in judo an israeli judoka almost won a bronze

Just now, Braulio said:

May I know how did you manage that? 

You know..... i dont remember..... i am actually trying to find that same information, it's been 5 years after all

I do remember that i downloaded a firefox extension that gave the actual link of the stream, and then i downloaded separately the video and the audio, and the connected the 2. However just now i found a chrome extension that gave me a link right away and downloaded a stream from nbcolympics.com (7 minute video, top quality, 229 mb)

4 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

I'm being old school here, it's easy to conclude that athletics and artistic gymnastics are on Peacock  as opposed to regular networks is the old rule that once you broadcast something, its free game to other networks. e.g., you'd probably see the 100m replayed at least 100 times (slight exageration) before the prime time NBC broadcast if its shown live on any regular network.  So, again, NBC is embargoing prime events from the morning until they can be the first to show it on the primetime broadcast.   

it's a serious problem with NBC, i remember beijing 2008 when they started all the feeds on nbcolympics.com, they wouldn't have feeds of the main events and even swimming which was primetime in the east, i still had to wait 3 hours for them to show it in the west.

Then for vancouver even though it was the same timezone as LA, they only showed live the canada-usa hockey final and it was a big deal that it was a live coast to coast

For london they already improved and allowed streaming of gymanstics, swimming, track on nbcolympics, however you had to watch live because there would be no reruns, luckily an evening in london is still a pretty good time in here.

If i remember correctly Rio was the breakthrough, live primetime coast to coast, and everything fully open on nbcolympics, along with rewind and replay even during the live feed, off course the timezone was very good for us.

The one thing about peacock is that if you cant start the feed on time, you should wait for it to be over and then rewatch it, you cannot rewind midstream. I just turned on the diamond league on peacock and i cannot go to the start, just have to finish watching and then rewatch the beginning

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

5 TB?  Damn.. I only have 6 TB of space for Tokyo.  I hope it's enough! :d

I'll send you a PM, I think there might be a couple of things here we can share.  And wait til you see the spreadsheet I've been putting together with all the events

You? Lol I have a very big automated spreadsheet too lollll

30 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It launched last July, less than 2 weeks before what was supposed to be the original start of the Games.  So yes, they were always going to push Peacock.  And remember also they're shutting down NBCSN (their cable network), so that will probably push more programming to Peacock for the Winter Olympics next year

I'm really hoping that they will leave stuff on peacock.   After rio I found a way to save the events off nbcolympics and downloaded about 5tb of all the events.  I rather avoid it this time but still have access to it at a later date

Just now, Quaker2001 said:

And it'll be separate commentary teams, not the usual suspects on NBC.  So that will be a nice change of pace there to get 2 completely different broadcasts.  Easier on those crews so they don't have to pull double duty

Ok but why.   Is the NBC commentary team going to provide their sound later in the day and not live ? Are they even sending anyone to Tokyo or they are all broadcasting from the NBC studios

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I know this is meaningless to anyone not in the United States, but they just released their full TV schedule..

TOKYO OLYMPICS LISTINGS

I put together a big spreadsheet of all the event listings.  I'll share that here once I add all this info in.

While I'm fine watching it live on NBC Olympics with the OBS commentators good to see that now there is a way to see the us feed for gymnastics and track&field live

14 minutes ago, bmo said:

Do any of my American friends know when NBC is going to release their broadcast schedule? @Olympian1010@quaker2001 @Triplecast

I stopped looking at schedules,  I don't even watch NBC anymore.   I watch everything on NBColympics on a computer and a roku on all my tv's.    Main NBC disappointed me too many times with their story first coverage 

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted
1 hour ago, Braulio said:

Yes, TJ

Remember that while you are in Mexico, your time zone is for Central Time, so the sporting action will begin around 7 PM with swimming finals around 8:30 PM

Yea I know.    You're in pacific timezone too, no?

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted
2 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

In the Eastern US, I'll be living the nocturnal life, with things starting at about 7-8 PM and going to 9:00AM the next morning, and then try sleeping from about 930AM to  600PM  I already have the 2 weeks off from work,  To try and adjust quickly, I'll get up at about 5-6AM on July 23, then trying to take a long nap in the afternoon, following the Opening Ceremony. 

I am scared about the first 5 days, i'm in mexico for a vacation, so i'll try to VPN to connect to my nbcolympics account, and just catch up when i'm back, essentailly since those streams will stay up until at least january 1st there is plenty of time to catch up on stuff

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?
    • I can understand if they don’t have the multi-events and the walks on the athletic programme, but no javelin? 
    • That was never a controversy for anybody who has watched this sport for an hour.   in Judo you can win by strangulation or something but you can't break the neck I assume.  that's the same with kicking (or punching) to the head in Karate, you can kick but you can't kick with maximum force. that's the first thing they teach you in Karate. the very first thing.
    • Doest it matter ? Should it ?   I mean, the vast majority of olympic events are shit TV products anyway that no one watch outside of the Olympics.