website statistics
9 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

Rocket League

1 hour ago, Mkbw50 said:

I don't get what harm adding e-Sports is

Being "against tradition" is kind of irrelevant - otherwise nothing will get changed

That companies make games - companies make tennis rackets, football boots, golf clubs... not the end of the world

That it's "not a sport" - this is a bit of an NTS (No True Sportsman?). There is no line for "sport" ending and starting - if shooting can stay then e-Sports can

And that it's not "spectator friendly", the best response for that is Equestrian Dressage.

If it's too complicated... does anyone understand how Sport Climbing works... not that easy to learn... equestrian, surfing, martial arts

It has a big fan base, probably bigger than things like Taekwondo and Surfing

There can be variety with many different games

Honestly if they were big enough I wouldn't mind putting skilled card games like the PTCG in either, or even board games. If you don't want to watch don't.

But there are caveats. If only we had a Games to trial new sports like this to see if they work...

768px-International_World_Games_AssociatMaybe these guys can help us out

Yes, I agree with everything! The 2017 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games (this September) will have eSports as a demonstration sport then the 2018 Asian games will also have eSports as a demonstration sport, then the 2022 Asian games will have eSports as a medal event. Hopefully between 2018 and 2022 we will see eSports be added to more events. 

38 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm half-drunk. Get used to it !

But thanks anyway for your answer. I still feel like most of the esport fans are very passive viewers (ie: they will not turn on for one given event, but simply launch twitch and see what's going on); which it's not really how the olympics work.

Your English is 100% better than my French. It honestly just depends on the game for example LoL has games each weekend and about 100,000+ people tune in every weekend to watch it really it just depends on if the game advertises that they are having a competition. 

2 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Just for the sake of discussion. You you watch the final of say SFIV instead of an athletic or swimming infal

Kinda, confused on the wording but it all depends on the eSport to be honest I would rather watch a swimming final than a SFIV final because I dont follow SFIV. But I'd watch a SFIV final before I watch a Sport Climbing final. 

6 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

If Olympics are a sport event, why then put there something, which is not sport?

It's hard to explain because while it's not a sport in the sense of physical activity, etc. it is a sport in the fact that it uses the brain, hand-eye coordination, etc. For example, I think eSports could be in the Olympics but I don't think chess could. It's really hard to show someone what I mean if they don't know how eSports works, etc. 

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Esport are not spectators friendly at all if you didn't grew up playing video games (and, even then, LoL is something not noob-friendly at all)

Besides, you have to remember , that the people who are calling the shots are in their 60s or 70s. There might be a reason why skateboarding was included 20 or 30 after it explodes.

Besides (x2), IIRC, the olympic sports program will be the same until 2024 except for additional sporst, and I realy don't see the Paris OC going for ESport (lack of available venue, and much better proposition from other sports). It will be 2028 at the sooner (hopefully never).

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I'm not strongly against it, I have an open mind on it hence why I didn't vote. If I saw some tournaments and e-sports could show to me that it is firstly watchable as a spectator friendly sport and had a variety of different game skills and types (not just shooters and FIFA) then I could live with it. I think now is too soon but I am no more against e-sports than adding horrible mixed relays and such for the sake of it.

Yes, most eSports games you need to play to be able to understand it as a first time spectator so I think right now the IOC has only 1 viable game that could be added that is both not violent and spectator friendly. 

I'm the only one here who thinks eSports should go to the Olympics. I think what I find kinda silly is the fact that so many people are so strongly against adding it. It's not like the IOC is forcing you guys to watch eSports if it's added. If eSports do get added they would most likely be adding fifa and madden possibly the eSports with the least amount of viewership and money.