website statistics
7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Sadly the British Virgin Islands can compete as a separate country at the Olympics.

Now if he was from the Turks and Caicos Islands it would be different... ;):p

I believe he’s already competed for BVI internationally too, right? I seem to remember him from the 2018 Commonwealth Games and 2017 Youth Commonwealth Games If I’m not mistaken.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Dragon said:

I don't know what's better, the dive or the fact the runner's name was Infinite Tucker.

Neymar would be proud of him

So would Shanae Miller-Uibo

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Athletics IAAF World Relays 2019
Posted
12 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

1609,344 m - to be precisely.

Or simplified, 4 laps of the track

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Do those meets have races run in yards and heights and lengths measured in feet and inches and stuff? If so, they're disqualified from the entire discussion :p 

No. The only difference between California high school meets and the IAAF is 1) Meets are not allowed to include Javelin for safety reasons 2) No Hammer is thrown 3) the mile, instead of the 1500m is run (a mile is 1600m) 4) we run the 300m Hurdles, instead of the 400m Hurdles.

Most of that is because of USATF Youth Track regulations. Everything is run properly at the university level.

Posted
7 hours ago, dcro said:

:roflmao:

This is actually a very established event in the US. Most high school and college invitationals include it.

Posted
4 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

It's on Youtube.

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhIAYVXZhE

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmNp9JqD7U

But I don't know if it's geoblocked somewhere.

Geoblocked In US (I won’t use a VPN to view it, that would be bad ;) (that was definitely not sarcasm))

Just now, AlFHg said:

I was saying globally, but yes I believe you are right :)

It’s going to be a US invasion of Tokyo :p

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

USA can probably have a 1000 athletes achieving the Olympic standard in athletics. :d And even if joking, the scary part is that, it's probably not too far from the truth :wacko:

It really is quite unfair. I’m sorry we’re so good, I like a little medal diversity too...

I will say, while the athletics world tears itself apart at this decision...Semenya has been very classy and reasonable in her response. It makes me rethink my reaction a little bit. I can be upset about it, but in all honesty none of our opinions will do anything about it now.

3 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Yes, i am from Montenegro.

I would feel exactly the same. Principle is same, nation is of no importance here. 

A little (a lot) off topic here, but are you attending the games this month?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Yes, i agree. 3rd option should be best one, she has 2 golds at OG, now its time for something else.

Those masculine types of women athletes like her, Wambui and others...it has to stop. They can be whatever they want, but they are having huge advantage over others. And thats it.

I doubt that her race wont be argument for her appeal. Plus, transgender organisations and so on...

This case started as sport case but it will end as usual...mumbo jumbo about democracy, human rights and so on...

So how would you feel if this was happening to a Serbian (my bad, I’m really sorry I thought you were from Montenegro, but I thought you weren’t). So if it was happening to a Montenegrin?

Edited by Olympian1010

56 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Define who would compete in the "open" category

Transgender athletes, Intersex Athletes, and Para athletes who opt in

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

No real chance because men will dominate all the "open" categories anyway. Even women with a higher testosterone level will stand no chance against biological men :p This much is pretty obvious :)

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Only if they start allowing animal sports as well. Throw a referee in there and let the roosters fight. :redcard: 

With the changing gender standards it’s bound to happen at one point or another.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

East Africa dominates middle distance running anyway. There is no equality in sports and performance has paramount value. You're talking politics which should be removed from sport under all circumstances.

Sports is the ultimate playing field for politics 

27 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In the end the argument wasn't about whether or not she's a woman, it was what does the "woman category" mean in sport. It's a difficult question, this isn't something easily measurable like weight classes and in the end the answer is always going to be a bit arbitrary, but as we are slowly accepting the idea that gender isn't binary it is a question that needs to be answered and unfortunately for Semenya and others like her she's on the wrong side of that line.

I mean the obvious solution to me is to introduce a third gender category for every event, the open category.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Great decision. Professional sports is not about equal rights, it's about performance. No more Semenya / Niyonsaba  Wambui walk in the park!

So for the sake of excitement, we should just throw out human rights. Noted. 

2 hours ago, wumo26 said:

Sad day for human rights. I blame the European Athletics Federations because their upset that their athletes just don’t have equal talent. If she was a white runner from Europe or the North American this rule wouldn’t have been enforced again. This makes me so sad.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Lausanne, 29 April 2019 –

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will announce the decision in the case involving the South African athlete Caster Semenya, Athletics South Africa (ASA) and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on 1 May 2019 at 12:00 (CET) by way of a media release published on the CAS website

I really hope they made the right decision here. This has huge implications obviously. If Semenya loses, I say she takes them to international court, since we’ve already established thanks to Germans that legal jurisdiction is tricky.

Qualified Quotas Overview
Men (Total Quota: 72) Women (Total Quota: 59)

I thought the 10,000m qualification period hadn’t started yet?

Posted
1 hour ago, LDOG said:

In the bizarre world of argentine athletics....

Today the newly crowned national champion of the men's 100m sprint with 10.60 is... a member of the rugby sevens national team :facepalm:

To make it worse he's an 18 year old boy and he won the senior national championship lol   

Technically an 18 year old is an adult in most countries. I’d be more concerned about the time he won it in myself. You guys are going to be competing with Brunei Darussalam at that pace.

Bahrain had Ruth Jebet, but we all know what went wrong there

Posted (edited)

The Barkley Marathon began yesterday :d. It is known as the toughest endurance race (and I totally recommend watching the documentaries made about it). Currently there is only Karel Sabbe from :BEL left in the race after loop 4 of 5. He to do the impossible to make the cutoff for the last loop. Looks like no finishers again this year :(. Laz (the race director) wins again. 

P.S the is the only race in the world with an unknown start time (there is a period of 12 hours in which the race can start (runners are given a half hour warning before the start)) and the only race starting by the lighting of a cigarette and firecrackers.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
1 hour ago, Agger said:

I'm just doing the 2k ;)

Good for you, I’m thinking about entering a race where you run up ther entirely of Mammoth Mountian Resort. (It’s a 5km race, but held at sunset/night, and it involves 2000ft+ of elevation gain)