website statistics
Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted
2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Last year we had the problem of mixed teams that didn't fit into any category. Many suggestions were made and I would like to find a way to include them without reducing the number of categories. We currently have three teams or doubles categories:

• Best Men's Team

• Best Women's Team

• Best Doubles or Pair

I thought about adding a Best Mixed Team category (which also would include groups), but I don't know if we would have enough worthy candidates other than Equestrian, especially in a non-Olympic year. Do you guys have any suggestion?

How about combining the mixed category with the pairs and doubles to make it “Best Doubles / Pairs / Mixed Team Award”?

Not sure if it fits but it is a way to capture all of the other non-individual events in one grouping.

International Olympic Committee News
Posted (edited)

I’m honestly glad they are going this route. I have nothing against eSports. I just feel they would be totally out of place at the Summer Olympics. If they want to host a separate eSports version of the Games then what harm and I wish them the best of luck.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted

The Morocco team appearing in men’s team of the year shortlist is the most bizarre for me. I appreciate what they did was a first for an African team and they played brilliantly at the World Cup but they finished 4th, and yet they made the best team of the year shortlist….

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I have added the best Doubles/Pair category. Some contenders include:

:AUS Matthew Ebden/Max Purcell (Tennis)

:AUS Thanasi Kokkinakis/Nick Kyrgios (Tennis)

:BRA Duda/Ana Patrícia (Beach Volleyball)

:CHN Chen Yuxi/Quan Hongchan (Diving)

:CHN Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan (Badminton)

:CHN Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong (Badminton)

:CHN Sui Wenjing/Han Cong (Figure Skating)

:CHN Xu Shixiao/Sun Mengya (Canoeing)

:CZE Barbora Krejčíková/Kateřina Siniaková (Tennis)

:FRA Caroline Garcia/Kristina Mladenovic (Tennis)

:FRA Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron (Figure Skating)

:FRA Hugo Boucheron/Matthieu Androdias (Rowing)

:GER Francesco Friedrich/Thorsten Margis (Bobsleigh)

:GER Laura Nolte/Deborah Levi (Bobsleigh)

:GER Tobias Wendl/Tobias Arlt (Luge)

:GBR Alfie Hewett/Gordon Reid (Wheelchair Tennis

:HUN Bence Nádas/Bálint Kopasz (Canoeing)

:ITA Stefania Constantini/Amos Mosaner (Curling)

:MAS Aaron Chia/Soh Wooi Yik (Badminton)

:NED Diede de Groot/Aniek van Koot (Wheelchair Tennis)

:NOR Anders Mol/Christian Sørum (Beach Volleyball)

:POL Karolina Naja/Anna Puławska (Canoeing)

:ROU Ancuța Bodnar/Simona Radiș (Rowing)

:ROU Marius Cozmiuc/Sergiu Bejan (Rowing)

:ESP Cayetano García/Pablo Martínez (Canoeing)

:USA :GBR Rajeev Ram/Joe Salisbury (Tennis)

I can think of one other very worthy candidate in rowing too ;) 

:IRL O’Donovan / McCarthy who just happen to be unbeaten since 2019!

Edited by OlympicIRL

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted

I’ll need to dust off the cobwebs from my brain and try to remember the important performances throughout 2022. But I don’t need any excuse to re-watch and research the year in sport especially during the holidays :) 

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted

Olympic Videos & Pictures
Posted
1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Didn’t know this story, but I came across it last week reading a book about Nazi Germany. Did you know that there used to be an official Olympic Salute that was often used on ceremonial occasions?  What happened to it? Well, at the two 1936 Olympics there was a certain amount of confusion because……:red:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-olympic-salute-we-dont-use-anymore-because-it-looked-too-much-like-heiling-hitler-19789031/

Both actually derived from the same source, which you can see in this famous 1784 painting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_the_Horatii

Yes, this was covered on one of the series of QI when Stephen Fry was still the host.

Totallympics News Service
Posted
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

As promised...

Just a quick thanks in advance for those who choose to listen to our newest podcast. This is sort of my pet project at the moment, so it means a lot of have your support. Enjoy!

*You can listen to the episode through this embed, or find Totallympics Audio Service on platforms like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Google Podcasts, etc.

Great job Matt, a very well thought out episode :)

When you mentioned about a hypothetical California Games, I couldn’t help but think of this :d .....

I am sure @Quasit will appreciate this reference :d 

Your Favorite Opening Ceremonies
Posted
  1. Beijing 2008
  2. London 2012
  3. Athens 2004
  4. Sydney 2000
  5. Rio 2016

I have high hopes for the Tokyo ceremony. I hope they do a better job of the cauldron than London and Rio which I found to be underwhelming. (especially London’s cauldron). I want a big flame above the roof of the stadium, not some artistic thing tucked away in the corner of the stadium.