website statistics
On 3/1/2024 at 5:27 PM, AsensioWillemsen said:

It is blatantly obvious indeed (200 back/fly could also help Curzan if she manages to qualify for both although that's less likely than Smith), but a schedule is based on.. like, whatever? It is also just luck of the draw in some sense. 

Changing it afterwards for no apparent reason just seems strange though.

Curzan doesn't do 2 fly.

3 minutes ago, Timezone said:

They did break their own WR by over 1.5 seconds and beat 2nd place USA by over 4 seconds. Have current world record holder in 200m freestyle in Mollie O 'Callaghan and 3rd fastest swimmer ever in Ariarne Titmus (also owns fastest relay split ever) 

It's true but I still feel uncomfortable calling this relay a lock given the history. One thing they have going for them is the relay doesn't clash with the 100 free anymore.

12 hours ago, phelps said:

just to name a few...

:FRA Leon Marchand (swimming, men's 200m and 400 IM at least)

Track Cycling, :NED men's Team Sprint and Harrie Lavreysen (Individual Sprint)

:BUL Karlos May Nasar (weightlifting, men's -89kg)

:CHN all the table tennis, weightlifting and diving competitions in which they compete

Marchand didn't even have the fastest time in the 200 IM last year.

11 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

In swimming, :CAN Summer McIntosh should be a heavy favourite to win the women's 400m Individual Medley.

And if she doesn't swim the 800m freestyle (which seems very likely), then Ledecky should be a lock in that event too.

The 1500 is a lock for Ledecky regardless.

Personally I don't think Oceania should even exist as a separate region but I don't think Asia would accept us merging with them and no other solution makes sense. I don't think many Australians outside the rhythmic gymnastics and artistic swimming communities would even notice if Australia didn't have those teams at the Olympics.

Edited by dullard

A good chance for a medal in Paris in a sport or an event that your NOC had no olympic medal before.
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 01/27/2024 - will be permanently removed on 01/26/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 01/27/2024 - will be permanently removed on 01/26/2026
1 minute ago, Mr. Cam said:

Well, are the Boomers going to win an Olympic Gold Medal in Men's Basketball???

Or, are the Opals going to win an Olympic Gold Medal in Women's Basketball???

Is that relevant enough for you?

It's not relevant because Australia has already won medals in basketball and this thread is about sports where a country has never won any medals. Apparently reading comprehension is HARD.

A good chance for a medal in Paris in a sport or an event that your NOC had no olympic medal before.
Posted (edited) · Deleted by Sindo on 01/27/2024 - will be permanently removed on 01/26/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 01/27/2024 - will be permanently removed on 01/26/2026
4 minutes ago, Mr. Cam said:

Australia will NOT win a medal in Men's & ESPECIALLY in Women's basketball.

Australia has already won multiple medals in basketball so what's this got to do with a thread titled "A good chance for a medal in Paris in a sport or an event that your NOC had no olympic medal before"?

Edited by dullard
1 hour ago, dantm said:

Mollie O’Callaghan will be the biggest swimming star in Paris

100m Freestyle in a WR time

200m Freestyle in a WR time

4x100m Free Relay (WR)

4x200m Free Relay. (WR)

Would love to see it. The first one is gonna be the most difficult.

On 1/7/2024 at 12:54 PM, RussB said:

Just a quick note on the 4x100m relay, assuming GB qualify in Doha (I.e. not another Dsq please), they could push US very hard in the final. I think predicting them for silver is appropriate, but it wouldn’t shock me if they took down the US with a quarter of:

Richards

Dean

Guy / Scott

Whittle 

Jacob is really improving as shown by his Euro SC PB, with Richards contesting for individual Gold, Dean being super reliable and with Jimmy or Duncan rounding the team off. Could be very fast, I’m interested to see if they can lay a glove on the Americans.

Guy won't be in the final and hopefully they can avoid using Burras cos that guy's like a random split generator.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:38 PM, rafalgorka said:

I wonder how it is in your country but in Poland we say: The flag bearer won't make it to the medal.

In recent editions Polish flag bearers were usually well-picked (imho) but they failed to get a medal almost every time.

Australia's flag bearers for the last three Summer Olympics all won medals.

9 minutes ago, orangeman said:

As a biased Canadian, I think Summer uses Fukuoka as inspiration to be ready for the 400m in Paris. Also, she won't be peaking for the nationals like this year, she will be peaking for Paris. I will never underestimate Ledecky or Titmus and they can come out hard, too (as they did in Fukuoka) but I see Summer taking her WR back in this race, setting the tone for her domination over the week.  And if she wins the 400m, I see her helping Canada stay on the podium for the relay later that night. But that depends more on the state of Ruck (and to a lesser extent Oleksiak who always rises to the occasion).  

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ruck get back close to her best now it looks like she's training at ASU.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

5. Remove Swimming- Women’s 400m Freestyle, and change it with Swimming- Women’s 100m Butterfly. MacNeil’s dominance the past few years in this event (Whether short/long course), has really changed my opinion. 

MacNeil is the favourite at this point but her win in Tokyo wasn't exactly dominant.

The requirement for teams to qualify relays at the 2024 World Aquatic Championships in Doha has been abandoned.

Now, qualification will revert to a more traditional process in which the top three finishers at the July 2023 World Championships in Fukuoka will qualify instantly for Paris a year out from the Games.

The remaining 13 berths in each relay will then be decided by the best times set either at Fukuoka or Doha, meaning teams that miss the top three in Fukuoka can still qualify for Paris without sending their best swimmers to the Middle East. 

Nations on the borderline of the top 16 will still have to calculate after Fukuoka whether they believe their top 16 effort in Japan is strong enough to resist challenges at the last-chance saloon in Doha but the top 12 or so teams will now feel much more confident that their summer 2023 efforts will get them to Paris.

https://www.stateofswimming.com/world-aquatics-hears-athlete-coach-voices-to-lift-doha-relays-lock-for-paris-olympics/

8 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

If you have the entry standard you are safe 

No the numbers are capped and only 50% of the places are available to those who meet the entry standard.

Athletes will be able to qualify in two ways for the Paris 2024 Games, with 50% of qualification places based on achieving the entry standard for an event within the qualification period, and the other 50% based on the World Athletics Ranking within the ranking period.

https://olympics.com/en/news/how-to-qualify-paris-2024-athletics-qualification-system-explained

So I guess that means if there's too many that meet the standard they will take the fastest and the rest need to qualify via ranking.