website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

Tomorrow Monday will offer a day off in the womens Under 18 Top division and in the mens Under 20 Division II B as well, but the womens Under 18 divisions I A and I B will continue with their second playing day.

Womens

Under 18 Division I Group A World Championships in Budapest (HUN)

Day 2 Schedule (9th January 2017)

GMT +1

12:00  France vs Norway

15:30  Slovakia vs Austria

19:00  Germany vs Hungary

Livestreams

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Womens

Under 18 Division I Group B World Championships in Katowice (POL)

Day 2 Schedule (9th January 2017)

GMT +1

13:00  Italy vs China

16:30  Denmark vs Great Britain

20:00  Kazakhstan vs Poland

Livestreams

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Womens

Day 2 (9th January 2017)

12:00  France vs Norway  2-3 after OT

15:30  Slovakia vs Austria  3-2 

19:00  Germany vs Hungary  3-0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Womens

Day 2 (9th January 2017)

13:00  Italy vs China  4-2

16:30  Denmark vs Great Britain  5-1

20:00  Kazakhstan vs Poland  2-4

After one day break Tomorrow Tuesday will continue the battles in the womens Under 18 top division with the last day of the preliminary round. also the 3rd day of the mens Under 20 division II B. The womens Under 18 divisions I A and I B will have their first of two programmed rest days.

Mens

Under 20 Division II Group B World Championships in Logroňo (ESP)

Day 3 Schedule (10th January 2017)

GMT +1

13:00  South Korea vs Australia

16:30  Serbia vs Belgium

20:00  Spain vs Mexico

Livestreams

Womens

Under 18 Top Division World Championships in Czech Republic

Day 3 Schedule  (10th January 2017)

GMT +1

Preliminary Round last day

Group A in Zlín

15:30  USA vs Canada

*Traditional Match of the two top favorites, both countries are already qualified for the semifinals, tomorrows game will just determinate the 1st and 2nd place of the group and thus teorethically better opponent in the semifinals.

19:30  Russia vs Sweden

*Both Teams already know that they will must play the quarterfinals, tomorrow they will fight for the 3rd and 4th place in the group, and for a "easier" opponent in the QF.

Group B in Přerov

16:15  Czech Republic vs Finland

*Finland already qualified for the Quarterfinals will want to top the group and avoid the 3rd placed team of Group A, The Host team still fight for the quarters in case of win they will qualify, if it will be a win in regulation time they will advance from 1st place if it will be a win after overtime/GWS from 2nd place behind Finland.

20:15  Japan - Switzerland

*The match may be important for Switzerland, If Finland will beat Czech Republic, Switzerland will still fight for the quarterfinals and in case of win will accompany Finland in the play-offs, For Japan this match hasn´t any big meaning, the Japanese girls might take this game as another practice, because they already know that they will play the relegation round, their opponent will be known after tomorrows games and it will be one of the Czech Republic/Switzerland.

Livestreams

Mens

Day 3 (10th January 2017)

13:00  South Korea vs Australia   4-1

16:30  Serbia vs Belgium   6-1

20:00  Spain vs Mexico  10-0

Womens

Day 3  (10th January 2017)

Preliminary Round last day

Group A in Zlín

15:30  USA vs Canada  0-1 after Overtime

19:30  Russia vs Sweden  2-1 after GWS

*Canada won the group A with 8 points, USA finished second with 7 points, both teams advance automatically to the semifinals, 3rd Russia with 2 points and 4th Sweden with 1 point go to the quarterfinals.

Group B in Přerov

16:15  Czech Republic vs Finland  3-2 after Overtime

20:15  Japan - Switzerland  1-2

*Finland won the group with 7 points, Czech republic finished second with 6 points, both teams qualify for the quarterfinals (Finland will face Sweden and the Czech Republic will meet Russia), 3rd Switzerland 5 points and 4th Japan 0 points will play together again in the relegation round serie (best of 3 matches).

WOMEN'S UNDER 18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Frontpage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA - Canada  0-1 after Overtime

Canada's Bell fires OT winner

Canada-U.S. decided by 1-0 score

Canada's Bell fires OT winner

Captain Ashton Bell scored the only goal of the game at 1:57 of 3-on-3 overtime to give Canada first place in Group A.

Bell gathered a loose puck at the U.S. blue line to create a three-on-one but didn't hesitate in firing a shot over the glove of Alex Gulstene.

"It was a great play by my teammates to get the puck free," Bell recounted. "I happened to be there and was thinking shot all the way."

"I was just watching the puck trying to read what she was going to do," Gulstene described, "She got a quick release off and beat me clean."

Danika Ranger was excellent in stopping all 23 shots she faced for the shutout, while Gulstene stopped 29 of 30, many tough saves as well.

"We wanted to shut them down, and I think as a team we did that," said Ranger. "I tried to stay in front of the puck and communicate with my defence, so they'd know when to push players out of the way. They were great."

"We came out a little slow in the first but got some momentum as the  game went on," Gulstene added. "In the third and overtime we kept the puck in their end. All in all, the team played really well."

Players on both sides blocked shots with impunity, and both sides had their share of puck possession. In the end, it was one moment, one shot that was the difference.  

In some ways the game had little meaning in that both teams had already earned byes to the semi-finals, but a Canada-United States is never meaningless. Regardless of the score, the result set up what is expected to be a gold-medal final between the same teams on Saturday night in Zlin.

The scoreless first period offered five power plays, three to the U.S., but the two best scoring chances came short-handed to Canada.

Midway through the period Gabrielle David stole the puck at her blue line and dashed the length of the rink only to be stoned by Gulstene on a deke.

Later it was Audrey-Anne Veillette with a quick steal right in front of the American goal, but her low shot was again stopped by Gulstene.

The best stop by Ranger in the Canadian goal came off a nice play by Grace Zumwinkle, who walked out of the corner and snapped a hard shot to the short side which the goalie blocked aside.

The shot Ranger remembers best, though, was one early on which to the casual eye might have seemed ordinary but was anything but for her. "I remember making a nice gove save on their first shot, and that was important because it really got me into the game with some momentum." 

The second period was also scoreless but not without plenty of end-to-end action. The Americans came out flying and had good pressure in the Canadian end, but no pucks got by Ranger.

After killing an early penalty, Canada then took over for a long stretch—but still no goals. The best chance came when Audrey-Anne Veillette set up Sarah Fillier in front, but Filler’s shot rang off the post behind Gulstene.

Later, on a Canada power play, American Taylor Heise stripped Brooke Hobson of the puck at the blue line and went in alone, only to blast a shot high.

The third was more cautious, but the U.S. had by far the better of play. Cayla Barnes nearly had the game winner late in the third but Ranger, from the seat of her pants, kicked out her left pad to make a sensational save.

And so, Canada has fired the opening salvo, and if the teams meet again for gold, it promises to be another North American gem.

"We're faster than they are," Gulstene said. "They get a lot of energy, and then they kind of settle down a bit. We have to attack their weaknesses when they're down. We're both great teams, but we have to bring our A game if we meet in the finals."

Frontpage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Czech Republic - Finland  3-2  after Overtime

Overtime magic in Prerov

Erbenova's OT PP goal puts Czechs in quarters

Overtime magic in Prerov

A shot from the point by Magdalena Erbenova on a 5-on-3 power play in overtime found the back of the net, and sent the host Czechs into the quarter-finals.

“I guess I'm lucky, maybe I know how to score, I don't know,” an elated Erbenova said after scoring her second game-winning goal of the tournament. “I changed my stick – it was cracked in two places and broke, so I exchanged it and told myself that I'd score. So I did it.”

Erbenova also had an assist in the game, and her three goals and four points are both tied for the tournament lead among not only defenders, but all players, with the USA's Cayla Barnes.

The Czechs entered the game knowing that two points would see them through, whereas the Finns already knew they were in the next round. For two periods, that's how it looked, a the Czechs out-shot Finland 24-13, but led only 1-0.

When asked if the fact that the game was more important to the Czechs than the Finns was a factor in the game, Finnish defender Heli Allinen answered, “Maybe a bit, but not as much as I was expecting.

“Emotion or motivation wasn't the problem. We just didn't play our game,” continued Allinen, who was chosen her team's best player and assisted on the go-ahead goal. “We need to pass better, skate more, and be more patient.”

In the third period the Finns pushed back and scored twice, putting the Czechs in trouble. A loss would mean nervously watching the group's last game, and being big fans of Japan. A goal by Kristyna Kaltounkova with 2:34 left tied it, setting up Erbenova's overtime heroics.

The first period was played rather defensively, although there were some funny bounces at each end which saw the puck bounce dangerously close to the net. Each team had a couple of power plays, but the best scoring chance of the period came shorthanded, when Natalie Mlynkova won a race for a loose puck in the neutral zone, made a nice move to beat a Finnish defender, but then couldn't fool Finnish goalie Sanni Ahola, who denied her with the left pad.

The game became chippy in the second period and referee Yana Zueva was busy, doling out 12 minor penalties. The first two of them went to Finland, giving the Czechs a 5-on-3 advantage for 1:09. It took just 23 seconds to capitalize, with Mlynkova deflecting Klara Hymlarkova's shot from the point.

“The Czechs are a good team. They've got speed and they get lots of shots, and they've got a dangerous power play, as we saw,” said Allinen. “But the biggest problem was ourselves. We could have beaten them if we had played three good periods instead of one.”

Things calmed down in the third as both teams focused on the task at hand. And what a third period it turned into.

After two lacklustre periods, the Finns woke up. They fired 13 shots on Kristyna Blahova – half of their total for the game. They tied it with under 14 minutes to play when the Czechs were unable to clear the zone and captain Petra Nieminen fed Kiia Nousianen, who fired a shot from just below the top of the circle over Blahova's blocker.

Four minutes later they tied it on the power play, and it was a great individual effort from Jenniina Nylund, who carried the puck over the blueline, cut into the middle, and fired a shot over Blahova's glove.

“We knew the Finns would be the toughest opponent of the group, and we were waiting for them,” Eerbenova explained. “They're a great skating team and they can capitalize when they get chances, but we believed that we could beat them with our team play, and we did.”

With their situation now desperate, the Czechs started pressing. Ahola made a couple of nice saves, but she couldn't stop Kaltounkova, who carried the puck down the left wing boards, then drove to the net from a sharp angle and somehow managed to find some room through the Finnish goalie to tie the game, setting off a big celebration on the ice and in the stands.

“After the 2-2 goal I was jumping for joy, and maybe burst into tears of joy,” said Erbenova, who earned an assist. “I'm really happy that we scored that goal and went into overtime.”

The teams started overtime 3-on-3 as usual, but each had a player in the penalty box. With 35 seconds to play, Iina Tohila was called for tripping, putting the Czechs a player up. Another 10 seconds later, they went two up when Noemi Neuenbauerova returned to the ice, setting the stage for the team's second 5-on-3 goal of the game.

The win means that both teams are in the quarter-finals, but with the Czechs staying in Prerov, the Finns are headed to Zlin. One will play Russia, the other Sweden, still to be determined.

“It doesn't matter who we play,” Allinen dutifully answered.

Frontpage

Russia - Sweden  2-1  after GWS

Russia wins in a shootout

2-1 loss means Sweden will face Finland in quarters

Russia wins in a shootout

Oxana Bratisheva scored the only goal of the penalty-shot shootout, giving Russia a quarter-finals date with the Czech Republic after defeating Sweden, 2-1.

Bratisheva scored on the fourth Russian shot with a nice deke, and Felizia Wikner Zienkiewicz was stopped by Valeria Merkusheva on the final chance for Sweden to secure the win. 

"I thought she was going to shoot," said Sweden's goalie, Sophia Reiderborn, who was sensational again in stopping 39 of 41 shots in the game. "That's why I looked a little off balance. Things happen. It sucks."

With the loss, Sweden will face Finland in the other quarter-finals while Canada and the United States await their semi-finals opponents. The Swedes have managed only two goals in three games while surrendering eleven.

Sweden thought it had scored the winning goal with only 2:45 remianing in the third period off a wrist shot from Sofie Lundin, breaking a scoreless tie. But just 55 seconds later the Russians tied it when Nina Pirogova banged in a loose puck from in close.

"This was a very tough game," admitted Russian forward Polina Bolgareva. "But we worked and worked and managed to score. We were happy."

"The Czechs are a difficult opponent for us," Bolgareva continued. "They have defeated us in the past, but tomorrow we will win. That's my feeling."

Indeed, Bolgareva, in her record-tying fourth WW18, has a long memory. The Czechs beat Russia, 1-0, to claim bronze at the 2014 WW18.

Tonight's three-on-three overtime produced few scoring chances, forcing the shootout. 

Despite the importance of the game the Swedes came out a little flat, and the Russians skated well with the puck to create some good scoring chances. But Reideborn, coming into her own in Zlin, was letter perfect to keep the game scoreless.

The second period featured no fewer than seven penalties, and although there were more good chances as a result, there were no goals.

Pernilla Forsgren lost the puck at the Russia blue line, allowing a two-on-one for Russia with Maria Nadezhdina and Bolgareva. Bolgarvea missed the open side on a hard pass across, though.

A short while later Celine Tedenby walked in alone on goal but Merkusheva was there to make a nice save.

Another bobble at the Russian line, this by Maja Nylen Persson, allowed a clean break for Viktoria Kulishova, but she was stopped by Reideborn.

Later in the period, during another power play, the Swedes had two quick chances from Lina Ljungblom and captain Hanna Olsson, but Merkusheva was that much better.

The Sweden-Finland game will take place in Zlin tomorrow night while the Russia-Czech game will be earlier in the day in Prerov. First on the agenda tomorrow, though, is game one of a best-of-three relegation-round series between the Swiss and Japanese.

Frontpage

Japan - Switzerland  1-2

Tight win for Switzerland

Swiss edge Japanese in Relegation preview

Tight win for Switzerland

In what turned out to be a preview of the relegation series, Switzerland edged Japan 2-1 to take third place in Group B.

Less than two hours before they were set to face off, these two teams found out this would be the first of three – and possibly four – straight games. The only difference is, this one wouldn't count in their relegation series, other than determine who would be the home team for the first and third games.

“This is the third year in a row that we have ended up in the relegation series because of the game right before us,” sighed Swiss coach Andrea Kroni, after watching the Czech Republic's overtime win over Finland dash her team's quarter-final hopes. “It's disappointing for all of our players, but we had to put it aside because we had a hockey game to play. They did the job, they won, so I'm proud of them for that.”

After a scoreless first period, the teams traded goals in the second, and then Noemi Ryhner scored a power-play goal in the first minute of the third period, and that proved to be the game-winner.

“I think we played pretty good today, but not enough goals,” assessed Japanese head coach Yoshifumi Fujisawa, echoing the problem his team had against the Czech Republic and Finland.

Like they have all tournament, the Japanese played their opponents tough. And as she has been all tournament, Saskia Maurer was excellent in the Swiss goal, although in this game she was a lot less busy than against Finland or the Czech Republic, facing only 18 shots in the game.

Both second-period goals were scored in the first six minutes. Lara Zimmermann struck first for Switzerland, beating two Japanese players to the puck near the Swiss blue line getting a breakaway, beating Mei Sato high to the blocker side. Then four minutes later, Moeka Tsutsumi whacked in a rebound to tie the score for Japan.

A Japanese penalty late in the second period carried over into the third, and just 26 seconds in, Ryhner's big slapper from the point went through everybody and in.

After that, Switzerland put the game on lockdown, allowing only five Japanese shots the rest of the way.

“Today we were playing for pride, for Japan hockey,” Fujusawa continued, “but tomorrow will be more important.”

Assessing the opponent he will be well familiar with over the next few days, Fujisawa said, “Switzerland is a good team. They have a good goalie and they're big, so it's going to be tough.”

As for the Japanese, Kroni said, “They are a difficult team to play against because they are very disciplined and they never quit.

“We wanted to show the Japanese that we can beat them. Now we have to go out tomorrow and the next game and do it.”

These two teams now go at it for real starting tomorrow, with the second game on Friday and the third, if necessary on Saturday. The winner of the best-of-three series stays in the top division, while the loser goes down to Division I, Group A.

Another Big World Championships day to come tomorrow, 4 different tournaments will have their daymatch.

Mens

Day 4 Schedule (11th January 2017)

GMT +1

13:00  Australia vs Serbia

16:30  Mexico vs South Korea

20:00  Belgium vs Spain

Livestreams

Womens

Day 4 Schedule  (11th January 2017)

GMT +1

Quarterfinal in Zlín

20:15  4A-1B Sweden vs Finland

Quarterfinal in Přerov

16:15  3A-2B Russia vs Czech Republic

Relegation Round in Přerov

Match 1

20:15  3B-4B Switzerland vs Japan

Livestreams

Womens

Day 3 Schedule (11th January 2017)

GMT +1

12:00  Germany vs Slovakia

15:30  Austria vs Norway

19:00  France vs Hungary

Livestreams

Womens

Day 3 Schedule (11th January 2017)

GMT +1

13:00  Denmark vs China

16:30  Italy vs Kazakhstan

20:00  Poland vs Great Britain

Livestreams