website statistics

Team AUS at Paris 2024 | Daily

Day 6 Review

A really solid day with good results right across the board.

The Racewalks went as I expected, with Tingay 11th and Montag getting the bronze. I hope we can contend in the new mixed relay event.

Tara Rigney is through to the A final in the single sculls, while both eight boats got through the repechage

Del Solar/Clancy are looking good to go through in the beach volleyball. Not so much for both men’s teams

Woman’s 3x3 basketball with solid wins over China and the US, are currently first overall. Still more games to come

Men’s Hockey bounced back after the Belgian defeat with a 5-0 win over NZ, but the woman were held to a tight 3-3 draw. Both teams will progress to the next stage

Sailing is still looking great for us as Grae morris in the windsurfing still leads after 13 races. Matt Wearn got underway today in the laser and is 2nd overall after 2 races. 

Water Polo has been great for us at these Paris games as the men defeated France 9-8. 

Woman’s basketball got a crucial win over Canada 70-65

Surfing looks good as Tyler Wright is through to the quarters. The Ewing/Robinson showdown is happening in the next few hours, so at least one Aussie will be through to the semi. 

Kennedy and Sakakibara look strong so far in the BMX racing, both are through to the semis. 

With swimming it was underwhelming for dekkers not to medal but Woman’s 4x200 with a great gold and Olympic record. Such a crucial result as we didn’t win that one in Tokyo. Cam was ok in semi but will need to swim faster tomorrow.

So in the end a great day overall with solid results, but we are building into a massive day tomorrow with many chances 

Medal Count after day 6 

Gold 8 Silver 6 Bronze 4 

Day 7 Preview :AUS

A huge huge day today, with 5 gold medal chances for Australia. 

Our first chance in the day, and least likely comes with Morrison/Mcintyre in the rowing woman’s pair final. They are the clear favourites for silver behind the dutch pair. I cant help but think this is our only chance for gold in rowing, but its small.

Men’s windsurfing medal race is today, and grae morris is straight through to the final. I hope he can win it, as it would be a surprising gold for us.

Swimming tonight is Cam Mcevoy in the 50free final and Kaylee in the 200back. Cant help but think both are must wins. Will be very nervous 

Then the day ends with the BMX racing finals. Sakakibara looked really strong so far but hopefully she continues in the semis and then the final. 
Conservatively I think Kennedy is just a small bronze medal chance as although hes looked good, the french could wipe out that podium.

Outside of the medals today some important things happening such as high jump qualifying, hopefully patterson and olyslagers start well, and lets see what moloney can do in the decathlon. 

Teremoana in the boxing 92kg quarterfinal.

Massive day!

Day 7 Review :AUS

A perfect end to an action packed day 7! 

Day started with the rowing bronze for Morrison/Mcintyre which was ok, however they were favoured to get the silver.

Men’s basketball and Field hockey with poor results losing to Greece and India respectively, but both teams progress past the group stage, and for the basketball they can thank canada.

I hope Goorjian gets thrown out after these games. Absolutely useless  

As for Sailing the medal races for windsurfing were postponed however Wearn in the ICLA after 4 races is now on top.

Best thing that came in the day outside of the medals were peers/ebden making the doubles gold medal match. I wasn’t expecting much in the tennis at these games because it’s clay but this is a great result.

Athletics had mixed results as unfortunately Moloney is injured once again, but Patterson and Olyslagers cruised through to the final. 

Results on the track were generally horrible but Hollingsworth goes through the heat. As for the men’s 1500m you can only laugh and once again wonder why they didn’t select cam myers.

Swimming in the end was perfect, with Cam getting the job done after for so long speculating if he could do it. With that he becomes the first male gold for Australia at these games, and then less then 10 mins later Kaylee eases her way to another gold. 200IM semi she does what she needed to do.

Sakakibara then tops off a great day! unfortunate for Kennedy who could’ve challenged for a minor medal if he didn’t fall.

In the end 3 golds and 1 bronze today, a successful solid day.

Total Medal Count 

Gold 11  Silver 6  Bronze 5 

Day 8 Preview 

Another big day coming up 

First major interest of the day comes in the men’s road race, keen to see how Michael Matthews does.

Then the tennis gold medal match with peers/ebden. Really hopeful that they can win it 

Men’s windsurfing final should hopefully happen today and Grae morris has already guaranteed a medal 

Main interest in athletics is Kurtis Marshall in pole vault qualifying 

Second last day of swimming and 3 chances for Australia tonight but we aren’t favourites in any of them. Woman’s 200im with kaylee our best chance, mixed medley relay we will be in the mix and titmus in the 800.

Halfway through the games and much more to come! 👍