website statistics

Team AUS at Paris 2024 | Daily

Posted (edited)

Day 4 Review :AUS

A rough day for Australia was saved at the end thanks to Kaylee Mckeown defeating smith in the swimming 100back final. That result is also crucial for our chances in beating the US in the swimming gold medal tally, which is very much possible. 

The day started positively with our men defeating Serbia in the water polo, but things very quickly started to turn bad a few hours later with the Boomers losing to Canada, then James Willet bottoming out in the mens trap final, doing much more poorly than in qualifying. 

Whilst that was happening, it was also absolute chaos at the Rugby 7s as our woman strongly favoured to make the gold medal final and contend against NZ was defeated by Canada. Then to make matters worse, they go on to lose the bronze medal final against the US. 
This was giving London 2012/Rio 2016 vibes at this point, with poor results happening all over the joint.

Mens hockey then go on the lose to Belgium 6-2 which is a concern.

But thankfully Kaylee critically saved the day with that massive result, as Smith was always gonna be more likely to take the 100back crown from her compared to the 200.

Mens 4x200 relay was fine and gave us our first bronze of the games 

Medal Count After Day 4

Gold  6  Silver 4  Bronze 1 

We are now also only 2 golds away from matching the amount won in London and rio. 

Edited by Dkats

Day 5 :AUS Preview

Day 5 is likely to be the biggest day of the games for Australia in terms of chances for gold. 

First medal chance for Australia will come in the men’s Triathlon, as Hauser is a small chance for a bronze.

It will then be a wait to see if Penny Smith makes the final of the woman’s trap.

My prediction of not winning a gold in rowing is looking likely but there are 2 important semi finals today with Tara Rigney in the woman’s single sculls and Morrison/McIntyre in the woman’s pair.

Lizzie Dekkers the main one to look for in the heats of the swimming.

First gold chance of the day will come with reigning champ Logan Martin in the BMX free final. I didn’t predict him to win again pre games but you never know.

Then we see Jess fox again in woman’s C1 final. Really hope she completes the double.

Then the swimming tonight is going to be something else. MOC in the woman’s 100 free final, Chalmers in the men’s 100 free final, and ZSC in the 200 breast final. I really want us to win at least 2/3 of these but it’s tough once again. I think MOC is most likely. Not winning any of these would be a disaster. Shayna Jack could also end up on the podium.

It hard to predict how many of these chances I want us to win today, but this is clearly the day that will seperate an average games to an incredible games for the team. 

Looking forward to it but it will be a tough one. 

Natalya Diehm Bronze 🥉in Woman’s BMX Freestyle!!!

First unexpected medal of the games so far for Australia, as I can’t recall her finishing better than 5th before. 

A great result 👍

Penny smith also just sneaks through to Trap Final.

Day 5 :AUS Review

That tough swimming session dampened what has otherwise been a good day for Australia.

Day started positively with Penny Smith making the Trap final and going on to win a solid bronze 

Hauser 7th in Triathlon which was the best result for an Australian in 20 years

A surprise win over Netherlands for our woman in the water polo

Natalya Diehm bmx bronze was a surprise result 

Logan martin failed to land a run in the BMX free final, but I didn’t predict him to win pre games, I thought JeanJean would win it.

Jess Fox was incredible and has now completed the K1 C1 double with the cross still to come 

Peers/Ebden through to Semi finals of mens doubles but Ebden/Perez choked badly in the mixed, having match point. 

Biggest positive of the day outside of Jess Fox has to be Grae Morris in the windsurfing, he’s stormed into 1st place overall after 4 solid races today. Theres still a while to go but will be one to keep an eye on as I was expecting matt wearn to be our only sailing gold medal chance.

swimming was rough, but I’m proud of both Chalmers and ZSC. Both gold medal winners were just too good, there wasn’t much more they could do

Im more disappointed with MOC, sarah did swim well but thats such a painful event for us not to win, let alone even medal. Extremely poor result 

I’m now getting concerned that we may not reach the 17 golds won in tokyo, but there is still many chances ahead. At the end of swimming we will likely be down on swimming golds compared to tokyo. So reaching 17 is just gonna be extremely tough because of that. We definitely wont reach 50 medals. But still a small chance of getting near 17 golds, although very tough. 

We still have a healthy amount chances to come

Medal Count after day 5

Gold 7 Silver 6 Bronze 3

Day 6 :AUS Preview

Day starts with the race walks, our best chance is Jemima Montag, as she will be one of the favourites, ranked no 3 in the world. 

In the rowing the both eight boats are in the repechages, Tara rigney in single sculls semi final, men’s 4 in the A and maybe a small chance for bronze with that.

Swimming heats this morning we will get our first look at McEvoy the 50, he is now so crucial after what happened last night. Kaylee in 200 back heats, Woman’s 4x200 relay aswell.

Men’s windsurfing continues so hopefully grae morris continues his form.

wearn gets under way in the Icla 7

Also beginning today is the BMX racing, Sakakibara and Kennedy are both big chances so hopefully they start well.

In swimming finals tonight hopefully dekkers can sneak in a minor medal in the 200 butterfly, and the woman’s 4x200 relay is a must win.

Hopefully a gold, silver and bronze today but a surprise in the woman’s race walk would be nice.

Edited by Dkats