website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 1 (July 27)

Overall, a quite decent first day. McIntosh backs up her status as the clear second favourite, and winning silver in the women’s 400m freestyle was nice. Also in swimming, our women’s 4x100m freestyle relay and our men’s 4x100n freestyle relay finished 4th and 6th, but the times were actually quite solid so I can’t be too mad. Another highlight was the men’s 10m air pistol qualification, didn’t expect Michele Esercitato to make much noise yet he finished just a few points shy of making it to the final in 17th. Men’s basketball team recorded a nice 86-79 win over Greece to open up their Olympic campaign, although like @NearPup said, I wish they didn’t let it get so close after having multiple semi big leads. With all of that being said, for me our highlight was our fencers Xiao and Arfa, who were on fire making it to the round of 16 and quarterfinals in women’s epee and men’s sabre. For Arfa, that’s a best ever finish by a Canadian man in fencing!

As for the disappointments, none were major but probably have to be Derek Gee in men’s time trial (although he competed in the Tour de France a week ago, so perhaps not too surprising), and Felix Dolci in men’s artistic gymnastics (mainly him not qualifying for the men’s floor final)