website statistics

Your safest Gold Medal Picks for Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

Not ultra-safe/locked by any means but the most predictable Gold medal options are in Race Walk, either Álvaro Martín in Men's competition, María Pérez in Women's competition or the mixed marathon relay race. Both Martín & Pérez are the current world champions.

The other one is Jordi Xammar & Nora Brugman in Sailing (470 mixed), they've been almost unbeaten during this olympic cycle.

Edited by samterry

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I'd say the closest thing to a gold medal lock Canada has is McIntosh in the 400m IM, but I hesitate to call McIntosh a shoe-in in any race.

Is McKeown going to swim the 400 IM?  Otherwise, she is 10 seconds ahead of the field. 

2 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Is McKeown going to swim the 400 IM?  Otherwise, she is 10 seconds ahead of the field. 

No, she already said that swim at the Aussie Olympic Trials was a one and done. 

Technically 7.5 seconds if you’re judging off PB’s, but yeah it won’t be close. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NearPup said:

I'd say the closest thing to a gold medal lock Canada has is McIntosh in the 400m IM, but I hesitate to call McIntosh a shoe-in in any race.

I don’t get why you think that. The only way she’s losing is if she gets DQ’d. 

Edited by Josh

Wouldn't say Qin is a lock for either event. I believe he had an injury a few months ago and Peaty looks to be back in the 100, with many men close in the 200.

5 hours ago, samterry said:

Not ultra-safe/locked by any means but the most predictable Gold medal options are in Race Walk, either Álvaro Martín in Men's competition, María Pérez in Women's competition or the mixed marathon relay race. Both Martín & Pérez are the current world champions.

The other one is Jordi Xammar & Nora Brugman in Sailing (470 mixed), they've been almost unbeaten during this olympic cycle.

With GB out of the picture I think Women’s Football is also pretty likely, but not really a lock. Can’t see anybody from Europe beat them, so it comes down to Canada, USA and Australia. Of which I can only see USA doing it.

Considering Netherlands, I think individual sprint for Lavreijsen and Karolien Florijn in the W1x are the closest to a lock we will get.

In terms of track cycling there are a few near locks I can think of:

Harrie Lavreysen : Men's Individual Sprint :NED  - A couple of years ago he was challenged by the Aussie Richardson but he's been a class apart from everyone for the last 18 or so months. Right now I'd pick him to win 3 Golds with the individual sprint a near lock.

Emma Finucane: Women's Individual Sprint :GBR  - Has dominated this event this past year. Set the fastest Flying 200m time not on altitude at the world champs last year with a 10.2. Still only 21 so will only improve and like Lavreysen is also destined for greatness in Paris imo with 3 Golds not out of the equation for her too.

Ethan Hayter: Men's Omnium :GBR -  Been tremendous in this discipline ever since Tokyo, In fact I don't even think he's lost an omnium he's competed in since Tokyo (not completely sure, happy to be proven wrong). - One thing I will say about the omnium though is that crashes and luck do sometimes play a major part so I'm much more confident in the previously mentioned riders.

43 minutes ago, Surreal said:

Wouldn't say Qin is a lock for either event. I believe he had an injury a few months ago and Peaty looks to be back in the 100, with many men close in the 200.

Only 2 men, but that’s more than enough.