website statistics

GB Boxing

It looks like Reese Lynch is back to full fitness - he's been included in the squad taking part in the Socikas International tournament this weekend in Lithuania and he has won his first round fight against :LTU Aleksandras Petrovskis. 

I think the selection for Bangkok needs to be done by about 17th of April so I guess this will be an important tournament for him as he will need to prove he's back to full fitness for the selectors to give him the nod for the final Olympic qualifying tournament. 

Also in the squad this week are Scott Richards and Hamza Mehmood in the 51Kg, Joe Tyers in 63.5Kg, Harris Akbar in 71Kg, Ramtin Musah in 80Kg and Isaac Okoh in 86Kg.

Alongside the victory for Lynch, Richards, Tyers and Musah all recorded victories on the first day, but Harris Akbar was defeated. 

Reese Lynch comes up short against :KAZ Zhandos Kydyraliyev in the semi-final. Joe Tyers also loses his semi-final against :IRL Paul Hale. Both will take home bronze medals.

Hamza Mehmood lost his first fight against :ARM Baregham Harutyunyan but as it was a semi-final, he still comes away with a bronze medal.

Scott Richards won again - defeating :KAZ Daniyal Sabit whilst - and Ramtin Musah is through to the final after defeating :UKR Maksym Kofan.

Isaac Okoh got his first victory with a defeat of :UKR Pavlo Michkovskyi.

The Socikas tournament reached final stages to day and GB came away with a gold and two silvers to add to the two bronze medals won yesterday. Isaac Okoh took gold in the 86Kg class whilst Ramtin Musah and Scott Richards took silver in the 80Kg and 51Kg classes respectively.

I don't usually follow boxing so I could be wrong here, but in digging through recent results, I get the impression that the competition pool for GB boxers seems to be quite limited. It tends to be the same nations competing each time - so they're able to rack up bouts against Scandinavian and Baltic nations but that's about it. 

49 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The Socikas tournament reached final stages to day and GB came away with a gold and two silvers to add to the two bronze medals won yesterday. Isaac Okoh took gold in the 86Kg class whilst Ramtin Musah and Scott Richards took silver in the 80Kg and 51Kg classes respectively.

I don't usually follow boxing so I could be wrong here, but in digging through recent results, I get the impression that the competition pool for GB boxers seems to be quite limited. It tends to be the same nations competing each time - so they're able to rack up bouts against Scandinavian and Baltic nations but that's about it. 

Suspect it's connected to the World Boxing/IBA issue

29 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Interesting is putting i mildly - it's dynamite.

It would certainly cause waves on both sides of the Irish Sea :d but she would certainly be great addition to the British squad. Whitwell has had 2 attempts to qualify and hasn't won a single bout yet. 

I just can't see the logistics of the switch working in the timeframe we have left given the registration window for the 2nd Olympic qualifier closes on the 11th April.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

GB Boxing squad announced for next week's Gee Bee Tournament in Finland

Scott Richards - M51Kg

Cameron McKay - M63.5Kg

Kelsey Oakley - F50Kg

Lucy Kings-Wheatley - F60Kg

I think it is safe to say that competing next week will likely mean that these 4 are out of consideration for the final Olympic qualification tournament in Bangkok.

Joining them on the squad are Olympic qualified Rosie Eccles F66Kg and Cindy Ngamba W75Kg

Edited by Rafa Maciel

Fairly chunky GB squad competing in the World Boxing Boxing Cup in Colorado this week. 

W50Kg - Savannah Stubley has bye in round 1 and faces :USA Lexus Ramirez in QF

W50Kg - Demie-Jade Resztan has bye in round 1 and will face either :DEN Sofie Rosshuag or :USA Jennifer Lozano in QF

W54Kg - Charley Davison v. :USA Shera Mae Patricio

W57Kg - Elise Glynn has bye in round 1 and will face :USA Alyssa Mendoza in QF

W57Kg - Sameenah Toussaint has bye in round 1 and faces :ITA Amina Zidani

W60Kg - Shona Whitwell v. :CHN Wen Lu Yang

W60Kg - Gemma Richardson v. :GER Felicitas Ganglbauer

W75Kg - Chantelle Reid v. :AUS Emma Greentree

M57Kg - Owain Harris-Allan v. :DEN Frederik Jensen

M63.5Kg - Reese Lynch v. :GER Ousainou Hansen

M63.5Kg - Joe Tyers v. :AUS Jaggar Altoft

M63.5Kg - Patris Mughalzai v. :USA Jahmal Harvey

M71Kg - Harris Akbar v. :SWE Kevin Scott

M71Kg - Lewis Richardson v. :CZE Milos Barti

M80Kg - Taylor Bevan v. :CHN Tuohetaerbieke

M80Kg - Ramtin Musah v. :BRA Wanderley Pereira

M92+Kg - Delicious Orie v. :BRA Abner Teixeira

It's good to see a bit more variety in terms of the opponents that British fighters will be up against and they've some tough match-ups to look forward to. In the W54Kg class Shera Mae Patricio got to the quota fight at Busto Arsizio before losing out to Thailand's Jitpong so will give a good indication of where Davison is. Likewise, Elise Glynn's opponent - Alyssa Mendoza - was another fighter to fall short in the quota bout in Italy. 

On the men's side, both Musah and Orie's opponents are qualified for Paris. Orie has had mixed results of late so this is a good opportunity to test himself against another Paris bound fighter.

Irish media are reporting that Amy Broadhurt's switch to represent :GBR has taken a further step forward after receiving clearance from the IOC Boxing Taskforce. 

Broadhurst also travelled with the GB squad to Colorado last week and was part of their training camp. 

Registration for the final qualification tournament in Bangkok closes tomorrow, so we may have a squad announcement by the weekend.