website statistics

GB Athletics

1 hour ago, RussB said:

Based on what exactly? The only consistent performer is Kennedy. Behind her you have Moser (whose form closely aligns with Molly), Katie Moon who this year is most definitely out of form and then a bevy of McCartney / Murta etc who have hardly been setting the world alight. Now she was 5/4 favourite when markets opened i saw this week, which I agree should be lengthened and Kennedy I'd probably have as slight favourite, but to predict her not medalling in Paris is an over reaction.

Just a sort of feeling that she while she could win gold or medal she could also crash out at a low hight.

I don't think there's much danger of Molly crashing out at a low height. Even in her recent 'struggles' she's still be jumping over 4.65 pretty much every time, which is likely to be top 8 no matter what.

She's also been top 3 in every competition that she's taken part in this year, no matter the height she achieved. So on that basis alone, she should still be favoured for a medal.

An interesting afternoon to say the least.

It's the nature of the pole vault. There is a fair degree of variability in performance, but her medal chances would have to be a fair bit more than 50% if someone was to model it accurately.

The 800m was interesting, Reekie can essentially get towed along behind Keely and stay relatively close (which I wasn't expecting). Could it be possible the Brits go 1-2-3...Mary will have a big say but after watching that race today, maybe its not a complete impossibility. Great form for Bell as well going into the 1500m.

Definitely not out of the question for the 800m, although I guess we haven't yet really seen Phoebe have to deal with rounds. I look at her being the bonus package this time with no expectations (but obviously a lot of potential). Jemma and Keely should both be delighted with that and both should be harbouring very realistic expectations of a medal, possibly a 1-2 as you say.

Bell beating Laura so comfortably will have raised a few eyebrows, although I guess the question will be whether Georgia can do that in the longer distance as well. Either way both should be in the minor medal hunt.

The most fascinating thing for me is the choice of 400m relay teams. MHS obviously has earned the right to focus on the individual but will Charlie and Amber be thinking about their individual or will they commit to the mixed? Feels like the latter is the better medal chance but understandable if they are thinking individual first.

Jessie and Victoria both putting down SBs is helpful for the depth on the women's side as well. That team really is spoilt for choice.

3 hours ago, RussB said:

I believe so. Not sure if any nominated reserves were formally declared.

on the women’s side, a sub 50 for laviai and Amber, with Vicky going 50.76. A solid win for YMJ in a 51.16 rounds out the women’s form team for the relay in addition to Jessie and Lina.

I have no idea who they will “burden” with the mixed relay, although I think the decision to preserve Matt is becoming more justified. Would be interested if they still go with Amber Charlie and 2 others in a final (if they get there) to give them a shot at a medal

the official website has a named mixed team. It's...underwhelming.

image.png

Edited by mpjmcevoy

32 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

the official website has a named mixed team. It's...underwhelming.

image.png

Somewhat doesn’t quite feel like the world is going to be quaking in their boots with that lineup. 

on a broader point; I have no idea how “official” these entry lists are relays ( for swimming as well as athletics). We are seeing more and more but I’d hope they are acting as placeholders…

9 minutes ago, RussB said:

Somewhat doesn’t quite feel like the world is going to be quaking in their boots with that lineup. 

on a broader point; I have no idea how “official” these entry lists are relays ( for swimming as well as athletics). We are seeing more and more but I’d hope they are acting as placeholders…

Let's be honest, nobody picks a relay team nearly 2 weeks before the event.

We have debated the relays quite a bit on these forums, and as we approach the games I think the problem is regarding the mixed relay that Amber and Charlie both have a realistic prospect of individual finals AND a medal in the sole sex relays. At this point I’d be really disappointed if we don’t medal in both the men’s and women’s 4x4 relays, plus an individual medal for Matt.

is it really fair for them to jeopardise that Olympic outcome by adding another 1 or 2 races (for one of them due to the 1 sub rule) for the mixed? GB will have to make a call on it, but i feel the team is leaning into preserving everyone for indiv finals shots and the sole sex relays towards the end of the meet. I shouted loudly on here we should go all in for gold on the mixed relay, but I do appreciate the significant impact this could have On the rest of the programme