website statistics

GB Athletics

Great run by Toby in the heats, 44.7 leg with taking the baton in traffic. Why I’ve been banging the drum for him on here; think he is into contention for the number 3/4 GB ranking and is moving himself into a favourite for qualifying with the men’s relay squad (possibly the

mixed relay too). Charlie with a solid finishing leg of 44.9 from the front too.

will be tough to take down Belgium in the final though

Edited by RussB

5 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

i'm glad the BBC eventually got the rights to show the competiton but bloody hell the commentary is awful, one guy called alex? might as well have my dog commentating

Alex Seftel, Phil Minshull and Tim Hutchings are the main commentary guys.

It's technically just the Eurovision feed commentary, so not something to specifically blame the Beeb for.

For the most part I'm fine with them, and tend to prefer them to the Beeb's own commentary team (bar Crammy). It's a bit 'chummy' but it works most of the time. 

Kath Merry and Jaz Sawyers have both been excellent when they've shown up this week. The only redeeming feature of Jaz being injured is that we get her in commentary. She's a natural.

Edited by Epic Failure

4 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Alex Seftel, Phil Minshull and Tim Hutchings are the main commentary guys.

It's technically just the Eurovision feed commentary, so not something to specifically blame the Beeb for.

For the most part I'm fine with them, and tend to prefer them to the Beeb's own commentary team (bar Crammy). It's a bit 'chummy' but it works most of the time. 

Kath Merry and Jaz Sawyers have both been excellent when they've shown up this week. The only redeeming feature of Jaz being injured is that we get her in commentary. She's a natural.

yeah jaz has her career sorted for her after competition days, crammy i like and i'll add andrew cotter to that short list, just feel when alex is commentating he will tell you everything about the race apart from what is actually happening in it

1 minute ago, Olympicsnell said:

yeah jaz has her career sorted for her after competition days, crammy i like and i'll add andrew cotter to that short list, just feel when alex is commentating he will tell you everything about the race apart from what is actually happening in it

This morning was a perfect example with the GB 4x1 men crashing out. Neither of the comms noticed this for about 3 minutes until the results came up. 

that 10k couldn't have gone much worse for the GB ladies. :(

Eilesh clearly isn't over the injury despite hopes her body would hold up, Jess not in form this year and disappointing Megan couldn't go with the pace in the last 2 laps.

27 minutes ago, RussB said:

that 10k couldn't have gone much worse for the GB ladies. :(

Eilesh clearly isn't over the injury despite hopes her body would hold up, Jess not in form this year and disappointing Megan couldn't go with the pace in the last 2 laps.

I suspect Megan will be pretty happy with her bronze to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I suspect Megan will be pretty happy with her bronze to be honest.

Possibly. It's a medal at a major meet, but I think for followers of GB athletics, both her and Molly's bronzes will be viewed more as a missed opportunity to win a title.

1 minute ago, RussB said:

Possibly. It's a medal at a major meet, but I think for followers of GB athletics, both her and Molly's bronzes will be viewed more as a missed opportunity to win a title.

Molly, sure. She's established, a world finalist and won the WIC in Glasgow. Gold was always well within her grasp.

But Megan is still a relatively inexperienced athlete - that was only her 3rd ever 10000m. Also, 10000m is a race that lots of athletes don't do that often, so her place at the top of the rankings was always something of a false position. Van Es, for example, has run 10k on the roads quicker than Megan's track PB, but that isn't shown in the PBs at the start of the race. Megan did the right thing, she tried to run the kick out of the other two. She wasn't able to. It happens.