website statistics

GB Athletics

2 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

If it were an 800m race, I'd be more worried about Jemma. But she was never going to run 1500m in Paris. So it's a lesson learned and a bruised ego but nothing more.

This is precisely why I thought it was an odd decision to run the 1500m, but then again heinsight is wonderful and if she would have won I could have definitely accepted the mental boost was worth avoiding Keely.

I feel like she should still make the 800m final in Paris but British trials are not going to be easy. In particular with a certain Phoebe Gill to add to the mix of the 800 girls at Europeans.

Obviously form etc is never a guarantee, but Keely, Jemma and Phoebe are a cut about the rest right now - there's over a second gap between Phoebe and Erin Wallace in terms of SBs and you would expect Phoebe to take it out hard. If she does, only Jemma and Keely can go with her, unless Alex Bell gets her 2021 form back.

I'd be surprised if the Paris trio isn't Keely, Jemma and Phoebe, unless one of them is dramatically off form or suffers misfortune in Manchester.

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

Obviously form etc is never a guarantee, but Keely, Jemma and Phoebe are a cut about the rest right now - there's over a second gap between Phoebe and Erin Wallace in terms of SBs and you would expect Phoebe to take it out hard. If she does, only Jemma and Keely can go with her, unless Alex Bell gets her 2021 form back.

I'd be surprised if the Paris trio isn't Keely, Jemma and Phoebe, unless one of them is dramatically off form or suffers misfortune in Manchester.

It should be those 3. SHOULD. I just don't fully trust Reekie. I can see a scenario where she tries to go with a hard pace set by Phoebe and then Keely and falls away badly at the end.

1 minute ago, RussB said:

It should be those 3. SHOULD. I just don't fully trust Reekie. I can see a scenario where she tries to go with a hard pace set by Phoebe and then Keely and falls away badly at the end.

I mean, she's 4th in the last Olympics and 5th in the last WC (and is world #4 this year). It would be a huge shock if she missed Paris. 

Also, if Keely and Phoebe ended up 1 and 2 at trials, Jemma would absolutely get the 3rd slot. It would be bonkers to give it to anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean, she's 4th in the last Olympics and 5th in the last WC (and is world #4 this year). It would be a huge shock if she missed Paris. 

Also, if Keely and Phoebe ended up 1 and 2 at trials, Jemma would absolutely get the 3rd slot. It would be bonkers to give it to anyone else.

Oh of course she will get given the slot almost regardless of where she finishes. My point was more on how it impacts Gemma's build to the games. It's not a good mental buildup to Paris though if that happens on the back of the relative disastrous 1500 showing here. Should be a great race at trials. I'm hoping Keely can drag Phoebe to a PB.

1 hour ago, RussB said:

Oh of course she will get given the slot almost regardless of where she finishes. My point was more on how it impacts Gemma's build to the games. It's not a good mental buildup to Paris though if that happens on the back of the relative disastrous 1500 showing here. Should be a great race at trials. I'm hoping Keely can drag Phoebe to a PB.

The only way Reekie misses is if Keely doesn't run, and mishaps occur in the trials final. Phoebe Gill is a phenomanal talent, but she's still green, and her kick hasn't been tested (her raw speed is obviously astonishing). Frankly, if Keely got injured, Reekie would become a major favourite to medal behind Mu and Moraa. she won't be left at home unless they have to to accommodate Keely.

A mixed day, but mostly because of athletes expectations rather than actual poor performances.

Both Caudrey and Dobson would have fancied their chances of gold. But both still performed creditably - indeed Charlie's time is the 7th fastest by a European ever. He just was facing the 2nd fastest European performance of all time! Both he and Doom were world class and could easily get into medal contention in Paris if they can hold their form.

Molly will be more disappointed, but a good close competition might help her more in Paris than a procession could have. She was very close on the second attempt at 4.83m. She's still a solid medal threat in Paris.

In other news, good qualification by Neita, Lina N, Keely and Gourley, amongst others. Laviai lowered her PB again, which shows consistency and will hopefully help the relay in Paris. Anna Purchase and Mark Pearce performed about as well as can be expected.

6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The only way Reekie misses is if Keely doesn't run, and mishaps occur in the trials final. Phoebe Gill is a phenomanal talent, but she's still green, and her kick hasn't been tested (her raw speed is obviously astonishing). Frankly, if Keely got injured, Reekie would become a major favourite to medal behind Mu and Moraa. she won't be left at home unless they have to to accommodate Keely.

Only disagreement from me is I’m not sure I’d have her as preferred to Sekgodiso who has looked very good this year (if one of the big 3 misses the games).

Phoebe is green so racecraft, guile and kick off a surging / slow pace is a complete unknown. That’s what makes it exciting with such a young prospect. 

I'd have Jemma slightly ahead of Sekgodiso because Jemma has shown over several years that she can run 1:56-1:57 times, including 2 1:57s this year.

Sekgodiso has only run that 1:57 time once. She may well be capable of much more. But she hasn't backed that up, yet.