website statistics

Track Cycling 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Aussies think they have a two year veto.  However, I doubt this would apply universally, because in events like the Nations Cup sponsored teams are allowed to compete, even though such teams are often very thinly disguised - the Home Team's National U-23 team riding in the name of the team bike manufacturer or whatever. 

Matt Richardson: Cyclist could face two-year ineligibility period after GB switch, say AusCycling - BBC Sport

Having read the regulation in question (1.1.0033 and 0033 bis) the only argument I can see is that the Aussies are claiming this is his second change - that he 'changed' to Aussie from GBR in the first place. However, that change would have to have been when he was a minor if it happened at all, and special rules apply to minors anyway

I wonder if this is what the Assies are trying to rely on - if so, I don't think they've a chance in hell.

"- in case of a second change of nationality under letter c., the rider’s ineligibility for participation in World Championships and Continental Championships shall apply to the two subsequent editions of each event, starting from the confirmation of the change of nationality by the UCI."

On 8/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, Orangehair43 said:

It’s the nature of Track Cycling as well. He couldn’t move to Manchester but remain in the Australian Team. If it was a sport wheee he could train away but still easily compete it might have not happened. 

Cassandre Beaugrand the French triathlon gold medal winner is an example of the latter I guess. She's now living in the UK and training in Loughborough where her British boyfriend is based. She feels the new environment has improved her performances and French Triathlon don't appear to have any problem with it.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:15 AM, Joshi said:

Ellesse Andrews grandfather is Scottish and he got asked if there's a possibility Andrews could join GB (as a joke) thanks to the Richardson bombshell on NZ radio. He replies, "Like hell she is, I'm Scottish not British". Just to add the grandfather is from Glasgow, one area that is pro independence. Hahaha got to laugh.

Although every pro independence MP in Glasgow was defeated at the recent General Election.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:41 AM, Dkats said:

At the end of the day who knows what the situation will be like in 4 years time, there could be a new sprint star that is neither him or Lavreysen for all we know. 

The Australian team sprint squad was on a downward trend anyway because Glaetzer is clearly past his best which was easily seen at these games.  

GB cycling obviously saw the medals he won, his talent and birth country, got into contact with him and gave him a more lucrative deal. Track cycling is a bigger/more important sport there and their cyclists get more funding. 

Because if it was always his ‘dream’ why didn’t he make the move earlier on? He has been competing since 2019

And also can they please take Raygun aswell? I beg 

I presume that claim is based on the Australian method of acquiring talent from other countries down the years in various sports. I'm also assuming that's how Australia persuaded Adam Peaty's coach Mel Marshall to move down under following the Olympics.

It's certainly not what happened here as the whole process was initiated by the "defector".

23 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Cassandre Beaugrand the French triathlon gold medal winner is an example of the latter I guess. She's now living in the UK and training in Loughborough where her British boyfriend is based. She feels the new environment has improved her performances and French Triathlon don't appear to have any problem with it.

Fun fact, I've met Cassandre when she was competing at a minor triathlon earlier this year.

5 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Fun fact, I've met Cassandre when she was competing at a minor triathlon earlier this year.

Her English seems to be very good but I've no doubt you put your fluent French to good use! 😁

3 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Her English seems to be very good but I've no doubt you put your fluent French to good use! 😁

I actually got a 9 in French GCSE, but my entire french vocab knowledge disappeared from my head