website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

yes, it's almost sure that Bolelli (to double up with Vavassori) and Errani (to make a partnership with Paolini) will also be in the Italian team once the full Olympic lineup is finalized

and then, the mixed double should be Vavassori & Errani

Realistically only Sinner + doubles with Sinner in the pair can hopr on a medal. Sinner even has a chance for gold, because at the Olympics they play to win 2 sets and it will be easier to beat Alcaraz. I don't believe in the Errani-Paolini doubles - their physical conditions are too weak and there is always a Gauff or Sabalenka who will dominate them.

On 6/12/2024 at 8:22 PM, Pasolini said:

hahahaha i'm trying to think about it... 

I guess they wanted to make sure all the stars are in. 

Obviously done to preserve a bit of star power, plus reward previous Olympic heroes - given the two on the men's side are likely to be Murray and Wawrinka, I'd say it's a roaring success.

As for what other sports do such a thing, have you never seen the invite criteria for the golf majors (the nearest sport to tennis in individual global appeal)? Guys get into the Masters and the US Open who are barely able to walk. I'm half shocked they don't do the same for Olympic golf.

On 6/12/2024 at 8:42 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

Essentially, name branding will attract more people to watch. :p 

Actual golf majors do something very, very similar. Jack Nicklaus was limping his way around Augusta for decades after he was 'done'

And the thing is, every so often, miracles happen because gold is a precision, not an athletic aerobic, sport - for example, tom watson's last great run at the open Championship - or Goran's wild card miracle at wimbledon

39 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Realistically only Sinner + doubles with Sinner in the pair can hopr on a medal. Sinner even has a chance for gold, because at the Olympics they play to win 2 sets and it will be easier to beat Alcaraz. I don't believe in the Errani-Paolini doubles - their physical conditions are too weak and there is always a Gauff or Sabalenka who will dominate them.

I won't bet on Sinner's participation...should he reach the final stages in Wimbledon, he might well withdraw from the Olympic tournament

however, our best chance to me it's Vavassori/Bolelli in the men's doubles

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

I won't bet on Sinner's participation...should he reach the final stages in Wimbledon, he might well withdraw from the Olympic tournament

Today information appeared that Sinner is to play in Bastad after Wimbledon.

8 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Today information appeared that Sinner is to play in Bastad after Wimbledon.

yeas, he's listed (and the info is not exactly fresh, it was known since this Spring) in Bastad, but I believe he plays only when he's on the court ;)

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeas, he's listed (and the info is not exactly fresh, it was known since this Spring) in Bastad, but I believe he plays only when he's on the court ;)

I would prefer Sinner's Olympic gold in Paris to the current No. 1 ranking or even winning Wimbledon this year. Wimbledon is every year and the Olympic Games every 4 years.

Edited by copravolley

3 hours ago, phelps said:

He gave some declarations that he wants to go to the Olympics and win gold medal, I think he will def go, but maybe not so well-prepared. I bet his focus now is Wimbledon as well.

2 hours ago, copravolley said:

I would prefer Sinner's Olympic gold in Paris to the current No. 1 ranking or even winning Wimbledon this year. Wimbledon is every year and the Olympic Games every 4 years.

Well of course you would :d

But I don’t know where his priorities are. 

I thought this was interesting:

Jose Morgado's tweet states that both Osaka and Nishikori will use protected ranking to play the Olympics.

So the GS winner/OG champion spot would open up for maybe Raducanu or Kerber? Not sure who else could be taken into consideration.