website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

What a sad two days. I’m definitely sending positive vibes the way of our Serbian users.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, being against a very well-known Chinese government spy tool is being against free press? Interesting :p 

I believe since a short while, TikTok is (finally) being banned from the phones of government employees here, and I'm fairly sure military personell was already strictly forbidden from using it on military premises and devices (as they should).

I definitely understand the security risks around TikTok, especially when it comes to national defense and sensitive devices. My thought when I posted my comment was that some observers might consider banning an app outright to be a restriction of speech. The argument could be made that the government is making a decision on who is allowed to facilitate speech, and in what context. However, the national defense angle certainly complicates that argument.

I’ve never used the platform personally, so I don’t really have an established on opinion on the mater. I just find the whole situation interesting from a communications law standpoint.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
15 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Ah, so “press freedom” now means “the extent to which journalists are treated like royalty”

Yeah, I don’t think sharing/authoring a news article about a current event is asking to be “treated like royalty.” I’m pretty sure it’s a basic job function and an essential part of press freedom.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

So in their view Elon Musk’s RELAXATION of censorship laws on Twitter was a blow to press freedom because…..well, who knows.  

And they don’t realise that speech laws in :SCO & :ENG are completely different, that’s some ace reportering right there.

:USA has been in the 40s for the last few years. Musk’s takeover of Twitter has been a blow to press freedom on the platform though. He literally suspended multiple US reporters from the platform after they reported on all the drama surrounding that account that tracked his flights. I’d imagine my government’s stance on TikTok might rub some observers the wrong way as well.

:GBR is likely counted as one country since that’s how presents itself internationally. I think most rankings like this tend to count to the UK as a monolith, rather than as separate entities. 

Edited by Olympian1010

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

2023 World Press Freedom Index has been released. 

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

Not really sharing this one for the political content, but more the storytelling. A very well written article that’s an easy read. I figure some of our Danish users might be interested in this one.

Personally, I love visiting Solvang (so many good bakeries, sights, and boutique shops), so seeing yet another community tear itself apart over culture clashes is sad :(

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Make that three countries rockets have flown towards this week…

Posted

Tennessee State House voted to expel two members who joined gun control protests in the (state) capital last week. A shining moment for democracy :facepalm:

Posted

I know this is a touchy subject on Totallympics, but I think we can all appreciate the Slovakia joke :p

Q: How does NATO help the U.S.? 
A: Americans can sleep well at night knowing Slovakia is watching over them.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I think it has more to do with people being absolute maniacs on them. I understand the use for them, but people ride them way too fast and reckless in areas with a high density of pedestrians.

They’re relatively popular in Southern California, but there’s definitely contrasting opinions on them as well.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Looks like the party's over for Sanna Marin. Probably needed more of those party clips after all :p

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65157357

She came across as very relatable and quite genuine (at least to me). It was nice to have youthful, progressive leader on the world stage. 

It looks like pretty damn close battle to form a government for either of the three major parties.

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted

Mammoth Mountain, known to the forum as a frequent host of the freestyle ski/snowboarding World Cup, recently passed 700 inches of snowfall for the season. I know imperial measurements aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, so that’s just over 17.75 meters of snow. They will also begin April with a base depth over 7 meters.

It’s been a truly historic snow season in California. Records being shattered all over the state, and snow falling in some unusual places along the coast and deserts. Much of the state has gone from extreme drought to relatively normal conditions in just a few months. It’s been a wild ride, and some more mild, if not cold by Southern California standards, temperatures are expected to start off April.

Posted

“We’re not going to fix it.” What a beautiful attitude from an elected official (sarcasm). He should make that his campaign slogan in 2024. 

I guess you have to appreciate the honestly of his political agenda :facepalm: 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Shooting at a private school in Tennessee :(

We’ve accepted this as the supposed price for “freedom,” so it’s honestly hard to feel anything but numb when these events happen.

Some states are happy to ban books and loosen child labor laws, so hard to be shocked we’re willing to sacrifice a few to gun violence :dunno:

Posted

:ISR continues to plummet into the depths of an uncertain democratic future…

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

A little late to the party here, but the United States held its first ever national selection competition for TISC. A total of 14 songs were shortlisted for selection, with each jury member asked to vote for their favorites Eurovision style (1st - 12, 2nd - 10, 3rd - 8, 4th - 7, 5th - 6, etc.). We came close to selecting our first “big name” artist in a long while, but ultimately Judah & The Lion won.

Here is the final ranking…

Star-Spangled Selection - Results:

1. Judah & the Lion - scream! (27)

2. Kendrick Lamar - Father Time (23)

3. Mike Posner - I’m Not Dead Yet (22)

4. Grant Knoche - WISH U WERE DEAD (15)

5. Zach Bryan - Something In The Orange (15)

6. D’LOURDES - East Coast (12)

7. Noah Floersch - Doctor, Doctor (11)

8. Stela Cole - Rhapsody In Pink (11)

9. Shayfer James & Will Wood - Ferryman (11)

10. The Blasting Company - Dizzy in Sunlight (9)

11. Maren Morris - Circles Around This Town (7)

12. Philip Labes - aftershocks (4)

13. Sleeping At Last - Mother (4)

14. Anna Bates - Last Man On Earth (3)

Here is a playlist of all the songs:

Feel free to provide feedback, or ask questions if you have any :d