website statistics

I really feel like we will start hearing Eric Garcetti say "l.a Is prepared to host if Tokyo cant" and offer like a swap to change 2028 to Tokyo.  And to be honest he is kinda right.  Everything is pretty much ready.  At least with venue existence.   Though logistically it will be a nightmare.  

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted
1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m not super worried yet, there’s still a few months for things to play out, but I’m concerned about losing too much should the games be cancelled. Cancellation would really harm the Japanese economy I’d imagine. 

Cancellation will harm the olympics and might cause an irreversible damage, especially with groups like nolympicsla or counterparts in paris looking for a way out

Posted

11 hours ago, phelps said:

always on the Tokyo Olympics...

according to the latest rumors reported by the Italian press, FINA has stated that they do not have anything against the Swimming (semis and) Finals being held in the morning, like it happened in Beijing in 2008...

the official announcement won't be made until September (at least), but it's basically sure that, with the green lights given by the Aquatics World Federation, the Japanese organizers will make the greedy and powerful NBC happy and we're going to relive the (awful) Beijing experience...:cry::facepalm::wall:

Hey i enjoyed it being at 8PM :) off course i'm a minority, but still it's gonna be awesome

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

No, they're not, even if many people like to prented they're.

There is no official venue designed for any of this sport in Paris plan so far.

Well i know that as far as LA2028 goes they were talking about baseball/softball in dodger stadium/angel stadium, but i think they just really wanted to say that to try to convince mlb to participate to convince ioc to keep baseball in the program

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

I can't find an official document for baseball/softball but the Italian Federation has just published an article with all details, saying it is now approved by IOC: http://www.fibs.it/it/news/nazionali-baseball/43221-tokyo-2020,-il-sistema-di-qualificazione.html

Summary:

Softball

Japan

World Champs (August 2018) - 1 team

American Qualification Tournament - 2 teams

Asian/Oceanian QT - 1 team

European/African QT - 1 team

Baseball

Japan

Premier 12 in November 2019 - best team from America and best team from Asia/Oceania

American QT - 1 team

European/African QT - 1 team

Final QT - 1 team

So basically 2 American teams? that will be very tough, between USA, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (i know that it wont be MLB players, but still have talent)

Posted

I dont understand why ioc keeps going back to baseball yet almost took off wrestling.  Baseball is popular in a small part of the world.  The americas and japan pretty much.  Will they want american football next?    Better to make an Olympic Formula 1 race.   Or figure out a way to make the soccer tournament mean something!

Posted
Just now, carivan said:

The idea is only stopping for a week and nix the asg (that almost everyone hates, anyway) for that season.

The Idea is good, nothing will happen if the world series will be mid november one year. I'm all for it, but i'm just having a very hard time actually seeing it happening.

Would love to see top players from USA, Japan, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Panama, South Korea,Canada,Venezuela compete on an olympic level and not just triple a players who will eventually become stars but not when they play in the olympics.

Posted
2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The only good thing about Karate is that it will give medals to smaller nations.

Baseball in the current conditions (no MLB, only 6 teams) is worthless. Skateboarding is ridiculous. Surf i'm not a fan of either.

MLB will NEVER let players go, this sport is way more popular in the US then hockey. People will simply not accept stopping the season for a month and it will really screw up the scheduling since they play every day. I would LOVE to see it happening, but it wont, not this time. MAYBE if L.A wins the 2024 olympics , MAYBE

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• With past precedence, a sport not in thr top 2 tiers will likely find it hard to add another discipline without dropping event. For ex. Canoeing in Paris.
    • I'm sure Kata is very historically meaningful, but it's not sport. Lots of dancing is very ritualised too. Still not sport.
    • Ok but the kata is not dancing, are a sequence of pre-established movements which have centuries and is one of the pillars of most martials arts, i cant simply equalize with an street dancing. In kata, i watch a martialist looking for make perfection, in breakdancing i watch a dancer trying to make the best choreography for a judge.
    • Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?