website statistics
Biathlon IBU World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted
8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, he had no chance to win the overall anyway. Will Norway bring back Johannes Dale in his place?

8 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Either Dale or promote the other Andersen brother.

The Norwegian team has selected Sverre Dahlen Aspenes for Kontiolahti.

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2020 - 2021
Posted

Anton Babikov and three members of the Russian team have been tested positve for COVID-19. The whole Russian team has now been isolated and await answer from the Finnish officials about the possibility for some Russian biathletes to compete this weekend and next week. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Lesser in but Schempp out.  Maybe the rumor that he has or was exposed to someone who has/had COVID is correct.

I read today in a German media that the German team had an internal qualification race where Lesser performed very well which secured him a spot on the team. Schempp on the hand isn't on a level yet to compete in the WC, according to the German National Coach, Marc Kirchner.

https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/biathlon/lesser-sprint-auf-weltcupzug-auf-schempp-nicht-dabei100.html 

Posted

German Team for the Season Opening + WC 1

Women: 

- Denise Herrmann 

- Janina Hettich

- Vanessa Hinz 

- Maren Hammerschmidt 

- Franziska Preuß 

- Sophia Schneider (Sprint, Season Opening)

- Anna Weidel (Individual, Season Opening)

Men:

- Benedikt Doll

- Lucas Fratzscher 

- Philipp Horn 
- Johannes Kühn 
- Erik Lesser 
- Arnd Peiffer 
- Roman Rees 

https://www.deutscherskiverband.de/detail_news_de,1069,1370544,detail.html

58 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Anyone know if the Norwegian rollerski/biathlon race that usually happens in August is going to happen?  I can not remember the name to look it up.

It seems it will go ahead as planned. Of course without spectators. 

https://skiskyting.no/nyheter/her-er-blink20-lista/ (In Norwegian)

The program will be as followed (The exact time schedule will be released soon):

Friday, August 7, Sandnes Sparebank Arena, Melsheia

- Shooting duel/Shoot-off (Don't know exactly what that means?)

- Prologue Supersprint, Men and Women

- Supersprint, Women

- Supersprint, Men

Saturday, August 8, Sandnes Sparebank Arena, Melsheia

- Mass Start, Women

- Mass Start, Men

Current start lists: 

Påmelding-skiskyting-Blink20-endelig.xlsx

6 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Yup, that's why I'm not particularly trusting Wikipedia, unless Stenersen himself updated that page :p

I have checked his Instagram and he hasn't posted anything about his retirement. I have no idea why his Wiki says something about retirement? :d

https://www.instagram.com/torsteinstenersen/?hl=da

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now I'm curious. I've thrown out a virtual fishing line, let's see if we catch ourselves an answer :p 

I can only find this about him.

https://www.svt.se/sport/skidskytte/torstein-stenersen-petadurlandslaget

Nothing about him retiring from biathlon. 

Also, was this the article you found @Werloc?

The :SWE A-National Team for the 2020/2021-season has been announced. 

https://svensktskidskytte.com/nyheter/landslagstrupper?fbclid=IwAR3KYG6x9Dni1fXvplEyroDWwvnmts5HRfxPCb8C-MzGRNTAAKLqY0YQeX8

Women:

Hanna Oeberg 
Anna Magnusson
Elvira Oeberg 
Mona Brorsson 
Johanna Skottheim 
Linn Persson 
Stina Nilsson 

Men:

Peppe Femling 
Jesper Nelin 
Martin Ponsiluoma 
Sebastian Samuelsson
Malte Stefansson 

I would presume Hanna Oeberg, Elvira Oeberg, Mona Brorsson, Linn Persson are safe for most of the WCs. Anna Magnusson, Johanna Skottheim, Stina Nilsson will most likely fight for the last two WC-spots. I think Skottheim will get the chance in most of the WCs this season. Nilsson is still a wildcard, but she will most likely get her WC-debut this season. Magnusson will probably have more races in the IBU-Cup this season. 

A bit of a suprise to see Torstein Stenersen is no longer part of the A-National Team. Not that he produced any great results in the WC last season. But leaving him out of the team entirely, comes as a suprise to me. Stefansson is still young and did not show the best results in the IBU-Cup last season. However, I have read the Swedish coaches see great potential in him hence why he has been included in the A-National Team already. Sweden has five WC-spots next season. I think they will only use four spots in most of the WCs in the upcoming season. Stefansson will get his chance. I'm not sure if Stenersen will get a few WCs despite being left out the team. 

Just now, Belle said:

The Swedish Cross-Country Star Stina Nilsson will compete in Biathlon instead for Cross-country

You were quicker than me, @Belle:p

I was just in the middle of posting the same. But once again, I was too slow.

I'm really looking forward to see what she can achieve in biathlon. :) 

To those who want more information about it, you can check it here:

https://www.svt.se/sport/langdskidor/stina-nilsson-skidskytte

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2019 - 2020
Posted (edited)

On a press conference, the Finnish Government has recommended all public events with more than 500 spectators should be cancelled until the end of May. Notice, it's only a recommendation! However, this could affect the WC stage in Kontiolahti. 

Edited by Wumo

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

And I’ve stuck my crystal dick into the vagina of truth, but that doesn’t mean that I all-of-sudden know untested future outcomes.

Well, not really a sentence you want to read before going to bed. I'm not sure how this will affect my sleep to be honest? :lol:

Posted

Me reading this thread:

bill hader popcorn GIF

I wonder how we came from everybody was in favour of having more Individuals, to some saying "your generation has destroyed all traditions in winter sports" or "your generation's greatest contribution was doped athletes"? :lol:

The internet is indeed a fascinating place...

Posted

This is how I wished a WC calendar looked like for individual events:

Wish:

Individual/Distance - 6 in non-Olympic years, 5 in an Olympic year

Sprint - 8 

Pursuit - 5

Mass Start - 5

What would be okay:

Individual/Distance - 5 in non-Olympic years, 4 in an Olympic year

Sprint - 9

Pursuit - 5

Mass Start - 5

I'm not against implementing some Super Sprints and Mass Starts 60 in the WC. Controversially, I would replace all Men's and Women's Relays with Mixed Relays and Single Mixed Relays. The reason why is to increase the chance for small/upcoming nations to start a relay team. Also, some of the bigger nations, like Norway and Germany, could rest some of their best biathletes and give a chance to other biathletes. I know the last proposal will probably make me very unpopular among some of you. I'm also aware with the current system it's not easy for small/upcoming nations to have two men or two women in the WC, or for that matter, one man or one woman. However, having four men or women are likely a bit harder to achieve. 

22 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Some of the bigger named junior men did not have the best of days.  Hartweg (SUI) 15th,  Cisar (SLO) 16th, and Bourgeois Republic (FRA) 65th.  Only one clean shoot on the day, and it went to Barchewitz of GER who won.  As an aside, does anyone know why Slettemark did not start Saurday's Youth Individual?

The Greenlandic Biathlon Federation writes in a press release:

"Ukaleq has been ill and without training since December 20. After exactly one month's illness, Ukaleq Slettemark has recovered so much that she has started training again. It has been the worst possible preparation for the Youth WCHs. The decision is that Ukaleq goes to the championships without having any expectations of top results. She will most likely not start in the first competition, the individual on Sunday, January 26".

The information is from this article:

https://sermitsiaq.ag/node/218882

Posted

A lot of changes in the :SWE team for this week's WC in Pokljuka:

Women:

Hanna Oeberg
Anna Magnusson
Johanna Skottheim
Anna Hedstroem
Emma Nilsson
Elisabeth Hoegberg

Men:

Jesper Nelin
Torstein Stenersen
Peppe Femling
Oskar Brandt
Gabriel Stegmayr

Mona Brorsson, Elvira Oeberg, Linn Persson, Martin Ponsiluoma and Sebastian Samuelsson are all in Ostersund to train towards the WCHs.

Posted

It has been confirmed Simon Schempp will not be part of the German team for the upcoming WCH in Antholz-Anterselva. The German national coach, Mark Kirchner, states Schmepp's lack of speed and fitness level are the reasons behind the decision. As a consequence of his poor fitness level, Schempp will no longer be part of the World Cup team. Kirchner says the next goal for Schempp is the European Championships in Otepää in the end of February. 

This must be a really heartbreaking decision for Schempp. Some of his best WC results have been in Antholz-Anterselva. He has won 5 of his 12 WC victories there. 

There are also some news about Erik Lesser. Lesser will be part of the German team for the upcoming World Cup in Pokljuka. This will be his last chance to convince the German coaches to select him for the World Championships. 

https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/biathlon/wm-aus-fuer-schempp-lesser-hofft-100.html

(This may be in the wrong thread, but there are something related to the World cup)

Posted

:GER German team for Ruhpolding:

A couple of changes from last week's World Cup in Oberhof. Preuss is back after illness and Horchler is back after some stages in the IBU Cup. They replace Deigentesch and Hildebrand who are send to the IBU Cup. 

After some good results in the IBU Cup, Nawrath and Rees get the chance this week in Ruhpolding. They will replace Fratzscher and Schempp. Schmepp has shown a lack of speed in the recent races, so he will focus on training in the next weeks. He may be back for Pokljuka, but this is not certain. Fratzscher will be back in the IBU Cup. 

Women:

Maren Hammerschmidt

Denise Herrmann

Janina Hettich

Vanessa Hinz

Karolin Horchler

Franziska Preuss

Men:

Benedikt Doll

Philipp Horn

Johannes Kuehn

Philipp Nawrath