website statistics
vor 6 Minuten schrieb Gianlu33:

Yeah, you know the truth. Help us :lol: It would be interessing if Germany if Germany were strong in athletics...

Sorry? ".. if Germany if Germany ... ", what are you trying to say?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor einer Stunde schrieb heywoodu:

That medal for Hungary was already one of the highlights of the world championships :cheer:

Luckily I care about swimming, if I didn't care about it obviously I would not even have been in this thread :p 

Who said that you are not interested in swimming? Do you have a personality disorder or do i have a personality disorder and forgot that you are my second account?

So please help me, are you back to not quoting me again? Its so confusing, you seem to change your mind every couple of weeks ...

http://totallympics.com/index.php?/topic/389-athletics-2017-discussion-thread/&page=18

http://totallympics.com/index.php?/topic/578-athletics-iaaf-under-18-world-championships-2017/&page=5

At least be consistent, your behavior gives me the impression that you are a very confused person. I get that its hard to not quote someone, if you spend 24/7 on this website, but i just think it would be nice if you would bring me up to speed, so that i know whether i should even bother to quote you or if i shouldnt wait for an answer ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 53 Minuten schrieb lapaj:

I don't know. Please open my eyes. Did Hungary win too many medals? What about Gyurta Dániel? An Olympic Champion but here he is 26. Cseh László? 4xOlimpic silver medalist. Here? 11. Women's 4x100 relay? 9. Etc. Hungary, the host won a medal and, of course they used doping.

During the last Olympic many of our Olympians were interviewed. All of them waited this WC because it is in Hungary. With it's special atmosphere!

Hungary is a very successful nation in a lot of sports. So a bronze almost 2 sec from the winner is a sweet surprise to me.

Hosszú will win medals. Pleas don't see her races!

Impossible to open your eyes, you refuse to see the truth. Impossible to win medals in swimming without doping, add the fact that hungarian leadership doesnt seem to do anything to catch dopers and you get those results. Its down to who dopes better/is controlled less by their NADA, most western countries stand no chance, we see the same in athletics. People from poor countries, mainly from eastern europe and africa, have nothing to lose by doping, so its a no-brainer. Just give me one reason why a hungarian swimmer shouldnt dope? Your NADA doesnt want to catch you, FINA does nothing to catch you and you can reach a standard of living you otherwise could never reach, if performances are too good to be true (Milak, Hosszu, Kenderesi), than they normally arent "true". The problem is that federations have absolutely no interest in catching dopers, because by doing so they destroy their own product and most countries have absolutely no interest in financing an independet organization like WADA, so nothing will ever change. I would say "Just allow doping", but then nothing would really change, because everyone would still claim that they are clean, so we still wouldnt know for sure. I just hope that most parents are smart enough to tell their kids to not pursue a professional career in swimming or athletics, because you either will never become world class or you will ruin your health forever.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb intoronto:

Oleksiak is not going to win a medal here. She does not look like she is in form. 

She has been out with injuries for more than 2 months, no surprise to see her off her best, she should still win some golds at the junior world championships. Lets be honest, if you are olympic champion, a world title doesnt do much for you. I am sure she will be at her best in 2020, fighting for the gold in the 100 free and the 100 fly (against Ikee).

Home world championships for Hungary, they have always been shit in the 4x100 free relay and now they suddenly win a medal, cant say that i am surprised though, we all know what Hungary is doing ... just sad. This again reminds me why i stopped caring about swimming more than a year ago:

1) Obvious doping

2) Predictable huge PBs by swimmers from certain countries at every major competition

3) German swimmers are shit

4) Swimming is just boring to watch, because you cant see much and too many races are just not close enough to be exciting.

Although this wont change anything about my lack of interest for this sport, i would hope that FINA introduces the following 2 changes:

1) "Glass pools", were you can film everything from the side (like a giant aqaurium) and from below, that way you could see a lot more from the swimmers instead of just looking at them from the top.

2) Get rid of 800/1500 m and instead introduce 50 m fly/back/breast at the olympics. Its just boring to see Ledecky winning every race by multiple body lengths. If you dont want the doping to get too obvious, you should find a way to make races closer.

The fact that no swimming outside of the world championships, olympics games and maybe european championships is broadcasted live just shows how unpopular swimming is. Even the world cups in rowing/canoeing are broadcasted in many countries ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Overall the level in womens 400 free was pretty bad, but its nice to see younger girls performaning at their best here. I think either Li or Titmus will win a medal. Weird to not see girls like Kapas, Carlin, Friis or Ashwood in this.

vor einer Stunde schrieb dareza:

but no sf for Scozzoli and Watanabe :yikes:

I would say more surprisingly no semifinal for Christian vom Lehn, who swam 59.47 at the german championships, but he is a german swimmer, so i guess this shouldnt surprise anyone ... ?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gianlu33:

Belmonte Garcia's career is finished for me, she wasn't competitive since 1-2 years :cry: 

Didnt she win the gold medal in the 200 fly in Rio, which was less than a year ago?

She might be less versatile now (no medal chances in the 400/800 free and probably not even in the 400 IM), but i still wouldnt say that this fits the definition of a finished career ... ?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gianlu33:

I read that he is in the ncaa cicrcuits and he was trained by american staff :d 

He trained in Germany until the 2016 olympics and last year set his PB of 3:46.88 at the european championships in London, then he decided to go to college, so he dropped almost 3 seconds in about one year, i think there is more to come and at this point he should be considered a favorite for a medal and maybe even for gold. I always thought that he is better at 1500 m, so maybe he can go sub 14:50 there. The fact that he went from 3:46.88 to 3:44.18 by moving from Germany to the US shows how shit german swimming is, i think german swimming should just shut down all their training facilities and instead send all swimmers to the US. Today 4 german swimmers competed, 3 of them were miles off their PB, the third one (Schmidtke) was very close to her PB and easily reached the semifinal ... guess what, she trains in the US all year long. :wall:

Swimming 2017 Discussion Thread
Posted

The level of competition at the european junior championships is clearly hurt by the absence of ALL german talents and the top british talents. Personally i am happy that the german swimming federation decided to focus on world junior championships, although it will be much tougher to win medals there, especially considering some of the crazy times coming out of the US once again. I think the highlights of the first day were womens 200 butterfly and womens 800 free, most other times were far from spectacular.

US trials are always funny to watch, suddenly you have athletes like Zachary Appel, Dakota Luther or Mallory Comerford who completely destroy their PB out of nowhere. I just wish that only once a single german swimmer would show an improvement like that ... it can't be that hard, considering that there are at least half a dozen american swimmers doing it every year ... :p

Posted

German swimmers who were nominated for Rio (Koch will decide whether he will compete after the meeting in Rome this weekend):

Marco Koch (200 breast)

Christian vom Lehn (100 breast, medley relay)

Marius Kusch (100 fly, medley relay)

Marek Ulrich (100 back, medley relay)

Damian Wierling (50 free, medley relay + maybe 100 free)

Poul Zellmann (400 free)

Florian Wellbrock (1500 free)

Jacob Heidtmann (400 IM)

Franziska Hentke (200 fly)

Aliena Schmidtke (100 fly)

Lisa Graf (200 back)

Celine Rieder (800 free)

I really like the fact that Schmidtke got rewarded for her recent improvements, but i dont get why Sarah Köhler and Christian Diener, who both reached the final in Rio, werent nominated. Koch, Heidtmann and Schmidtke got nominated despite missing the qualification standards. All of them, expect for Ulrich, Zellmann, Rieder and Schmidtke should be able to reach the final. Heintz should definitely win a medal, Hentke as well, if she finally manages to perform at her best at a global championships. Graf and Koch might have an outside chance for a medal.

Germany will send a pretty big team to the junior world championships, but no team will be send to the junior european championships.

Posted
vor 22 Stunden schrieb dareza:

thanks for this site :):yes

Yes, swimming is one of my favorite sport and every week I follow some meeting. This week Mare Nostrum in Monaco.

A huge difference between Crevar and other European girls on 400IM :facepalm:I don't understand how. Last year she had good strong opponents, but this time probably will win this without problem. On WJC probably fight with girls from Japan.

It certainly looks as if this is a weaker generation of 400 IM talents, especially from Europe, but:

1) I am sure that some japanese/chinese/canadian/american girls will swim sub 4:40 at the junior world championships, so Crevar will have to perform at her very best if she wants to win a medal.

2) I dont think that a russian girl will come out of nowhere at the european junior championships, so Crevar could very well be the favorite, but i think some british or italian girls will be able to swim close to 4:40 by then + dont forget about Julia Mrozinski (4:42 last year, lets see what she can do at the german nationals this week).

3) Womens 400 IM in general seems to be one of the weaker events + the junior world record doesnt seem as crazy fast as some of the other junior world records + the winning times at junior world championships/youth olympics are normally not that fast either + Russia/China (who often have crazy talents), are normally not that good in womens 200/400 IM, which is certainly one of the reasons why it is easier to win a medal at junior level in this event, compared to some other events (for example womens 100 fly).

4) If you only look at the girls who are 1 year older (born in 1999), then you find a couple of very fast times:

4:36.60 for Harvey from Canada

4:37.25 for Wood from GB

So Crevar will need to drop a lot of time during the rest of the year and the beginning of next year, if she wants to keep up with those girls.

If you change the date range to 1/1/2016 to 12/31/2017, you can see that some girls born in 2000 had some really fast times last year and probably just didnt taper so far this year, so you can expect some of them to still improve this year (here are all the girls born in 2000, who had a time of sub 4:43 last year and might improve their times later on this year):

Runa Imai: 4:41.52

Anna Pirovano: 4:42.06

Julia Mrozinski: 4:42.39

Ajna Kesely: 4:42.53

I think Kesely will focus on 200/400 + maybe 800 free and i am not optimistic about Mrozinski, but i am pretty sure that at least one out of Pirovano/Imai will swim sub 4:40 later on this year.

Is Crevar still 16 years old or did she already turn 17? If she is still 16, she would be 8th in the american all-time ranking for 15/16 year olds and if she already turned 17, she would be 18th in the american all-time ranking for 17/18 year olds.

By the way: It is really fun to "play" with the junior world rankings and for example look at the world rankings only for girls born in 2002 or later.

Posted

German 200/400 free "star" Florian Vogel announced his retirement on Friday, at the age of 22 ...

Sadly i have to say that you have to be pretty crazy to train multiple hours a day as a german swimmer, because you will have a clear disadvantage in your career later on and you basically don't earn anything, so this is probably a smart decision, but a huge blow for german swimming, considering that he was by far the best german 200/400 free swimmer. Now the situation in men's 200/400 free seems to be pretty hopeless without Vogel and Biedermann.

Posted
vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

Kesely on 200 yes, but I don't think that Andreson and Gose can beat her.

You seem to be one of the very few users here who are interested in swimming outside of world championships/olympics, so you might have a use for it:

https://www.usaswimming.org/Home/times/data-hub

(Here you can find world rankings by age/date of birth)

For example Steenbergen is currently 5th in the 50 free world rankings of all girls born in 2000 or later (0.03 behind Anderson), 3rd in the 100 free (only behind Ikee and Oleksiak) and 5th in the 200 free (behind Ikee and 3 chinese girls, but Ruck and Oleksiak should also be able to go faster).

BTW: Have a look at the womens 100 free world rankings for girls born in 2000 or later ... the depth of the canadian girls is crazy (53.84 Oleksiak, 54.62 Sanchez, 54.97 Smith, 55.03 Ruck), if they all compete at the junior world championships, then they should absolutely destroy the junior world record in the 400 free relay and i think only Canada might be able to challenge Australia in 2020.

I probably agree about Anderson beating her in the 100 free, but the 50 free might be a different story and Gose improved her PB to 1:59.12 this year without even having tapered, so you would expect that she is able to go a lot faster at the german nationals next week, hopefully at least sub 1:58 (which would be a great time for a 14 year old). Last year she dropped 1.6s at the german nationals.

Posted
vor 3 Stunden schrieb dareza:

I guess that Marrit Steenbergen will participate at EJC before this world championship. She is huge favorite in 50,100 and 200. Nyls Korstanje is also big talent.

How is she the huge favorite? Did Kesely decide to not compete? And what about Anderson (100 free) and Gose (200 free)?

Posted (edited)
vor 22 Minuten schrieb dareza:

About the mens 200 IM results:

Here are the live results from the australian swimming championships:

http://liveresults.swimming.org.au/SAL/2017OPEN/

Mens 200 IM prelims took place in session 5, the fastest time was 2:02.04 by Travis Mahoney.

Mens 200 IM finals took place in session 6, the fastest time was 1:59.24 by Clyde Lewis.

I think Morgan and Irvine didnt even compete + the australian record is 1:56.69 by Leith Brodie from 2009 ...

I used to look up the world rankings at the FINA website too, but in my opinion they are very slow to update their rankings and make a lot of mistakes. A while back i for example saw 4 or 5 japanese girls (i never heard of) being at the top of the world ranking in the 400 IM, with times that were faster than the current world record ... i think they mix up short course and long course times quite often.

Nowadays i take the world rankings from "Swimswam":

https://swimswam.com/

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted
vor 22 Stunden schrieb dareza:

World Championship this year will be crazy. top 3 so far in Olympic disciplines:

Freestyle

50m: 1. Sjostrom 23.83 2. Blume 24.14 3. Kromowidjojo 24.34

50m: 1. Morozov 21.44 2. McEvoy 21.55 3. Sedov 21.74

100m: 1. Sjostrom 52.54 2. C. Campbell 52.78 3. B. Campbell 52.85

100m: 1. McEvoy 47.91 2. Adrian 48.18 3. Chalmers 48.20

200m: 1. Coleman 1:55.64 2. McKeon 1:55.68 3. Pellegrini 1:55.94

200m: 1. Sun 1:44.91 2. Detti 1:46.38 2. Wang 1:46. 57

400m: 1. Ledecky 4:01.01 2. Li 4:02.52 3. Titmus 4:04.82

400m: 1. Sun 3:42.16 2. Detti 3:42.36 3. Horton 3:44.18

800m: 1. Ledecki 8:15.44 2. Titmus 8:23.08 3. Quadarella 8:25.08

1500m: 1. Paltrinieri 14:37.08 2. Detti 14:48.21 3. Horton 14:51.21

Backstroke

100m: 1. Masse 58.21 2. Seebohm 58.62 3. Fu 58.72

100m: 1. Xu 51.86 2. Rylov 53.13 2. Grevers 53.31

200m: 1. Seebohm 2:07.03 2. Ustinova 2:07.23 and Masse 2:07.23

200m: 1. Rylov 1:53.81 2. Xu 1:54.03 3. Kolesnikov 1:55.49

Breaststroke

100m: 1. Efimova 1:05.90 2. Johansson 1:06.30 3. Meili 1:06.37

100m: 1. Peaty 58.86 2. Yan 58.92 3. Koseki 59.26

200m: 1. Efimova 2:21.35 2. McKeown 2:23.58 3. Tutton 2:23.89

200m: 1. Watanabe 2:06.67 2. Persson 2:07.85 3. Chupkov 2:08.03

Butterfly

100m: 1. Sjostrom 56.26 2. Ikee 56.89 2. McKeon 57.27

100m: 1. le Clos 51.29 2. Li 51.34 3. Morgan 51.81

200m: 1. Hasegawa 2:02.96 2. Hentke 2:06.84 3. Makino 2:06.92

200m: 1. Sakai 1:53.71 2. Seto 1:54.28 3. le Clos 1:55.00

IM

200m: 1. Pickrem 2:09.56 2. Ohhashi 2:09.96 3. Ikee 2:09.98

200m: 1. Morgan 1:55.70 2. Hagino 1:56.01 3. Irvine 1:56.05

400m: 1. Ohhashi 4:31.42 2. Belmonte Garcia 4:35.01 3. Pickrem 4:35.43

400m: 1. Verraszto 4:10.01 2. Seto 4:10.22 3. Hagino 4:10.45

-------------------------------------

Really great times for this period.

Good work compling that list, my friend, but i have a few questions:

Mens 200 IM: When did Morgan and Irvine swim those times? According to my list it should be 1) Hagino 1:56.01 2) Shun 1:56.16 3) Seto 1:56.90

Womens 400 IM: ... 3) Teramura 4:35.20

Womens 100 fly: ... 3) Chimrova 57.17

Mens 200 breast: ... 2) Koseki 2:0718 3) Persson 2:07.85

Womens 200 breast: ... 2) Asaba 2:23.53 3) McKeown 2:53.58

Womens 100 breast: ... 1) Aoki 1:05.29 2) Efimova 1:05.90 3) Makino 1:06.05

Mens 50 free: ... 3) Sedov/Proud 21.74

Womens 800 free: ... 2) Li 8:20.89 3) Titmus 8:23.08

By the way: Cate Campbell wont compete in Budapest.

Very interesting to see how strong Japan, China, Russia and the canadian women are right now (Italy is also doing quite well and they have a relatively young team with Detti, Paltrinieri, Martinenghi, Miressi, Quadarella, Carini). We have already seen tons of new junior world records by Martinenghi, Kolesnikov, Zhuhao, Tan, Ikee and Hasegawa.

I see up to 8 medals for Canada, up to 10 medals for Japan, at least 8 medals for China and at least 6 medals for Russia.

The british, american, french and german nationals are still to come, so when can expect to see a lot more very fast times leading up to Budapest.

Incredible results for the Netherlands, probably no one thought that they could win so many gold medals, its going absolutely perfectly for them.

I think all those surprising medals make up for the results of their mens football national team.

Am 14.8.2016 um 04:32 schrieb Maxim Fastovsky:

Well Rumors openly started already about Tokyo 2020, yesterday and after the trials he said that he absolutely not coming back.

I doubt he will get a real job, i'm sure he will go to work for nbc just like nastia liukin, or work for USA Swimming... though think about some student going to class and seeing phelps in his class.... thats hillarious

Many famous people went to university when already being famous, i recall Jodie Foster and Natalie Portman from the back of my head ...

In Germany there is also the possibility to study at an university without being physically present, in the US you would probably call it a distance university. Tons of german footballers (for example Oliver Kahn) got a degree after the end of their career, so i think Phelps should also be able to get one (if hes smart/ambitious enough). I honestly hope that he and Bolt will retire and i have no problem to say that i like him, but likewise i have to say that the most important thing for him is to find a new meaning in life, so that he wont get alcohol/drug problems again, i hope that his family will be able to hold him down to earth.

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2016
Posted (edited)
vor 4 Minuten schrieb Maxim Fastovsky:

the 23 gold are probably it..... why would you want to do anything as long as you are so much better then anyone else, the amount of money he makes in commercials is insane

He cant do it for the rest of his life and if he wants to get a real job, then he should start to study as soon as possible, otherwise he will only be able to work as an expert or something like that, but maybe he just doesnt have bigger goals.

I just hope that he wont announce his retirement again, just to come back one year later. If you retire, then please dont comeback, it just shows that you couldnt find anything else of importance in your life.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Hopefully Phelps finally retires now. I just dont get why someone like him cant find an other meaning in life than spending all his time swimming from one side of the pool to the other.

Gerade eben schrieb Pavlo:

she recalls 1 great swimmer from...Ireland, having our affair in weightlifting i`m not that naive

Why are you so focused on Blume? There are many swimmers who are more suspicious ...

Interesting that the girl from Denmark destroyed her PB this week, its always funny when a country is great on the womens side and absolutely shit on the mens side in a sport like swimming. :d

We have had many weird results in all sports this week, i guess many athletes have a problem to adapt to a completely new time zone and the very weird times many finals take place.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb mrv86:

Why don't they start using milesimals of a second, instead of giving two or three medals of the same color? It's getting quite annoying.

On another topic, what a race by Schooling.

I absolutely agree, this is ridiculous. I still remember womens 200 breast podium last year. For me medals become less special if half of the athletes in the final get one. Its also completely random to only look at the hundreds of a second, why not also look at the thousands of a second or only at the tenths of a second? If there is a possibility to get a more precise measurement, then it should be used. Why doesnt athlete X, who is one thousandth of a second faster than athlete Y, deserve a "better" medal? In the end this athlete has been faster and showed a better performance ...