website statistics
Men's Baseball MLB 2021
Posted
33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Dodgers beat Giants 2-1 in the Game 5 decider and advance to NLCS. Julio Urias only came in as reliever in the 3rd inning (most pundit & fans expected him to start) and Max Scherzer got the save after Cody Belinger drove in the go-ahead RBI in the top of the 9th.

Man... I can't get a break with those tough games.   First chargers on Sunday gave me a heartattack.  And then dodgers in a very tense ending

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Baseball is a niche sport when it comes to Olympics. I don't see how MLB stops their season to have players involved.

Wishful thinking due to it being set in Los Angeles. Besides if not they will have hard time making sure they will be able to use Angel and Dodger stadium during the games, those will be some long away trips

4 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:USA

Pitchers: Shane Baz, Anthony Carter, Brandon Dickson, Anthony Gose, Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Nick Martinez, Scott McGough, David Robertson, Joe Ryan, Ryder Ryan, Simeon Woods-Richardson

Catchers: Tim Federowicz, Mark Kolozsvary

Infielders: Nick Allen, Eddy Alvarez, Triston Casas, Todd Frazier, Jamie Westbrook

Outfielders: Tyler Austin, Eric Filia, Patrick Kivlehan, Bubba Starling

Utility: Jack Lopez

As expected, it's a mix of former MLB players and top prospects. As a Blue Jays fan, it's great to see Simeon Woods-Richardson make the team.

Also of note is that Eddy Alvarez was on the short track speed skating team at the 2014 olympics and he joins the list of people who have competed in both a summer and winter olympics.

Edwin Jackson threw a no hitter once, Scott Kazmir had quite a few great years in Tampa, David Roberts was a yankees closer. Not a bad team, hopefully though they will be able to have an agreement for LA2028 to send the majors players since it will be in Dodger Stadium

1 minute ago, Dnl said:

So i'll be the Optemisitc one.., we have a group of players that most of them are playing together since 2016 or so, some of them has an MLB expireince and were at the top (Ian kinsler for example) so i don't see why not

Kinsler is playing? i didnt see a roster

35 minutes ago, phelps said:

good luck (if the Surfing World Games format was complicated, this is even worse :yikes:)...:lol:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.wbsc.org/upload/a1fcfd30-458b-c126-56f2-c7f0453fd9fa.pdf

I meant about how the 2 groups will be decided.   Draw or ranking based 

55 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Still depending on whether or not The teams decide to give the players the option or keep them on the roaster, hoping that in LA 2028 it will be possible that all MLB players Could and would be in 

it will still be hard because of the majors going on in the same time, they need to stop it, i wish , but i'm skeptical

Men's Baseball MLB 2020
Posted
4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are witnessing a master class in bad PR/Communications. I just can’t with the MLB/Astros right now.

If Astros trophy won't be vacated (not given to Dodgers) then it's a real shame

Baseball 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
8 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

World Baseball Classic will now expand from 16 to 20 teams in 2021.

All 16 teams from the 2017 World Baseball Classic have already qualified:

:AUS:CAN:CHN:COL:CUB:DOM:ISR:ITA:JPN:MEX:NED:PUR:KOR:TPE:USA:VEN

There will be two qualifiers that will have a double elimination format with the top 2 teams qualifying for the World Baseball Classic.

Pool 1(March 12-17):

:BRA:FRA:GER:NCA:PAK:RSA

Pool 2(March 20-25):

:CZE:GBR:NZL:PAN:PHI:ESP

https://www.wbsc.org/news/world-baseball-classic-to-expand-from-16-to-20-nations-as-qualifiers-announced?fbclid=IwAR32ApIcUcxsZBAyYrwK9ltyzTCUj4bllx5KYdEaqtjEBgt7SJMqMjKpRE0

Last time Israel almost made it to the semis.  Let's do it this time! (After winning a gold medal in Tokyo off course lol)

Men's Baseball MLB 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Yep. Apparently a mix of cocaine and EPO was good enough to keep your cool :p 

I don't remember what happened then.... refresh my memory? ( I just remember being hurt bad the year before because i was a big AC Milan fan back then)

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT CARE WHO PLAYS.  I CARE THAT THE ISRAELI FLAG WILL BE ONE OF ONLY 6 IN THE OLYMPIC BASEBALL TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!    

Now if only we can find a way to bring some of the jewish major leaguers.   

israel GIF

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Well if we end up with a team composed of Americans who happen to be Jewish taking up one of only six Olympic quotas  in baseball I'd say this would be a public relations disaster for those arguing for the  ongoing inclusion of baseball in the Olympics .

The big question is how many of the team learnt the sport in Israel ?

I remember that there was a story that Greece toyed with the idea of fielding a ( field ) hockey team comprised of persons from the Greek diaspora who knew the game ( which is largely unknown in Greece ) for Athens 2004,

Fortunately it went nowhere . Somebody will always throw these ideas up, They should be ignored for the integrity of sport 

The answer is 0, but how exactly is it different with Chinese table tennis players playing for every possible country, there are were way more then 3 chinese table tennis players. And what about Qatar and their handball team? there are plenty of examples of athletes who go on to represent another country , if we stop israel we should stop everyone.

Just now, NearPup said:

:ISR 8 - 2 :ITA final.

In a very anticlimactic finish to this tournament, Israel is guaranteed a spot in the Olympics as long as they beat either :CZE or :RSA this week-end.

Does anyone know when was the last time that Israel qualified in a team sport?

Montreal 76 in soccer

Baseball 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted
18 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, at the Olympic Games they could play, but of course they won't because the owners of the MLB teams won't give them permission to leave and play elsewhere in the middle of their season (nor they have any intention to stop the majors for a couple of weeks or so)...

Like i said, not next year , but MAYBE in 2028

Posted
12 hours ago, phelps said:

no, because MLB players can't play at the Premier 12 by rule...

it's gonna be mainly triple- and double A players, with Japan, Korea and Chinese Taipei using their own main leagues to fill the spots on their respective rosters...

still, US depth chart is beyond imagination, so, if Girardi can put on a good staff to help him selecting the right players in the perfect spot, USA can easily be a top contender in any case (like it happened 4 years ago)...

But by rule they are allowed in the olympics? (i know they wont be in tokyo, but i'm hoping for LA2028 there will be a break and MLB will play)

Posted
21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Huge announcement from USA Baseball today: https://www.usabaseball.com/news/joe-girardi-named-team-usa-premier12-manager/c-309769698?tid=216632610

I have much respect for what this man can do with a team. It should be interesting to see how much he improves the national team.

The question is, can we expect any prominent MLB names since it will be after the playoffs (mike trout comes to mind since the angels are god awful but he's amazing)

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?
    • I can understand if they don’t have the multi-events and the walks on the athletic programme, but no javelin? 
    • That was never a controversy for anybody who has watched this sport for an hour.   in Judo you can win by strangulation or something but you can't break the neck I assume.  that's the same with kicking (or punching) to the head in Karate, you can kick but you can't kick with maximum force. that's the first thing they teach you in Karate. the very first thing.
    • Doest it matter ? Should it ?   I mean, the vast majority of olympic events are shit TV products anyway that no one watch outside of the Olympics.
    • I have now increased the width of the view so there is more space in the right and left borders.   Table with width 1000px are still too wide   Nation1 Jury Members Artist Song Video Voted   Argentina     La Guitarra -   Brazil     Meu Abrigo   but it also depends on the size of your screen and of your font. If a table is too wide you can zoom out (ctrl+mouse wheel) and see the missing columns in the right. On my screen, a table with width 900px and zoom 100% works fine:     Nation2 Jury Members Artist Song Video Voted   Argentina     La Guitarra -   Brazil     Meu Abrigo  
    • The judging systems for kata and breakdancing were actually both completely changed specifically for the Olympics, so they were both as old as one another.   And karate might have had many decades of development but that doesn’t mean the end product was any good as a TV sport, and it also had arguably the most controversial officiating decision of the entire Tokyo Olympics.