website statistics
3 hours ago, Cobi said:

Seven players (Unai Simón, Marc Cucurella, Martín Zubimendi, Mikel Merino, Mikel Oyarzabal, Pedri and Dani Olmo) were part of the team that won the silver medal 3 years ago in Tokyo. And fun fact, Oyarzabal scored in both finals.

This year Fermín López and Álex Baena will join the team in Paris. They have not played much in EURO so they won't be very tired for the Olympics.

How the hell is Lamine Yamal not in the olympics? did Barcelona not let him do both?

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

So now we have one side of the bracket with Spain, Germany, France, Portugal… will we have another walk in the park for England if they win today and get to avoid all this until the final?

Looks like second round England vs Netherlands and the Quarters again Italy.....

56 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

People booing the Slovenian anthem. Good to know not just we Dutch (where lots of idiots were booing the Austrian anthem) have amoebae among the 'fans' :p 

This is becoming a really annoying trend among the lowlifes in the stadium..

speaking of anthems....

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted
6 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I never really got that argument anyway.  North and South America are one continent, but Europe is not just a peninsula of the Eurasian continent?  You can even throw Africa in there since the Sinai Isthmus is the same as the Panamanian Isthmus.  And let's not even get into cultural differences.  Besides, Europe gets more quotas than Europe anyway.  

Not even an argument...... it was never an issue, there were always separate qualification tournaments, with 24,32 and even next time with 48

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022
Posted
1 hour ago, bestmen said:

America is 1 continent not 2 , they are 10 counties in southern part +20-30 in north , they can make groups just like others ,

hé no, they divided the cotiinent to ensure the qualif of USA , they play vs islands without any experience in football , that's why they qualify,they are always in 

they know  they have no  chance vs south american teams , this system of cheating is shameful 

Except that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL existed since 1948 and since 1958 when the qualifications started by continent there were different qualifiers for north and south america. (just like volleyball and norcaeca and csv)

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Maxim Fastovsky are you going to any of the games? I think my sister is going to the finals.

I am not really interested in women's soccer and carson is not really close to me, i'm going there in a month for rugby

12 hours ago, Vektor said:

So :IRL vs. :DEN and :WAL vs. :HUN will be the most important and most interesting matches of the last matchday. If everything goes as expected (Ireland doesn't beat Denmark and Wales beats Hungary), this is what will happen at the Play-offs:

Path D

:GEO vs. :MKD 

:KOS vs. :BLR 

Path C

:SCO vs. :BUL 

:NOR vs. :SRB 

Path B

:BIH vs. :NIR 

:SVK vs. :IRL 

Path A

:ISL vs. :ROU 

:ISR vs. :HUN 

Why do israel go to Path A playoffs? we were in League 3? how are they determining which team goes to which Path?

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2018
Posted

damn damn damn damn damn, World cup starts with Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Germany all not winning, thats insane, maybe this year we will see a new winner, Belgium comes to mind.

I will be in Mexico for the second semi final and the final, so i'm kinda hoping for a cinderella run for el-tri, just to see the insanity on the streets of cancun

Football 2018 Discussion Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, Agger said:

It's two stadiums per group ;)

I support shared hosting, but it can really become too much as well.

there is no good solution with hosting of big events, prevention of white elephants, hence why so many failed referendums on olympic bids, so what's the solution? end the world cup? end the olympics?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

No, it's one of the wrost idea in the world. You can't play a day in Monterry (alture) and one day in Toronto... awful condictions

But Euro 2020 is not like that, it's a group in one stadium, and i'm sure that in United2026 there will be no jumps from canada one game to mexico next, or from new york to l.a

Posted
44 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Maybe with 48 teams in the World Cup we could have more unusual tournaments.

Maybe half the tournament in Spain, the other half in Morocco but the final in Paris?

Or half in Argentina, half in Colombia, final in Sao Paolo?

Half in India, half in China, final in Hong Kong?

Euro 2020 went for something like it, that is a pretty good idea

Posted
2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I realize that white elephants are a concern, but I Morocco would’ve used the stadiums. I think part of the issue is the insane demands sports federations put on host cities. Huge stadiums are awesome, but not necessarily needed. I also think that joint bids aren’t a bad thing. I think the Olympics and other major events should work on a rotating system. Every Olympiad should be in a different continent, and the countries on that continent are responsible for figuring out a hosting plan, preferably shared between multiple countries, and continents should have the opportunity to skip an Olympiad if they feel unable to host it. But I do agree with many the points you make, especially concerning postering, and I like that LA is currently sports paradise.

NFL Coming back with 2 great teams (Chargers season ticket holder right here), new Soccer stadium, Lakers on the rise again, World Cup, OLYMPICS (with plenty of events coming up as tests) , I LOVE L.A

But i do agree that things have to be done together, not just one city, kinda like what stockholm 2026 doing with sigulda, to not build a sledding track, it will be harder on fans, but easier on economy

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really wanted Morocco to win, I hate smaller countries are basically blacklisted from hosting major sporting events. Morocco could have done it for sure, and if FIFA was really worried about scandals or controversy, then why did they give Russia the World Cup. 

I'm sorry but no, more billions of dollars in spending, more white elephant stadiums, more controversy, would they put the money in? Sure, but why? you don't have enough unused stadiums from South Africa? you will have plenty from russia, qatar.

World Cup (and olympics) should be in places with proven sports culture, so yes, smaller countries will be blacklisted but it will curb spending that can shut that smaller country down.

FIFA (and IOC) should have a list of approved locations where their travelling carnival can go to (you wont get white elephants in England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil)

This insane spending on events need to stop just to show who's bigger

I see you are from L.A like me (where from btw?) We are very fortunate to live in a place with amazing sports infrastructure that no other place really have, let's enjoy what we have and bask in the glory of the upcoming sport goodness coming to USA

Edited by AmericanHero40

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Time to move away from UEFA and join AFC, which would make more sense anyway and increase their chances a lot :p 

yes, i see it now, Israel - Iran, Israel - Qatar, Israel - Bahrain, Israel - Saudi Arabia...... we can just qualify because so many teams just wont show up against us

can we be in a group just with South Korea, Japan, China, Australia? wait, i dont think we can make it out of this group

up until 1994 when israel joined uefa (someone remembers the amazing win in france ? 3-2 on the 94th minute against Eric Cantona and David Ginola), before that they were in Oceania and through there they qualified for the 1970 World Cup and also the playoffs for the 1990 world cup (lost to colombia)

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well, coming from a small nation in football, I'm all for it so maybe our team can qualify :cheer:

haha , 2 finals in 74, 78, semi final in 98, 14, final in 10

yea..... tiny!!

though the expansion means that USA will never miss the world cup again!! (and no , israel will still NEVER qualify)

Posted

But I bet there were plenty of people saying "no, going to 32 is too much, 24 is enough."

That didnt change the tournament to it's very core, 8 groups instead of 6, still going to a round of 16 , now it will be 16 groups of 3 teams, moving on to a round of 32!

and btw, they change to 32 didnt add that many teams per confederation, here they add 5 teams to Africa, 4 to Asia and make the final round of North America meaningless (this year there was only 5 legit teams in north america, and yes i know usa lost to trinidad)

Posted

I wonder if they said the same thing prior to 1982 (going from 16 to 24) and 1998 (going from 24 to 32) :p 

well i dont know about 78-82 and big teams who missed the tournament then, but i do remember England and France not making the 94 world cup in the US

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?
    • I can understand if they don’t have the multi-events and the walks on the athletic programme, but no javelin? 
    • That was never a controversy for anybody who has watched this sport for an hour.   in Judo you can win by strangulation or something but you can't break the neck I assume.  that's the same with kicking (or punching) to the head in Karate, you can kick but you can't kick with maximum force. that's the first thing they teach you in Karate. the very first thing.
    • Doest it matter ? Should it ?   I mean, the vast majority of olympic events are shit TV products anyway that no one watch outside of the Olympics.