website statistics
11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Think the IOC needs to be taught the lesson that they don't get a brand new Pharoah's Tomb every time. 

Thing is Brisbane does need a new round stadium because the Gabba will be at end of life in less than 10 years. This is all politics because of the election this year.

I don't think the current proposal of using QSAC will last very long and it's objectively the worst of the three options.

Summer Olympic Games Brisbane 2032 News
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, phelps said:

the mistake is going to Brisbane...another Sydney run would have no problem

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The mistake was awarding the games 11 years out, in the middle of the pandemic, with no other bids to compare them to.  Not to mention that Australia was adamant about pushing for Brisbane because of the calendar as opposed to Melbourne since they would be a harder sell in the usual July-August window.

It's not Australia that was adamant but the IOC that is adamant they won't allow the games outside of northern hemisphere summer and this rules out both Melbourne and Sydney. If the IOC weren't so busy catering to the desires of certain countries and their broadcasting networks we could have a games in Melbourne.

Edited by dullard

1 hour ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Australia would definitely want Cricket to be in the Games, they are good enough in men's section and miles ahead of anyone among women teams. Also, it's likely to be 8 team tournament from expected 6 in 2028. 

Also iconic stadiums are in nearby Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney.

Additionally, Australia tourism target Indian tourists by promoting cricket tournaments. Olympics Cricket tournament shall boost tourism from India as well 

I'd be surprised if they'd use venues outside Queensland for cricket. Carrara stadium seems like the most likely venue.

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process
Posted
7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

No problem. We can all speculate but at the end of the day I listed my reasons why Muslim & Eastern European conservative countries will be on the black list. Not to mention Russia which probably won't host another OG in the next 50 years at least based on the doping backlash. The only way Muslim coutries can get into SOG hosting picture is through money (and they'd have to battle through NBC calling their shots and probably Jewish lobby pulling the old safety card).

It wouldn't surprise me if 2036 ends up in Russia. The IOC seems to have forgiven and forgotten the doping scandal already.

20 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Exactly.  A few years back they said they would not look at bids from second-string cities, they only wanted big global mega cities.  Well, how's that working out?

The IOC's (NBC's?) insistence that the Olympics not take place outside the northern hemisphere summer (like Sydney 2000) means that Brisbane is the only city large enough and warm enough at that time of year to host the games. Not allowing second tier cities would eliminate Australia from hosting entirely.