website statistics
10 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Squash already confirmed it forsees 32 men, 32 women, 2 events, both sexes individual.

That's correct, only two events as you told me earlier. it stated also in Squash federation news.

Actually you said that before anybody and when WIKIPEDIA was saying 5 medal events by mistake ..credit goes to you my friend ..or you maybe a member of squash federation board :clap:

So, it has been confirmed 

All 5 additional sports approved (expected)

reinstatement of Modern Pentathlon and Weightlifting 

boxing still on hold but seems safe under the governance of IOC

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1141685/ioc-eb-boxing-back-on-hold

41 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Boxing has been dropped off the Olympic program! 

Initially yes, but all the rumors expect to reinstate Boxing alongside with Weightlifting and even Modern Pentathlon has a great chance to remain in the program too, we will know for sure during the IOC session

5 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

That would be great! Maybe the Dutch NOS article was just confusing in its wording then, they mentioned it was picked by the hosts Tokyo and Paris but was not on LA's list as a host. If it becomes permanent that's still technically correct I guess. I hope you're right and I just misread it, thank you!

Twenty-eight sports included in youth-focused LA28 Initial Sports Programme - Olympic News (olympics.com)

here you are, originally they were proposed as replacement for Weightlifting, Boxing and Modern Pentathlon, but if the three with the great heritage reinstated it doesn't mean they will drop surfing, climbing and skateboarding as they became part of the core program. 

2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but apparently sport climbing is out? That was by far my favorite of the new sports and a really great addition to the Olympic Programme. It surprises me as well, cause climbing is practiced a lot in the US and everywhere. Just a huge missed opportunity if climbing gets dropped honestly. This sport deserves 3 seperate medals for speed, lead and boulder.

Climbing still there, I think it became a permanent sport. very nice one and fits in the olympic program in my opinion too.

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Though one thing I must say, new sports must be added during the application process so nations can vote on it in the event of multiple host applications, not after the host has been awarded

I think this is a good idea 

no surprise would happen between the awarding date and the new sports announcement date .. so why not it’s clear from day one and votes go to a host + sports 

My take about this suggestions:

- Baseball / Softball are popular in USA and all fields are ready to host and will attract a lot of audience

- same with Lacrosse and Flag football but to a bit less extent 

- Cricket is very popular in Asia and economically a great choice with decent number of Fans worldwide 

- Squash is a great surprise.. very cheap to setup a court anywhere.. I guess it has been selected to balance the situation with some European countries like :GBR :FRA happy for   :EGY & :GBR .. hope they claim few medals 

some news from Moroccan sports pages claiming that Italian Karate Federation received a letter from WKF saying Karate is outside LA 2028 program.. I don’t know how genuine this letter is 

would appreciate any confirmation specifically from Italian friends 

IMG_4072.jpeg

Edited by El Analyzer

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, there are nine sports on the list going for inclusion...is there a minimum or maximum number of sports to be selected? Like, do they have to select something, or can they choose to go with none of these sports? Or in the other side, can they choose to go for all nine, theoretically? Or is it a matter of choosing specifically X sports?

they can go with all  (respecting athletes quota cap) ..of course difficult but theortically can do.

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are very few Olympic arguments that boil my blood as much as “x isn’t a sport.” Mainly because I don’t actually think the Olympics should be solely about sport. There should be room for mind sports, artistic competition, and maybe even e-sports. 

The Olympics, in ancient times, were meant to be a celebration of humanity. There were sporting and artistic competitions. It was also a time to exchange social/political ideas. People gathered to celebrate many aspects of Hellenic life. I think the modern ideal of the Olympics as a purely sporting competition meant for only the “best of the best” loses sight of what the Games are supposed to be about. The Olympics should be world championships, Cannes/TIFF/Sundance, Glastonbury/Coachella, The World’s Fair, International peace summit, etc. mixed into one.

It’s a pipe dream of mine, but I do think the focus on elite sport has detracted from some of the more charming/eloquent aspects of the Olympics. 

Cricket, modern pentathlon, breaking, etc. all add something to the event even if you don’t personally enjoy them. The Olympics are fun because of the diversity of sports offered. I don’t think we should lose sight of that during all our deliberations in this thread. 

absolutely correct ..de coubertin got a medal in art competetion during 1912 olympics, it should cover different aspects (but under correct names and titles)  should be a worldwide festival for all talents (but this is like a dream) ...again ..well said my friend :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

There are two reasons golf being in the Olympics makes sense. The first is that (except in very limited cases *cough* Rio *cough*) there is a championship qualify golf course in every major city, so hosting an Olympic golf tournament is very cheap. Given that, golf does not need to provide much value to make sense.

But maybe the biggest reason: by having golf in the Olympics it ensures the PGA and LPGA will never schedule an important tournament at the same time as the summer games. Dito with tennis and the ATP/WTA. If you want to watch golf during the Olympics the biggest tournament is… the Olympics.

It’s completely fine if more Olympic fans don’t like golf. Golf isn’t in the Olympics for people like us.

what you are saying is making absolute sense (from IOC point of view) specially second item 

for me as a normal olympic fan I would only watch golf if my brother is playing ...mmm ..actually I will give him a call after the event asking "how was it?" :p

I have some thoughts but could be totally wrong:

• Team sports (which is my favourite sports outside the Olympics) are the most boring sports in the program
  • Spending 90 min watching two teams trying to finish a game 0/0 or watching 7 sports in the same duration (I’d go for the latter)
  • Why IOC not adding to each program a sport which could add to the medal tally of the small nations, It would be more fair imho to get (for example)  :GUI :ALB :ESA :BAN on the medal table 
  • Karate is a repeat of similar Martial arts Olympic sports, would it be more fair to have 2 out of karate, Taekwondo and Judo each Olympics and keep rotating? Kickboxing can be added too
  • Similar for squash why not rotating with badminton and table tennis
  • Breaking is not a sport with all respect, otherwise Salsa and Tango should be included
  • Boxing, weightlifting and modern pentathlon are part of Olympic heritage, can’t believe they could be excluded (but each of them needs to work on some internal issues)
  • Golf at Olympics, I would be surprised to see between each 100 persons one is watching it at Olympics!

10 hours ago, Dragon said:

My analysis.

Baseball

POSITIVES - One of the biggest sports in the host country,  will require no new facilities, might attract big crowds live, A US Olympics might persuade MLB to allow players to compete

NEGATIVES - Little interest outside a few parts of the world (North America, parts of Central and South America and East Asia), If MLB doesn't allow their players to go the Olympics then the competition will be the lowest quality of any Olympic sport. Will take a lot of quota places

Flag Football

POSITIVES - A variation of one of the biggest sports in the host country,  will require no new facilities, might attract big crowds live. A US Olympics might persuade the NFL to allow players to compete

NEGATIVES - Little interest outside the USA, the USA will win easily, unlike Rugby Sevens it's not established as a serious sport. Will take a lot of quota places

Breaking -

POSITIVES - Got to be in with the street culture, dude. It's quite fun to watch

NEGATIVES - There is no subjective way of judging the "sport". Is it even a sport?

Cricket

POSITIVES - India is the last important country in the world where Olympic TV rights are undervalued. Mr.Bach likes Rupees.

NEGATIVES - Will need new facilities. Cricket is only played well in about 25 countries around the world. Will take a lot of quota places

Lacrosse

POSITIVES -  Popular in North America. Exciting to watch.

NEGATIVES - Only a handful of countries are competitive. Will take a lot of quota places

Karate and Kickboxing

POSITIVES - Widespread competition around the world

NEGATIVES - Too many similar combat sports in the Olympics.

E-Karting

POSITIVES - There must be some?

NEGATIVES - Does motorsport belong in the Olympics anyway?

great analysis mate, but looks like you already dropped Squash from your list (or you can't find pros and cons :p)

I like your last comment about Breaking :thumbup:

Exactly, athletes quotas is the main concern, IOC wants to cap the entries but keeping unversality.

my personal feeling that IOC doesn't care so much, revenue is important of course but just feeling bad for athletes in other sports who deserve to be olympians 

When I am looking at the Olympic program I have a lot of questions regarding medal distribution between sports.

As an example:

Rowing has 14 medals, Canoeing 16 and sailing 10 (this group altogether 40 medals)

While some other sports are having much less medals (Modern Pentathlon 2, Triathlon 3, and something like Weightlifting the quotas reduced to 10 medals only now)

On the other hand some popular sports are fighting to get included each cycle like Cricket, squash, Karate and Baseball.

Would it be more fair for wider audience to get some reasonable cuts from existing sports and include couple more as permanent

By the way I don’t have any problems with Rowing, sailing etc, but I feel the allocated medal are a bit excessive compared to others.  

In preparation for LA 2028, today is the first UIPM world championship to adapt obstacles as the 5th sport. personally I like MP the most and I found it interesting sport with multi abilities techniques .

Also I was hoping equestrian to continue, this discipline sometimes not fair but as an audience it give me the thriller of no one can guarantee his/her position before and after it.

But still fair enough for athletes to have a discipline which you can perform with consistency.

Looking forward to seeing the first W Ch (U17) with Obstacle discipline involved.