website statistics
5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not really kicking out, but at some point probably being forced to let their employee go. And getting in big financial (and so existential) troubles as well due to not having their Russian money anymore, which is basically what the 'American' team has been running on.

Although if they're actually opting to kick Mazepin out by their own choice, seeing Haas go down would be kind of sweet. Too bad for the other employees though..

They are talking about Mario Andretti taking over the team

21 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Those countries will rightly not  u turn now. Cosmdeirng how unpopular FIFA is I really don’t think it’s worth it from them for the world to think they pro Russia at a time like this. If they not careful FIFA could lose many members permanently.

But FIFA can always sink lower.

Yea but if they kick Russia out then everyone should.  No OAR in the paralympic games.   No tennis players.  No Russians in the diamond league.  Nothing.   And athletes don't deserve this. 

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

The majority of the world will withdraw from the World Cup if the Russians there. If CAS allow Russia to compete they as good as cancelling the World Cup.

They should just let it play out.  Russia is worse then Poland, Sweden or Czech Republic.   Play the games elsewhere and Russia will just lose

Even though I'm anti Russian, not allowing them to play is not fair.  Move the games somewhere else.   Either to one of the 3 countries in the bracket or to a totally different country.   But their players to deserve to play (and probably lose to poland anyway)

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Any major events still on apart from IndyCar and NASCAR, XC in Quebec and biathlon in Kontiolahti? :p

I'm talking about events on the highest level their sports, so no regional U16 championships or something :d

I feel like pretty much everything that could have been cancelled, was cancelled yesterday. 

Edit: snowboard cross in Veysonnaz today is still on and the same goes for freestyle skiing in Switzerland (but forgot the place and event) I think.

is F1 this weekend still on?

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread
Posted
6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I'm well aware handball is completely non-existent in USA. It's probably the most European-centered team sport anyway.

Will be interesting to see if usa can put some sort of competitive teams in 2028.  Or maybe ihf will force them to qualify 

Posted
11 hours ago, Monzanator said:

In other words nobody gives a damn about water polo. USA doesn't care about volleyball, you don't even have a league outside of the NCAA system. If anyone wants to make money from this he/she must either go on the beach or travel to Europe/Asia to play indoors.

If you're talking country wide no one cares about anything beyond the main sports outside of Olympics. But still I wouldnt put water polo in the same sentence as handball.  

Posted
22 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Right. Does any channel actually broadcast water polo matches in USA outside of the Olympics? :lol:

Same can be said for any sport, the olympic channel shows world league, world championships, volleyball is not even that, it's on flosports. main channels are almost the big 4 sports(nfl,nba,mlb,nhl), premier league and mls, college football, nascar. But if you want to catch anything outside of those you'll probably find it on the olympic channel

Posted
19 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

And Water Polo and Handball (Americans like to pretend those sports don’t exist). I do agree that the US and UK are dominating the international sports scene a bit much, but that isn’t what this is about. 

Weird that you say Water Polo when US Women are basically unstoppable and won how many international tournaments in a row?

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process
Posted
Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I’m really hoping for LA 2028 and then Salt Lake 2030. Both are within driving distance, and absolutely love both cities.

Well l.a is official obviously.   (Yaaaay, who's coming and wants to stay over?)     And if salt lake is putting themselves on the ballot I believe they will win easily 

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

He won a bronze medal in Osaka WCh 2007 at 200m. I remember seeing him at some junior champs before that, he was quite hyped back then already but American media probably ignored him outright. I guess his height prevented him from being a lock for 100m so people could have been surprised by his 2008 OG results but I wasn't. Though I understand Americans don't care much about other nations in sports they're used to dominate like athletics. Tyson Gay was supposed to win the double in Beijing and he underperformed badly.

It's not about him winning 3 golds.  Its about shattering 3 world records in such a way. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

He was a 200m speciallist until 2007 tbh.

What doesn't add up is the Carl Lewis story. I've read several reports IAAF doesn't want to touch the 1984 or 1988 doping file cause it would have blown the history books into the sky. Lewis is lucky Ben Johnson proved to be such an idiot. I still reckon Lewis is the biggest scam there ever was who got away with it and he was lucky it still happened during the 80s. I mean he failed multiple drug tests during the '88 US trials and they swept it under the rug. Unbelievable. The cover up only failed with BALCO & Marion Jones but only because it stretched beyond track & field and there was no way they could cover this up anymore.

I didnt see any special results in 200 either.  

Posted
5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Federer91 Fair points, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Bolt’s retests haven’t come up as positive. It is hard nowadays to say with certainty that an athlete isn’t doping. I choose to go with a “innocent till proven guiltily” mindset and generally am willing to give athletes a second chance if they admit to cheating, apologize, change their behavior, and work towards becoming a positive role model.

I will never be convinced that bolt is clean.  His achievements in Beijing doesnt make any sense (no outstanding results until may 2008) then suddenly break through with incredible records in the Olympics.   It doesnt add up

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• With past precedence, a sport not in thr top 2 tiers will likely find it hard to add another discipline without dropping event. For ex. Canoeing in Paris.
    • I'm sure Kata is very historically meaningful, but it's not sport. Lots of dancing is very ritualised too. Still not sport.
    • Ok but the kata is not dancing, are a sequence of pre-established movements which have centuries and is one of the pillars of most martials arts, i cant simply equalize with an street dancing. In kata, i watch a martialist looking for make perfection, in breakdancing i watch a dancer trying to make the best choreography for a judge.
    • Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?