website statistics
19 minutes ago, dcro said:

Relay qualifications suddenly became interesting.

I agree, watching teams competing at separate events in order to qualify was a bit tedious. It also removed the pressure aspect when you have many opportunities to get it right and put up a top performance.

There's also no recovering from a disqualification. For example, if the 2022 were the qualifiers Great Britain would be missing out in the women's 4x100m medley.

The big difference compared to their initial documents which were recalled is that the 2024 Aquatics Championships will take a big role.

In swimming, only the top 3 relays of the 2023 champs will qualify while in 2024 will determine the other 13, there will be no teams determined by best times.

In open water swimming there will be no Olympic qualifier, the quotas will be determined at the 2024 champs

In water polo, the world league will offer no quotas, and the 2024 champs will determine the final quotas

In diving, the world cup was replaced by the 2024 champs, which will only look at the top 12 rather than top 18 so we are more likely to not end up in a situation where there are more qualifiers than quotas

In artistic swimming, the 2023 champs will not be an Olympic qualifier, only the continental qualifiers plus the 2024 champs will offer quotas

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

first question , what if a team wins the continental event and also reaches the QF at the World Championships? who is going to take the quota ?

1) next team in the continent ?

2) will be reallocated to the ranking ?

3) draw of lots between 1/8 final losers ? :d

Based on the wording of the document (and how things were done for mixed doubles in 2020) it would be reallocated to the rankings. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a sport federation changes the rules on the fly.

I wonder if the Americas will follow Asia and split the quotas by region (North and Latin America) or will they just combine everything?

Some notable difference relative to 2020

BMX racing now has continental quotas

Road cycling no longer allows individuals to qualify via the world rankings, also the nations ranking quotas have changed to match the updated quota distribution.

Track cycling has the quota distribution for the long distance events differing. Also it looks like NOCs can have two athletes in the Omnium compete.

4 hours ago, Agger said:

Not that I disagree but it's the same as in Tokyo (as france gets the host quota)

Asia went from 2 to 2+host in 2020. The host quota not being tied to any continent is a common tactic for many sports and I thought FIFA figured that out, but I guess not. It's not like Africa and South America needed two quotas each, even having them share a second quota is already generous

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

That football qualification document is ridiculous. TBD...

Also really wondering why there's 16 male teams and 12 female teams, when the women's Olympic tournament has far more pedigree in the sport.

The IOC doesn't want to increase athlete quotas, we are more likely to see a decrease in the men's event to 12 than an increase in the women's to 16.

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Lol, what is this? :PUR :NCA :DOM are pre-qualified for the KO stage. :roflmao:

Sure, pandemic, whatever. But Olympic qualification tournaments should never allow something like this.

EDIT: Now I see they get the hardest draw for the Round of 16. Ridiculous. This is unfair to everyone involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

Yeah, the top 16 teams got a bye to the tournament while the rest had to qualify, but if you qualified you automatically qualified to the knock-out round and are against the group winners.

The continental representation (2023 World Surfing Games/Pan American Games) quotas now have higher priority than the 2024 World Surfing Games.

Additionally the team events from the 2022 and 2024 World Surfing Games will award one quota (with 2024 having a higher priority over the 2022 games) and will give an opportunity for nations to qualify a third athlete.

They have also changed the Davis Cup/Billie Jean Cup requirements, now they only need to participate twice (or have a good reason why not) to be eligible.

Also no European/Oceania quota (one went to the host and the other went to the Grand Slam/Olympic medalist quota).

Also for the remaining continental quotas the ranking limit has been increased to 400 (was 300 for 2020).

3 hours ago, dcro said:

So i guess nothing changed for the continental spots? You can still earn them for free?

Man, sailing is really pushing it. They are the first federation with universality qualifier + universality invitations, and of course the useless continental spots. No wonder the federation is on the edge of bankruptcy.

Yeah, they need to follow canoeing and have a rule where at least 2 or 3 nations have to compete for the quota to be valid.

I do like the emerging nations quotas, it helps nations which are good in other sports, but developing in the sport in question. I always found it unfair for nations like Ethiopia and Jamaica where they are quite weak in almost all sports, but because of athletics they are not eligible for tripartite quotas.

A comparison vs. 2020.

Dressage - The Group F qualifier will be at the 2022 World Championships, assuming an eligible team competes. Two individual Group D/E quotas will be determined by the 2023 Pan American Games (the other 2 will be through the rankings as before).

Eventing - 1 additional team quota determined at the 2022 World Championships (there are three fewer individual quotas). The document is a bit ambiguous on whether the D/E quotas are combined or separate. I think they are combined based on the proposal, and they forgot to specify that the groups will get 4 quotas.

Jumping - The 2022 Nations Cup Final will determine one quota (taken from the 2022 World Championships). Group C currently only has one qualifier rather than splitting them up. The individual D/E quotas have changed, only 3 will be determined at the 2023 Pan American Games while the fourth will be decided through the rankings.

For people keeping track, we are missing

Aquatics (Artistic Swimming, Diving, Open Water, Swimming, Water Polo)

Athletics

Canoeing (Slalom, Sprint)

Cycling (BMX Freestyle, BMX Race, Road, Track)

Equestrian (Dressage, Eventing, Jumping)

Football

Sailing

Surfing

Table Tennis

Tennis

In terms of direct qualifiers, equestrian and football will definitely have 2022 qualifiers while sailing may also use their 2022 world champs. The 2022 Asian Games may have qualifiers in these sports too (sailing? tennis?)

FIFA is always pretty bad about publishing the qualification document. The men's and women's CONCACAF and women's CONMEBOL qualifiers will happen in the coming months. Everything else is dated for 2023/2024 so I am not worrying too much about them just yet.

Note for women's CONCACAF the winner will qualify directly while second and third place will play a play-off match in 2023.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I wonder if they are waiting for the qualification systems to be 100% finalized before they publish them on site.

Because, if so, then it will be months before all of them come up. FEI for example has not yet decided on the minimum eligibility criteria. They have postponed that decision all the way to November.

For equestrian at least, they'll need to publish soon since the first direct qualifying event is suppose to be the 2022 World Championships. The IOC made it a big deal for the sport federations to be open and transparent.

I guess we'll see...

Here's Mountain Biking

The other cycling disciplines are not on the IOC website (funny enough the date listed for mountain biking is for tomorrow so maybe they'll show up then).

Overall, a reduction of two athletes per event. Nations can now only qualify a maximum of 2 athletes and this time there will be a tripartite quota available.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Looks like they reduced one tripartie to guarantee 2 per confederation per singles event. 

They also added a stipulation that you have to be in the top 250 in order to get the singles continental quota, so no "free" quota for the Pacific nations.

Looks like 1 less tripartite invitation per gender for badminton. Funny enough the qualification document references 34 & 35 initial single quotas, an issue when you copy and paste the previous rules.

I also thought sport climbing would split their quotas evenly. In hindsight, it makes sense for the Bouldering/Lead event to have more athletes.