website statistics
Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted
Just now, phelps said:

it has nothing to do with Olympic sailing...

it's just because the French are more than obsessed with those trans-oceanic races and would like to celebrate their popular heroes also at a global event...:whistle:

some kind of activity, as entertaining and exciting they could be, are just not tailor made for the Olympic Games and their environment...this is one of those (otherwise, why not a full America's Cup kind of class and format? surely it's more exciting and tv friendly than this thing)...

I have to disagree here. I think this is the perfect event for the Olympics. The Volvo Ocean Race has never been more popular (it’s televised in the US all the time), and longer race tours are becoming more frequent. It makes sense to add an event like this to the Olympics. They actually wanted to add it in Tokyo, but IOC said they’d need more time to prepare and organize something like this. I don’t know if it’s officially in the 2024 Olympics yet, since the program isn’t confirmed. I don’t think this event is a perfect fit for the Olympics, but I’m ready to give it a chance. Plus, it’s closer to how sport sailing has been conducted for hundreds of years.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
Just now, Jur said:

I actually LOVED the idea.

It's different to the rest of the sailing events, loved that it runs for three days and it's a large endurance race. I'm really hyped right now!

I only had bad reviews about it cause I heard some international sailors trash it, cause aparently it's very expensive (I mean, isn't all sailing expensive?). But it really adds something new to the games.

I like that you can use an app the virtual compete against them in near live time. It’d be interesting to see if any can beat real Olympians on the Olympic course. I also like the on-board 24/7 cameras, and the fact the race for 24 hours. I think it should really reenergize the program. I really hope to see some great sailing and great sailors. I’m totally ready like you, to give it a chance. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

It’s a bit ambitious, but I’m honestly down to give this event a shot. There are some really cool ideas in video about the event. Based of the description, it would meet my personal requirements for Olympic inclusion. Video Description:

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That would make it seem a little like Paris 1900, where a large number of eventual participants didn't even know they were participating in the Olympics :p 

St. Louis 1904 was worse (Those games will also be the first story of Totallympics Audio Service’s new show coming up sometime this year (autumn most likely)

7 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Good, I hope for surfing in Tahiti, skateboarding in Guadeloupe, breakdancing in French Guiana...so we can forget that they're part of the Olympics.

The thing is that Tahiti is like one of the pinnacles of surfing, so it would be nice to see an Olympic contest in one of the historic homes of surfing.  

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well, every country says they're the best at it, so that's gonna be hard :p 

We’re going to send Red Gerard’s family and Ryan Lochte (so y’all are fucked).

3 hours ago, phelps said:

It's called propaganda...they let you see what they want you to see...

In Afghanistan there are still only a very few girls able to come out of their homes and go to school (and risking their lives and those of their families because of that)...and only in Kaboul, because if you go to Kandahar (Taliban's cradle) or in all the small villages outside the Capital, that's just a dream, rather than the daily reality...

please, don't get fooled by a few sons of the richest people in that Country that can do whatever they want in their backyards...skateboarding is not something you can normally do over there...

I’m well aware of the situation in Afghanistan, and I still stand by my point. @NearPup makes a great argument too for skateboardings inclusion. Skateboarding in the Olympics isn’t the end of the world (but Breaking in the Olympics definitely is). 

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

kids everywhere play foosball , maybe IOC can add that too. or E-sports . I'm sure all of us at least played that once. that's very universal ! much more than skateboarding.

what people do for "fun" is different than real sports.

PS: and no kids in Afghanistan are not skateboarding,

I mean there’s video evidence of it. It get what you guys are all saying don’t get me wrong. Am I happy that Skateboarding is in the Olympics? No. Did I want Skateboarding Olympics? Not right now. Was Skateboarding going to be an Olympic sport one day? Yes. Is Skateboarding a sport? Yes. (And it least it involves physical activity, way more than e-sports or shooting). I pride myself on progressive views. There is absolutely no reason to not look forward. Skateboarding is something that the younger generations are passionate about, along with all the traditional sports. I think it is perfectly ok for Skateboarding to feature in the Olympics (though I think it’s inclusion was a little premature. There were a few issues that needed to be figured out that the IOC dismissed, and now we have a bit of a mess).

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

Sorry but I don't think there is huge participation from Africa and majority of Asia.

Africa actually has some decent participation. All of North Africa, South Africa, Botswana, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, etc. The 2018 Asian Games also proved that Asia has good skaters too.

6 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yeah, like the IOC member say, in Kabul they use skateboard (probabily for escape from the various car bombs :p)... Skateboard isn't a sport just like breakdance, let's be serius.

No, Skateboarding is a sport, and there are positives for inclusion in the Olympics. It’s not an expensive sport (unless you make it so), it’s participation is near universal, and it is loved by many in my generation so it probably will help some people get more interested in the Olympics 

9 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Come on man don't just watch a video or a news and say that afghans are into skateboarding.

It didn’t. I read about how the youth (especially girls) have been using to break the social norms there, and then watched a skating documentary that explored the scene in Afghanistan. The Afghan IOC Member (a woman) made a similar argument to mine. You can find people skateboarding in every country. The sports is not ultra expensive, and is established enough. Skateboarding was bound to be added eventually, it would be extremely naive not to have seen that, so why not add it now. People, at least my generation (the target generation of the proposal), seem to be ok with Skateboarding and Sport Climbing. The jury is out on Surfing, and everyone agrees that Breaking has no place in the Olympics right now.

4 hours ago, opruh said:

Remove taekwondo too, it's boring. Add more wrestling events.

No, Wrestling definitely has enough events

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Or droping it for good as it was only in for political reason in the first place

Taekwondo is sooooo much better than Karate. 

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Let's not pretending that we don't know why Karate is not an allready established olympics sport. This is beacause of 'dancing around with your feet up and not doing much' which translates in Korean as 'Taekwondo'. 

Taekwondo actually translate to “the art of kicking a party punching”. I’m pretty karate is the art of slow foreplay to real fighting.

4 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Larger audience? C'mon.. :lol:

Yes, I can skateboard anywhere. Kids in Afghanistan are skateboarding, not practicing karate.

11 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

karate is played worldwide unlike skateboarding in 5 countries

Skateboarding has a larger audience, but yes there are established nations in the sport

33 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Karate is better than taekwondo, let alone all the other new pseudo-sports they are introducing. Joke events to satisfy the hosts is the way we are going.

Sport Climbing is 3,000 times better than both, and I much prefer taekwondo to karate.

28 minutes ago, opruh said:

Stupid decision by idiot officials to add these "sports". I won't be surprised if something like a competitive hot dog eating contest will be added as the next sport in the future edition of olympics unless some vegans react.

Ok whoa, Sport Climbing definitely deserves a spot in the Olympics. I’m indifferent about Surfing, and Skateboarding was going to make it eventually so whatever. Breaking can go break away from the Olympic Program though.

10 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

What, no talk of removing wrestling, boxing, weightlifting or any other sport the East is good at. I'm disappointed. 

Boxing will go eventually, but see no reason to get rid of Weightlifting or Wrestling

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

At this point I don’t see Skateboarding, Surfing or Climbing going anywhere anytime soon, and at this point they may as well make them permanent. 

Breaking... I suspect that might be a one time experiment.

Really Skateboarding should be gone too for it’s inability to create good governance. Climbing should definitely stay on the program though, it honestly should have been on the program for the last few years.

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Unanimous approval for breakdancing, skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing to be provisionally included on the Paris 2024 Olympic programme.

Breaking will receive a total of 32 quotas for the games. 16 for both men and women. The between the other three sports there will be just over 200 quotas given out. There have also been 12 events proposed, In currently trying to get a list.

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

More often they write about not very controversial topics though, unless you want a big fight about who is the new vice-president of Togo's boules federation or something. 

Those are my favorite types of articles.