website statistics
5 minutes ago, hckošice said:

That Mixed 35km Race Walk event instead of the 50km is still an unjustified crime from IAAF WA

Just wait until you hear about the fencing, swimming, laser shooting, obstacle course component their adding to it :p 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Belle said:

I think this is a fantastic idea. I really want my mother’s home country and support it with updates. But I don’t speak the language(which I’m still mad at mom for) and that maybe can be a problem? What do you think? This is also the only country I want, except for obvious Sweden of course :)

Posts in the thread should still adhere to the normal language rules when posting on Totallympics, so the language barrier shouldn’t be a problem :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’m bringing this thread back for Paris 2024 at the request of @rafalgorka. It wasn’t too active during Tokyo 2020, but it would be cool if we could do more with it for Paris 2024. Qualification season is ramping up, so choose some NOCs to support and keep us updated on their progress :yes

Supporting Small and Lesser Known Nations at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 12/28/2022 - will be permanently removed on 12/27/2024
Deleted by Sindo on 12/28/2022 - will be permanently removed on 12/27/2024

@Sindo I fudged the title, can it please read “Supporting Small and Lesser Known NOCs at the 2024 Summer Olympics.” Apologies.

This thread is all about throwing some good ole’ Totallympics support behind smaller and lesser known NOCs during the qualification period and Games-time competitions at the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Below you can find the suggested rules/guidelines for this thread.

What determines if a NOC is small and/or lesser known? For the purpose of this thread, we will support countries without an active user, club, or following on Totallympics. The list of NOCs eligible for universality quotas would be a good place to select your new favorite teams from. Of course, users are welcome to propose other nations they think fit the criteria as well.

How should a user choose a nation(s) to support? Users can choose two or three NOCs they’d like to support and provide updates on to start this thread. It would be nice if we could have users dedicated to following a certain NOC, so please try to avoid doubling up. Perhaps it would be wise indicate a first preference, second preference, etc. when choosing the nations you wish to support. Of course, users are welcome to support only a single NOC as well. Users could also support NOCs they feel aren’t getting enough attention still. There will be a list kept on the first post of this thread to help keep the thread organized as to which user is supporting which NOC(s). 

What should users post as a supporter of a nation? That’s mainly up to the user. Some suggestions would be some background info about your country, perhaps the history of your country at the Olympic Games, articles and other fun/interesting info about the athletes trying to qualify for or participating at the Games, updates/reminders/results for perspective/participating athletes, various multimedia (athlete/delegation social media posts, photos, etc.), and any other information of interest.

If any other issues or clarifications about the thread are needed, they’ll be added to this post.

Edited by Olympian1010

9 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

so the test will be the mixed ballet? categorized in the mixed category in the same way as the events (mixed doubles in badminton, table tennis, etc.)

No, it would be categorized as “open” because NOCs don’t have to use male athletes. They can still send all female teams. It’s similar to equestrian events, where quotas aren’t bound to athletes of a particular gender, except there are some more limitations applied in this case.

2 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

so the duo will be exclusively female? And the ballet will be mixed? so she will be in a mixed event? called ballet? or mixed ballet?

My interpretation of World Aquatics announcement is that the team event will “open” (like equestrian events). Men do not have to be included in the team, and as far as I can tell, remain ineligible in duet.

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

ARTISTIC SWIMMING NEWS

men can participate in ballet events; at most 2 can participate in ballet events; at most 2

https://www.lequipe.fr/Natation-synchronisee/Actualites/Les-hommes-autorises-a-participer-a-la-natation-artistique-aux-jo-de-paris-2024/1371299

Here’s my article on the change for those interested: https://medium.com/@Olympian1010/artistic-swimming-confirms-its-newest-innovation-for-paris-2024-men-699f669853dd

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted (edited)

The video question reportedly explained these were to be seen more as a coat of arms for each event (can’t remember the French term used.) I saw some claims they’ll animated like Tokyo’s as well. 

If this is the real deal, it’s certainly a fresh take on the pictogram genre. 

I believe the Reddit discussion was started by this thread on Twitter.

Edited by Olympian1010

1 hour ago, phelps said:

c'mon! 12 starters in the Speed Climbing event is a farce! :facepalm:

it will be a lot harder to qualify rather than winning a medal...

14* entries in speed climbing. The IFSC allocated their quota distribution the way I would have suggested. 

31 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

One question regarding shooting. 
there is a sentence which says quota can be obtained only in the final stage of the ISSF championship. 

Does that mean if at some event only athletes who have quota already reach final, there will be no quota allocated? And if yes what happens with that quota?

ok this is not a very realistic scenario, but could happen at the WCH 2023 where 4 quotas are distributed per event, and there will be many good shooters who won quota already. 

There’s nothing that directly handles an oddity like that, but based on the reallocation section it seems likely that the quota would just be allocated using the OROG

4 hours ago, dcro said:

According to this, "Tripartite Commission Invitation Places" have been officially renamed to "Universality Places".

Love it or hate it?

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/News/2021/10/2021-10-08-Qualification-System-Principles-Paris-2024.pdf?_ga=2.129229836.1201290215.1649170497-375143742.1619858130

This is actually what I’m most interested to see. I read the original news about this as a complete revamp of how the IOC handles universality, but the few documents published don’t seem too different from the past system.

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted
21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Im actually looking forward to this. It has potential. We see going to be going from the Worst Olympics in recent memory next year to something extraordinary opening the games in 2024. Can't wait!

Yeah, I was left with a positive outlook on large public opening ceremonies after Buenos Aires 2018. There’s clearly some places to improved, but I’m highly interested in how this idea will turn out.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

I mean after that TV production fiasco, to say the least, shooting is lucky to stay in the program.

That’s more of an OBS issue than an ISSF issue. If the IOC approached the ISSF with those concerns the ISSF could just show them broadcasts from the 2018 Asian Games, since those were done well and created very compelling television.

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

How is mixed kiteboarding even possible? It's an individual sport. Or were they planning to make women compete against men?

The original proposal was a “mixed kiteboard relay.” I never saw the planned format of the event though.

33 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Is there any difference in a team event or will they just take the time of the 4th fastest person (or combined the time of the four people). Like at least with relays there is a baton pass.

There’s no set format as of yet. The finalized format will be presented to the IOC EB at their December 2021 meeting.