website statistics
What events are you waiting for the most in Paris 2024?
Posted (edited)

I'll try to watch/follow just about any event I can, but the sports or events I'm looking most forward to are...

7. Breaking 

6. Canoe Slalom (all events)

5. Skateboard (all events)

4. Road Cycling (road races)

3. Sport Climbing (all events)

2. Equestrian Eventing

1. Triathlon (all events)

For me, I'm more interested in events held at unique venues, and/or close rivalries or other interesting storylines. I included breaking becuase I'm very curious to see what an Olympic competition looks like, and it how is received by those who tune-in and don't immediately dismiss it. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Badminton rankings will be finalized next week.

Users really want to give those quotas out :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

They have uniforms for medal cermonies etc? Sorry but this is overkill

It's been pretty standard to have separate uniforms for OC, CC, MC, and causal wear for the last few editions (at least for a lot of NOCs).

This thread provides a peak at some of the Nike sponsored uniforms for this summer.

Kenya will ditch the honeycomb look it seems.

I like the color splotch pattern for the track uniforms, but I wish they differed a bit between nation (in terms of orientation).

:USA skateboard uniforms continue to be quite different for other sports. I think these are good, but I’m interested in what the athletes think.

1 hour ago, Jur said:

I dont wanna be the barrer of bad news but I think that Golf doesnt have Universiality quotas if I'm not mistaken :(

If France doesn’t need to utilize their host quotas (one per gender), those turn into universality quotas according to the qualification system.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Have we gone back a year in time, or am I missing something? :p

Copy/Paste error from formatting error, but I feel hella dumb doing it in April :facepalm:

Team :ISV Update and Thoughts (April 2024)

Current Quotas: 2

Archery - 1 (men's individual recurve)

Fencing - 1 (men's foil)

Schembri and D'Amour qualifiying has provided some nice relief after a rather quiet qualification season. Both are certainly some of the islands' best athletic prospects. If they stay healthly and avoid any miscellaneous issues, I look forward to seeing what results they can achieve in Paris.

Ideal Quota Allocation: 6-8

@Topicmaster1010 simulated 8 quotas for Team ISV, which feels a bit generous at this moment (not that it wasn't appreicated :d). I'm definitely keeping my eye on Michelle Smith (athletics). If she can get a quota in the women's 400m hurdles, I believe that will garantee an additional male quota in athletics as well. Other than Smith, I can't envision any other quotas outside universality allocations. I have no idea which sports/athletes the NOC targeted, but the following allocation would leave me very pleased:

Archery - 1 (women's individual recurve)

Golf - 1 (women's individual) [Swayne had that nice 6th place result at Santiago 2023. It would be cool to see her compete in Paris.]

Swimming - 2

Sailing - ? [I don't feel like it was a particularly great cycle for the sailing team. Dale might be a candidate for a universality quota in ILCA7 though.]

Edited by Olympian1010

:ISV should now have a representative in fencing :d

I’ll be pretty happy if they can get additional quotas in archery, athletics, or any other sports. 

55 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Is anything really guaranteed in sport? 

It'd be a lot more boring if that was the case.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:14 PM, Laraja said:

:NCA and :ESA have quotas in surfing, at women and men's sides respectively. After ISA Games we will have a confirmation if other countries will be added to this list.

I wonder if they are eligible should either one of them qualify an athlete through the current competition? 

21 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

In some ways I can see it as a good thing, but then again, if you are a gymnast from the likes of Fiji or Samoa, are you really going to be able to travel to Hungary to compete or is this going to be another Oceania championship which is basically :AUS v :NZL

I'm not sure they exist :p

You can always count on the French to go with something original. I would agree that the front looks “clunky,” but I think these will grow on me over time.

I love the nods to the art-deco movement.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

For the Olympic medal, I would tend to agree. Front design of the Paralympic medal looks decent though. 

No, that’s still the backside. They have similar frontsides.