website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

44 minutes ago, MatiReimundo said:

and this olympics they shouldnt won all 8, they clearly lost the synchro against Mexico

So what you're saying is that there is a bias for the commies.  And against anyone who is against the dopers 

Edited by AmericanHero40

Table Tennis is getting much more competitive. Sweden & France had a great Olympics. There is always Japan Korea & Germany. China may have won all 5 golds but the sport is getting more competitive especially for the minor medals. Soon like with Badminton, TT will become a lot more competitive & will see a number of countries competing for medals. 

35 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Table Tennis is getting much more competitive. Sweden & France had a great Olympics. There is always Japan Korea & Germany. China may have won all 5 golds but the sport is getting more competitive especially for the minor medals. Soon like with Badminton, TT will become a lot more competitive & will see a number of countries competing for medals. 

Since 2008...

Women- 5 gold, 5 silver

Men - 5 gold, 4 silver 

Women team - 5 gold

Men team- 5 gold

Where is the competition? Anything? Buller?

Remove: football, golf, weightlifting, boxing, modern pentathlon, race walking, shooting and equestrian.

Add: seperate medals for boulder and lead, mountainbike downhill, ironman distance triathlon, seperate medals for track cycling omnium events (the elimination race and points race, skip the rest), more teams and bigger squads in all team sports (4 pools of 4, top 2 continue to quarterfinals, nice and clear).

Easy peasy, please let me host Amsterdam 1936.:cheer:

Korfball will be a demonstration sport.

OK...I apologise in advance, I LOVE this kinda crap, so this might go on a bit.

Principles :

1. While athlete numbers should not explode, the current quota limits are not sacrosanct, for the reason outlined in Principle 2

2. Having day -2 and -1 is all a bit silly, and there were actual nations eliminated in competitions prior to the Opening Ceremony. That is ridiculous and anti-Olympian. So yes, we need to bite the bullet and go to a three week/23 day Summer Games. This will have the advantage that we can bring athletes in and out of the village in shifts - perhaps with some kind of mid games ceremony for those leaving before the end, arriving after the start. In any event, having athletes in and out in shifts means no need to expand Olympic village

3. Venues should give bang for the buck - if you're gonna bother building and outfitting venues, use them as much as you can, if only to get more ticket sales - the idea of reducing events held in big builds is bonkers. Likewise, do not be afraid to spread team sports beyond the city like football does.

4. New sports and events should show some global reach to get in, but we shouldn't bin events with a history that currently lack it. Respect the history, even if we change it going forward.

5. Try not to get too hooked on judged events - the halo effect is dispiriting to other countries. Certainly don't create too many new ones - measurement should be objective and artistic expression is for the Tate Modern, not Wembley.

6. This one is important, I cannot repeat it enough. No Breaking. Just to be clear. None. No breaking ever, anywhere. And especially not in Australia. 

7. If a sport exists in multiple valid forms, try and reflect those forms unless it causes huge bloat.

:archery:

Archery : Currently 5 Events, 128 quotas (Men I, Mean T, Women I, Women T, Mixed T - all target, all recurve)

The invention of the Olympic scoring system breaking Archery into sets has been a huge success IMHO. It even introduces a bit of jeopardy in a sport that has one very dominant country. I don't see much need to introduce 'clout' or for that matter 'compound' archery, despite the relative popularity of the latter, it just feels lik recurve for weaker arms. I DO think there is room for a field archery styled event, testing archers on uneven ground, irregular targets and at pace.

Proposal : Keep all current events. Add 2 individual field events, based at the mountain bike course (which now becomes the 'outdoor/nature' venue), using fixed cameras above multiple targets designed to avoid crossfire risk, which archers attempt in a fixed order, walking between targets with a time penalty applicable for slow play, a bit like a golf course. Add 32 quotas total for these events. Consider 'barebow' as the bow in question. Real 'Robin Hood' quality to event.

Proposed : 7 Events, 160 Quotas if required, the men's and women's teams can be reduced to men's and women's pairs, with those 24 quotas going to the field event.

:running:

Athletics :  Currently 48 events, around 2000 quotas

To go:

4x400 mixed relay,

heptathlon

To come in :

Middle Distance Medley x 1 800 man, 800 woman, 1500 man, 1500 woman.,

women's decathlon x 1 I am open to idea that women's decathlon gets triple jump instead of PV and hammer instead of discus

cross-country x2 at the Outdoor/Nature venue

Athletics will continue to be the tentpole sport of the now third week of the Games. Cross Country will be at the end of week one. Only a few extra quotas will be required.

Proposed 50 events, quotas basically unchanged.

:swimming:

Aquatics:

Artistic swimming

Team to become mixed/open event, no other changes, no additions

Diving : currently 8 events

To go : none, but no more than 2 host places in synchro. Reduce individual dive quotas by 2 per event (16, not 18)

To add: Mixed team event x 1 - no extra quotas, up to 4 divers, but can compete with two. Entry based entirely on already qualified divers. 8 dives in following order : W10, M3, W3, M10, W3, M10, W10, W3

To add: High dive (20/27) at same venue as coastal rowing etc : 2 x 12

Swimming:

Bite the bullet, the public loves the splash and dash events, and swimming venues sell out. I get non swimming fans resent the number medals on offer, but they're not on offer to please non-swimming fans.

Add 50m strokes events = 6

Add 4 x 200 mixed medley relay. =1 (no extra quotas)

Open Water:

Add 4 x 2500 mixed relay =1 , no extra quotas needed.

Water polo

No changes

Proposal 11 extra events; new quota places for 50 metre strokes, otherwise broadly within quotas as is.

further point - try to use FIFA ranking system to give a more even spread of universality places

/1

5 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Since 2008...

Women- 5 gold, 5 silver

Men - 5 gold, 4 silver 

Women team - 5 gold

Men team- 5 gold

Where is the competition? Anything? Buller?

How often do you watch table tennis outside of the Olympics? :d

47 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Indian women have been great this year too!