website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How did your country perform at Paris Olympics 2024?

Not sure what the official definition of „star“ is, but here are my hopes for 2028:

Potential top 8 in pool swimming:

Lukas Märtens (200/400/800 free, 20 back)

Arne Schubert (400/800/1500 free, 400 IM)

Sven Schwarz (800/1500 free)

Oliver Klemet (400/800/1500 free)

Johannes Liebmann (800/1500 free)

Melvin Imodou (100/200 breast)

Lucas Matzerath (100/200 breast)

Kaii Winkler (100 free/fly)

Luca Armbruster (100 fly)

Cedric Büssing (200/400 IM)

Isabel Gose (400/800/1500 free)

Leonie Märtens (400/800/1500 free)

Angelina Köhler (100 fly)

Alina Baievych (200 fly)

Linda Roth (200 IM)

Potential top 8 in athletics:

Amanal Petros (Marathon)

Simon Batz (Long Jump)

Clemens Prüfer (discus throw)

Steven Richter (discus throw)

Mika Sosna (discus throw)

Max Dehning (javelin throw)

Merlin Hummel (hammer throw)

Amadeus Gräber (decathlon)

Leo Neugebauer (decathlon)

Olivia Gürth (3000 m SC)

Lea Meyer (3000 m SC)

Jolanda Kallabis (1500 m/3000 m SC)

Mikaelle Assani (long jump)

Yemisi Ogunleye (shot put)

Nina Ndubuisi (shot put)

Curly Brown (discus throw)

Milina Wepiwe (discus throw)

Mirja Lukas (javelin throw)

Sandrina Sprengel (heptathlon)

Other athletes that will hopefully make big improvements within the next four years:

Moritz Wesemann (Diving)

Luca Spiegel (track cycling)

Richard Vogel (equestrian)

Helen Briem (golf)

Helen Kevric (artistic gymnastics)

Alexandra Föster (rowing)

Anna Janssen (shooting)

Annett Kaufmann & Koharu Itagaki (table tennis)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Polish politics jumped on the Olympic-Train and now it is loud about investigate how the gov founding were spend and who is to blame.

Special parliamentary commission should be formed to interrogate athletes about their problems with the sports federations. Probably just for show, Olympics is now main topic in the media, so the politician are trying to score some points.

After two weeks no one will care and nothing will change.

47 minutes ago, FancyFenchel said:

Polish politics jumped on the Olympic-Train and now it is loud about investigate how the gov founding were spend and who is to blame.

Special parliamentary commission should be formed to interrogate athletes about their problems with the sports federations. Probably just for show, Olympics is now main topic in the media, so the politician are trying to score some points.

After two weeks no one will care and nothing will change.

Same thing happened in Mexico after the 1992 fiasco.

A friend of mine was head of the commission. The one and only result: the president of Mexico”s Olympic Committee made his life impossible ever since. 

🇲🇽 

5/10

Surprises:

Prisca Awiti winning an unexpected silver in judo

Heartbreaks:

Randal Willars’ last dive. He had the silver in his hands and lost it.

The lack of guts and/or intelligence of our taekwondo athletes.

Goals achieved.

No. The Olympic Committee expected 7 medals; the government head of sports expected 9.

Sports funding:

It is one fourth of what it was 10 years ago. It must go back to those levels.

Stars for 2028

Diver Osmar Olvera

And there will be flag football!

On 8/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, Book said:

:USA

9/10

Surprises and Heartbreak: 

Many surprises in track, men's 1500 with Hocker, 400 with Hall, and women's 100m hurdles with Russell come to mind. The one rowing gold was probably the only thing I didn't have on my radar. Swimming the surprise was Torri Huske's 100m butterfly, although that was a surprise against Walsh getting the win. Locking gold at the women's foil semis was a nice surprise watching it live. Outside of golds the women's rugby team probably got the most surprising medal, maybe US men's gymnastics bronze up there too. 

Lots of heartbreaks, 44 silvers will get you that. Jordan Chiles losing the floor bronze is still a fresh wound. Men's 200m and 4x100m were both tough to see. Swimming's heartbreak has to be Regan Smith's 3 individual silvers. Some disappointment in BMX and Skateboarding, no golds in either is not what's expected but at least there were medals. Beach volleyball not going anywhere was rough. US women's water polo not defending their gold and not medaling is the biggest team heartbreak.

Gotta highlight climbing, Brooke Raboutou's silver was the only positive of the team. Sure Sam Watson has a WR and bronze, but he would have gotten into the finals without a slip. Colin Duffy with 4th and Natalia Grossman not making it to finals are both massive heartbreaks for what on paper should have been the strongest boulder/lead team after Japan and Austria. Interestingly, Japan ended up having identical results as the US, a 4th and a 2nd.

Goals Achieved

Nothing officially is set by the USOC in terms of results, but we all know what the expectation is: 1st place in the medal table. In that regard, it's a tight but in the end proper success backed up by the highest total medal count of a non-hosted games. There's strong foundations going into LA to have a blockbuster Olympics where I think the goal will be an ambitious 50 golds and 150 medals. 

Future Investment

You're going to see lots of Lacrosee, Flag Football, and Softball money in the US in the next 4 years. Cricket will also get a huge boost. I don't think there will be much changes in the basic US team formula: focus on the big 3 (athletics, swimming, women's gymnastics) with hope the diversity and strength of the country's sport infrastructure can produce stars in a plethora of individual events and rank in most team events. 

2028 Stars:

Ledecky, Richardson, and Lyles should still be competing for the home games and expecting to achieve more than they did in Paris. The new generation of swimmers will need to form in the next 4 years but Torri Huske and Gretchen Walsh will lead that pack to SOFI. Too many stars in track and field that will still be at the height of their game in LA. 

If the NFL allows their players to compete in flag football there will be a new crop of athletes that rival the biggest basketball stars.

There is no reason to retype this, so i'll add to it if you don't mind

Heartbreak - Biles making mistakes twice on one day and missing a chance for 5 golds. Ellison missing a gold based on centimeters. Jagger Eaton losing a gold on the last trick. Mix Team Skeet missing a gold by one miss. Triathlon Mixed Relay photo finish, Nevin Harrison also photo finish. I don't know if i consider Shelby McEwen, after all he had the gold in his grasp, Brooke Raboutou (I know it's a great achievement for her, and wasn't realistic for her to beat Garnbert, but still it was so close), Men's Gymnastics (Especially Stephen Nedoroscik!)

Surprises - Kristen Faulkner! Hocker, Hall, Russell

Disappointments - Beach Volleyball, Women's Water Polo, The swimming team

On 8/12/2024 at 10:45 PM, yaky22 said:

For :ISR

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10: 

8/10, on one side, it was our most successful Olympics with seven medals, but out of the none medalist very few do well, and all of these I thought wi get gold get silver 

2. What were the suprises and heartbreaks?

The main surprise was Tom Reuveny who won the gold in iqfoil, he was expected to be at about 6-8 place like he did in moat big competitions and he took home the gold even beating the Dutch favorite 

The biggest heartbreak was how our sport Channel went to athletes after thier loss without letting them get a few moments to rest and getting some hard to watch interviews (with avishag Samberg or Luna champaign salpeter) 

3. Was your country's goal achieved? 

Yes and no, the medals goal was achieved by far with 7 to 5 who were expected, but only 14 finals for the 18 who were expected (in events without a final, top 12 is final for this count ) 

4.Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? Current / Upcoming sports

More judo, sailing and gymnastics, also archery is doing great things for now, but money will be wierd now as a result of the situation 

5. Who could be some the potential star for your country in LA?

We have a great new generation of rhythmic gymnasts along side some good male artistic gymnasts, the women judo team will stay about the same and will be stars and the windsurfing will continue to be amazing, overall I expect la to be the best Olympic we will ever have with a team of 120 athletes and around the same amount of medals as this time 

מה המצב?

i agree with your assessment, all the medals are amazing! but outside of them not too many achievements, it's a bit disappointing that Kantor or Dolgopyat didn't win gold, but at least they won something, other judokas lost pretty easily and i was hoping at least more then 1 can get to the quarters, Samberg wasn't at her best, Also Salpeter was leading but this course was just too tough for her. The soccer team could've been better, just one win against mali and things could've looked differently.

But, 7 medals, after the current situation in the country, is incredible, and hopefully i can see some medals here live in 2028. Want to mention Peter Paltchik who had threats on his life leading up to the opening ceremony and went out there and shoved it in the face of the haters!