website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 6

3 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Sailing heads, is the iq foil FINAL a series of races between the three or a straght up final?

Straight up final which determines medal colour I think 

2 minutes ago, Jon said:

Straight up final which determines medal colour I think 

It seems silly, if its on the same day as the semi's etc then everyone else is going to be competing and learning the course conditions for the day, but at least shes in!

39 minutes ago, JamDH said:

I'd argue its futile for any country to expect a gold in the road races.

I don't think Olympicsnell was *expecting* a gold in the road race. They were using that as an example of the events which are a lottery and which can determine whether this is a 'good' Olympics or a 'great' Olympics.

Hell, the BMX racing is another one. Shriever has looked great but the event has so many crashes that you wouldn't expect a gold from it, even if you have a strong contender. You can easily get taken out even if you do nothing wrong. It's not like, say, swimming, where the chance of being taken out should be pretty low.

So glad that Andy went out fighting. It looked like they'd limp out but, as the commentators said, they somehow got us believing again. It was a little too late for this match but still amazing to watch Andy (with Dan's help) rage against the dying of the light.

The 42 consecutive weeks at number 1 and the 2 Olympic titles probably a better measure of his quality than the number of slams. If he was 10 years older he would have had three times as many. The people who love to put him down like to say it was never a big 4 but for about 4 years it absolutely was.

18 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I don't think Olympicsnell was *expecting* a gold in the road race. They were using that as an example of the events which are a lottery and which can determine whether this is a 'good' Olympics or a 'great' Olympics.

Hell, the BMX racing is another one. Shriever has looked great but the event has so many crashes that you wouldn't expect a gold from it, even if you have a strong contender. You can easily get taken out even if you do nothing wrong. It's not like, say, swimming, where the chance of being taken out should be pretty low.

Yeah that is exactly what i meant :)

Shriver looks better than she has all season i think, race to that first corner, hit it first and i dont see anyone catching her, but again what i highlighted you said above

Solid evening in the pool. Duncan, Tom and Ben all got the job done with little fuss. Honey and Katie both did excellently to make the final.

The 5th place in the relay is about as good as we could have hoped without misfortune for one of the teams above us. Same with Laura really, she might have been 1 or 2 places higher but she was never going to be in medal contention.

The big "what if" is Greenbank's DQ the other day. Not sure he'd have had the pace to medal but we'll never know...

4 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Yeah that is exactly what i meant :)

Shriver looks better than she has all season i think, race to that first corner, hit it first and i dont see anyone catching her, but again what i highlighted you said above

She's looked great but so have Sakakibara and Willoughby. In a clean race those 3 look like the most obvious podium, in some order. Now let's hope for a clean race....

3 hours ago, Rich said:

So glad that Andy went out fighting. It looked like they'd limp out but, as the commentators said, they somehow got us believing again. It was a little too late for this match but still amazing to watch Andy (with Dan's help) rage against the dying of the light.

The 42 consecutive weeks at number 1 and the 2 Olympic titles probably a better measure of his quality than the number of slams. If he was 10 years older he would have had three times as many. The people who love to put him down like to say it was never a big 4 but for about 4 years it absolutely was.

The Big three acknowledge his place among them. That's probably good enough. for me he is something else, something maybe less grand, but more noble. He was the one mortal who bridged the gap to the three gods, even if only for a while. Twice he made 'the catch' - in 2013 when he won 2 of four slams and the Olympics in one year, and the miracle end of 2016 with another grand slam/olympic double along with ATP finals and World number one, and a deep run in the Davis Cup - on both occasions he was unquestionably in a 'big four' - and on both occasions injury intervened to curtail his run, the second time permanently - he was brave post 2019, but never the same player - that's what happens when mortals challenge gods - ask Odysseus, or Prometheus.

But  by the gods, he loved trying, and no story of the reign of the Big Three in years to come will be possible to tell without him.

And in the end, he left on his own terms, as himself. Raging against the dying of the light, manufacturing little miracles out of sheer will, and loving being THE olympic legend in the men's side of the sport. Rafa owns the clay, Djok the Australian, and with Fed, Wimbledon. But The Olympics, that odd little add on, belongs to Murray. He was Olympian, and that's good enough.

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Gold & Silver for  in the Mixed 10m Air Rifle!
    • Italy will raise it to Jury.   Perini's cellphone was in the bag which was kept in the boat. It was not intentional as per him.
    • Giacomo Perini, who originally won bronze in men’s PR1 single sculls, were found to be using communication equipment during the final and has been excluded from the event (ranked dead last) 
    • And last but not least, American gold for the women.  
    • Incredible drama though, with a huge last 200m charge from ! 
    • Oksana Zubkovska just won her 5th consecutive gold in women's long jump at the age of 41. She's just fenomenal woman, who tried to convince doctors that she is healthy at her junior age. 
    • It might have some advantages, I get that, but it doesn't take away the fact that you simply can't make a remotely fair league standing when teams don't all play each other. There's no way you can compare team A and B on number of points gained when they didn't play the same teams (and/or each other)...
    • I'm as traditional and anti-Super League as anyone you can get, but i'm optimistic about the new format.   For one it's still totally opposite of what the Super League wants to be. We don't have a closed league with 30+ matches in a season and you also depend on the domestic leagues to qualify.    Also, as good as the old group stage format was, the last few years it became very double sided in my view. In the 2000s and early 2010s it was much more interesting, when the teams were more equal in strength and surprises happened. But in the past few years, with all the money involved the gap is widening between the elite 10 teams and the rest.    And we usually got 2-3 really strong groups, where some teams got screwed and then we had 5 rather easy groups, with the big teams there had a cruise to the knockout stage, where after 3 matches it was virtually known what the final standing will be.   Now in the new format, where the knockout bracket is fixed by the positions in the league, there will be intrigue till the end i reckon. Plus with only 1 match between teams, there is a higher chance for a smaller team to upset a bigger one. If you have Man City - Sparta in 2 matches, you definitely know City are winning at minimum 1 of them. But in only 1 round, if they miss to beat Sparta, then lose to team 2 and have another draw with a smaller team, then their position in the table is affected much more serious.   I also really like, that after the league phase, we don't get teams dropping to the lower competitions. I have enough of teams like Barcelona or Man Utd phoning and moaning, when they drop to the Europa League. If you don't make the knockouts you are out, done..   The one thing i definitely don't like about the switch is that they gave 2 of the extra spots again to the top Nations with this bogus "best country coef. in a year" spot. They should have given them to the Q nations. The top 5 leagues have enough teams already. 
    • Lill was well on her way to silver, had a small but 'annoying' fall and just seemed to be kind of broken from then on, with first Terpstra catching her and at the end Berta doing the same