website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 4 (July 30)

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Since the program is different relative to 2020, I usually like to compare to which events have been completed in both editions.

Using the current completed events, Canada in 2020 would have had 1G-3S-3B. We are down one medal. Unsurprisingly, swimming is behind. So is judo, but they could go even once the program is completed.

I had us projected for 27-28, and to have five at this point... so, I think having six is just peachy

10 hours ago, Surlympics said:

But isn’t the USA women’s basketball team unbeatable 

Just saw this reply, no the US aren’t unbeatable in women’s 3x3 basketball. I could see any of seven teams on the podium (except Azerbaijan), and Azerbaijan isn’t even a bad team, I think they could get a couple of wins. 

Overall, a meh day. 

Highlight of the day was for sure our women’s rugby sevens team winning a historic first ever silver medal (and best ever finish) for Canada in this sport, beating Australia in the semifinals and losing (barely) to New Zealand in the gold medal match. Other good results were Eric Peters advancing to the round of 16 in men’s archery, including a great win over Bomadareva in a shootout where he shot 7 10s in a row to close out the match, Felix Auger-Aliassime winning his round of 32 match handily against Koepher 6-0, 6-1, women’s 3x3 team demolishing Australia in group stage action (too many fouls though), men’s basketball team defeating Australia 93-83 in group stage action, Illya Kharun’s men’s 200m butterfly heat and semifinal, and Felix Auger-Aliassime/Gaby Dabrowski advancing to the quarterfinals in mixed doubles tennis somewhat (wasn’t very convincing)

As for the disappointments, men’s volleyball team getting swept by France (expected more of an effort from the boys), Catherine Beauchemin-Pinard and Francois Gauthier-Drapeau both losing in the first round of repechage in women’s 63kg/men’s 81kg judo, and Josh Liendo failing to make it into the men’s 100m freestyle final with a terrible time. Hope it’s a bad swim and nothing else.