website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

Kazakh, Polish, Azeri, Canadian and a "neutral" judge I think. But it wasn't about where they were from, it was about where they were. Even the French girl knew she lost that. The fact that the next Olympics are in the US is probably the only thing that might keep boxing on the programme. But we really need to be focusing our resources elsewhere. Get the velodrome built for starters.

1 minute ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Kazakh, Polish, Azeri, Canadian and a "neutral" judge I think. But it wasn't about where they were from, it was about where they were. Even the French girl knew she lost that. The fact that the next Olympics are in the US is probably the only thing that might keep boxing on the programme. But we really need to be focusing our resources elsewhere. Get the velodrome built for starters.

Yep, always assume zero medals in boxing when making your predictions because you can’t rely on anything.

7 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Great effort from Fannon, 2NRs and 10th overall in the 50 free, unlucky not to make the final but he could do no more. 

Great performance and already talking about the next 4 years and going for a medal, love to hear that!

No complaints with this one, it's no problem when they're beaten fair and square. The Tajik boxer is too good for Marley. That concludes our involvement in the men's boxing. Week 2 looking an awful lot quieter than week 1 for us in general, other than the athletics there are some very quiet days from an Irish point of view.

God the RTE commentary in swimming is abysmal. John Kenny and Nick O’Hare sound like they are 2 drunk guys coming home from a pub trying to comment on the race. And they both slur as well when speaking too which makes it even worse :d 

3 hours ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Not being smart now but boxing gets very little funding. Some of the athletes are carded but the gyms most of them fight out of are literally just halls

And the fighters generally come from areas where there are very few options in what sport they participate. 

Theres literally no way Kellie Harrington plays any sport other than boxing, football or Gaelic football. 

That’s just one example but it’s the same for most of them. 

I know we have a HPU unit but that’s 4 coaches and the rest is already established sport council gyms etc 

Edited by dodge