website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

12 minutes ago, RussB said:

No Jacob Peters - massive hit to the medley relays. 😢 they clearly are prioritising the men’s free relays above the medley relays with macmillan and whittle both getting rather fortuitous picks in my view. I thought we had a genuine medal chance in the men’s medley relay and possibly the mixed too but GB Aquatics clearly don’t share the same optimism.

I'd guess that the reason that Peters ultimately didn't get selected was because he finished 3rd so they couldn't justify picking him over Gammon given the priority they give to performances in the final.  

11 minutes ago, RussB said:

Exactly. That’s all we have now and Guy was awful in the fly at nationals. Peters has been the number 1 in the country for a while… I must admit I really don’t understand this decision at all. They found a way to nominate Angharad in related circumstances (swimming the time in the heat but not the final) despite the female medley relay missing the time. 
I felt the 200 had enough cover with Joe being in the team (and Max) but there we are, they have gone super conservative for the free relays at the expense of the medley. 

To be fair to Evans, she won her event whilst Peters was only third in his final so the circumstances aren't all that related. Although I do agree with you that they are putting too much emphasis on the freestyle relays at the expense of the other events. 

3 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

To be fair to Evans, she won her event whilst Peters was only third in his final so the circumstances aren't all that related. Although I do agree with you that they are putting too much emphasis on the freestyle relays at the expense of the other events. 

You have to factor in the insane decisions on timetabling that will particularly affect Richards and Scott

23 minutes ago, RussB said:

Exactly. That’s all we have now and Guy was awful in the fly at nationals. Peters has been the number 1 in the country for a while… I must admit I really don’t understand this decision at all. They found a way to nominate Angharad in related circumstances (swimming the time in the heat but not the final) despite the female medley relay missing the time. 
I felt the 200 had enough cover with Joe being in the team (and Max) but there we are, they have gone super conservative for the free relays at the expense of the medley. 

Angharad won the trial - she's the number one on her stroke. Peters came third. He may be GB #1 but he screed it up - badly. And since Litchfield automatically gets a spot under the rules, there's not the urgency that there is to give Angharad a spot - without Litchfield, there's still a team, using guy. without Angharad, there is no team.

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Trust me I get it which is why I didn't say they were the same circumstances. But to me semantics needs to be put aside when the management is tasked with bringing home the most medals. This is precisely why discretion was so high up in the priority list for selection. They had the scope to put him in, but have left us with a fly swimmer who barely swims the event in Joe (absolutely amazing result to win the trials), and who I'm pretty sure the management do not want to be swimming in the relay.

Dean's schedule isn't so bad now that he misses the 100 and 200 individuals, so wouldn't need to be rested, alongside Jimmy. It is only Scott and Richards that need help with the workload.

The rest of the selections I think are sensible, not taking Amelie I do understand given her performances at trials were not close enough to the consideration times. It is good to see Eva going in the relay, and Anderson as most of us were agreed had to be selected. I am pleased for Angharad, as thought the womens medlay relay should go but to me it is one selection that is wrong. Do we really need to take BOTH Macmillan and Whittle? 

9 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Angharad won the trial - she's the number one on her stroke. Peters came third. He may be GB #1 but he screed it up - badly. And since Litchfield automatically gets a spot under the rules, there's not the urgency that there is to give Angharad a spot - without Litchfield, there's still a team, using guy. without Angharad, there is no team.

I agree although I disagree with the urgency point. Angharad has no chance of a medal via her inclusion (either individual or the mixed relay). On the other hand, you include Peters and the mens medlay relay is a real medal contender. So to me, it is relatively more urgent in this regard to include Jacob.

32 minutes ago, RussB said:

Trust me I get it which is why I didn't say they were the same circumstances. But to me semantics needs to be put aside when the management is tasked with bringing home the most medals. This is precisely why discretion was so high up in the priority list for selection. They had the scope to put him in, but have left us with a fly swimmer who barely swims the event in Joe (absolutely amazing result to win the trials), and who I'm pretty sure the management do not want to be swimming in the relay.

Dean's schedule isn't so bad now that he misses the 100 and 200 individuals, so wouldn't need to be rested, alongside Jimmy. It is only Scott and Richards that need help with the workload.

The rest of the selections I think are sensible, not taking Amelie I do understand given her performances at trials were not close enough to the consideration times. It is good to see Eva going in the relay, and Anderson as most of us were agreed had to be selected. I am pleased for Angharad, as thought the womens medlay relay should go but to me it is one selection that is wrong. Do we really need to take BOTH Macmillan and Whittle? 

Prehaps the management were not particularly desperate for Peters to swim it either. 

So the only difference from my planned squad I posted after the champs is Whittle for Hanlon. A fair enough swap. With Evans only having one individual event, she shouldn't be taxed with 2 rounds of the women's medley.

I'm not worried about not taking Peters. Yes he's been British #1 but if you look at his times over the last 18 months, they are not dissimilar from Guy's. I'd back Guy getting back to his best over Jacob suddenly taking a step forward. And that's assuming that Joe doesn't drop time himself now that he knows he has a spot there.