website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Fed cup is approaching... It looks like Czechs will face Switzerland in the World Group Semifinal without Kvitova and Safarova. 

Europe/Africa Zone Group II will be played in Cairo, Egypt (13-16 April) and Slovenia already withdrew. Seven teams will compete:

:AUT - Tamira Paszek, Barbara Haas, Julia Grabher, Sandra Klemenschits
:BIH - Dea Herdzelas, Ema Burgic Bucko, Anita Husaric, Nefisa Berberovic
:DEN - Caroline Wozniacki, Karen Barritza, Emilie Francati, Mai Grage
:EGY - Sandra Samir, Ola Abou Zekry, Lamis Alhussein Abdel Aziz, Laila Elnimr
:FIN - Piia Suomalainen, Emma Laine, Mia Nicole Eklund, Milka-Emilia Pasanen
:LIE - Stephanie Vogt, Kathinka von Diechmann, Sylvie Zund
:LTU - Paulina Bakaite, Gerda Zykute, Iveta Daujotaite, Edita Liachoviciute

I'd say Lithuania is going to be relegated for sure, while three teams more will fight to stay in Group II. Draw will be important. Maybe Egypt can survive on home soil. 

Asian/Oceanian Zone Group II will be played in Hua Hin, Thailand. It was announced few months ago that NZ will skip the competition for the second year in a row. Which is nonsense and I really hate that policy, if they cannot count on some success, they won't bother participating and to spend money.

No Fed Cup again for New Zealand's Marina Erakovic and rising young guns

Tennis New Zealand hasn't entered a team to play in the Fed Cup for the second straight year.

While the likes of Bahrain, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pacific Oceania, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan will all play in the Asia/ Oceania group II tie in Thailand in April, New Zealand will be missing. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/76397774/No-Fed-Cup-again-for-New-Zealands-Marina-Erakovic-and-rising-young-guns

Spoiler

Tennis NZ CEO Steve Johns admitted they wouldn't have been able to field a team that had a realistic chance of gaining promotion.

"It came down to our ability to put together a credible team that would compete with distinction," Johns said.
In 2011 New Zealand pulled out of the tournament at late notice when Marina Erakovic decided to play a WTA tournament instead and Sacha Jones was injured.
Because of this, New Zealand, who were world quarterfinalists in 1965 and 1971, was given a one-year ban and automatically relegated into group II by the International Tennis Federation.
New Zealand competed in 2013 and 2014.
Last month Erakovic, who with 18 wins has more Fed Cup singles victories than any other New Zealand player, was asked if she was keen on playing.
"I'm definitely available to play but is there a team?" Erakovic said. 
"That's their (Tennis NZ's) department, to see the talent and who to send."
The inability to field a team highlights the state of women's tennis in New Zealand.
There are only two New Zealand women players with world rankings, Erakovic at 141 and Claudia Williams at 1182.
In the juniors, there's Jade Lewis at 60 and Rosie Cheng at 291. Tennis NZ are pinning hopes on 14-year-old Australian based Valentina Ivanov, who is one of three players in their elite targeted athletes programme.
Cheng and Lewis will be 18 next year and look to have bright futures ahead of them. Lewis is likely to go on to the women's circuit, and Cheng is heading down the US college path.
"It would be our preference to put a team in each year," Johns said.
"The depth of the women's game isn't strong.
"I'd like to think it's not too far before we can start putting a team together we know can go into the competition and perform with distinction."

And when I see Bahrain and Tajikistan are going with a team :wall:

:BRN
:INA (Beatrice Gumulya, Lavinia Tananta, Deria Nur Haliza, Vita Taher, Jessy Rompies)
:IRI
:HKG
:KGZ
:MAS
Pacific Oceania (Steffi Carruthers, Abigail Tere-Apisah, Ayana Rengiil, Mayka Zima) :clap:
:PAK
:PHI
:SIN
:SRI
:TJK
:TKM

Europe/Africa Zone Group III again in Ulcinj, Montenegro

Expected teams at the moment:

:ALG:ARM:CYP:GRE:ISL:IRL, Kosovo, :LUX, :MKD (finally Macedonia with a team :clap: ), 
:MAD - Sandra Andriamarosoa, Zarah Razafimahatratra, Seheno Razafindramaso and Faniry Andrianjafitrimo. Captain: Natacha Randriantefy
:MLT:MDA, :MNE, :MAR, :MOZ, :NOR, :TUN

Edited by Wanderer

Honestly, I doubt Kerber can beat Vika now... She was breadsticked by Bertens, and struggled with Babos. Keys had like 40 unforced errors... I know she also was match point down in Melbourne 1st round, but it would be too much for me if she beat Azarenka again!

Vika for Indian Wells-Miami double :cheer:

I also wouldn't mind Sveta winning the title, it would be great story, winning for the second time ten years later :bowdown:

Interesting fact, there were 4 Russian players in quarterfinals, with French-Russian semifinals... 

Kerber seems to be back, its really great to see that she can reach the semifinal of such a big tournament, although she isnt at 100% and in addition to that this surface is too slow for her. This is her best result ever in Miami and she is back to number 2. :yes

Cmon Angie, you can beat guest again! :p

Wilander quit working with Keys after just 8 days ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.